Soaking wild pork in ice water

Mark1970

I know this web site is more focused on cervids, but there are at least some pig hunters in here.
Getting deer meat wet is considered a no-no, but I have heard multiple folks that intentionally submerge their wild pork in ice water for some period of time (hours to days).

I *think* the logic is that it will help drain the blood out of the meat which makes it taste better and also that it is a form of wet aging to make it more tender.

Is there anyone out there that does this practice and can confirm its use?

A lot of people I know use that logic for both deer and wild pigs. For a food safety perspective its fine I've never heard of anyone getting sick and I've done it plenty. Both purposely because I listened to others when I was younger and some just because there was no choice other than the meat had sit in ice water because I couldn't put it up yet. But to claim it makes it taste better is dumb ol wife's tale. I fine meat a lot easier to handle and keep working area clean when it is drier. Treat wild pigs just like any other meat. At the end of the day meat is meat.

Like JTHOMP stated above it happens often when coolers holding quarters are not drained. I personally don't like it and go out of my way to keep the meat as dry as possible. I don't like the color or texture of the meat and doubt flavor is any better. I suggest YOU keep it DRY, CLEAN and COLD

As far as aging, I don't know much. Before cooking however, I always use a cold water bath for a few hours with any kind of meat. Just did it with some fish that sat in the fridge a day too long. Use really clean water (I use RO) to establish an osmotic gradient. Water pulls out the blood and the meat has a cleaner flavor. Just be sure to let it dry completely before it hits the pan.

I always soak my geese and uplands at least overnight in saltwater (but not heavy brine). Makes a world of difference. Helps remove a lot of blood and makes the meat MUCH moister. Soak a Thanksgiving turkey overnight in saltwater in a five gallon bucket and you'll notice a huge difference when it's cooked.

I’ve killed quite a few hogs and most of the time it is hot enough down here it’s almost impossible to keep them dry in a cooler on ice - put as much ice on the meat as you can. If they’re in water just make sure it’s ice cold. Meat will be fine.

I appreciate all the info.
I have had meat get wet in ice water in the past.
A lot of the blood did end up in the water and the meat came out a lighter color. I thought the meat was going to be destroyed, but it was fine.

They shoot a lot of hogs in TX, and this south TX butcher mentioned that he soaks his meat in ice water. I figure he probably knows what he is doing.

The CA pigs I have harvested so far were fine, but I want a method figured out in case I get a stinky one some day.

I have found there is a certain point of big stinky boar that the meat becomes much less palatable - no amount of soaking makes the big nasty boars any better . Pic below is one my daughter shot a couple months ago, he was a bit rank but still edible. Much bigger than this and I won’t eat them.

Attachments

• 5051078F-FA6A-407F-935C-BAD55BD03FC3.jpeg
    5051078F-FA6A-407F-935C-BAD55BD03FC3.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
I know this web site is more focused on cervids, but there are at least some pig hunters in here.
Getting deer meat wet is considered a no-no, but I have heard multiple folks that intentionally submerge their wild pork in ice water for some period of time (hours to days).

I *think* the logic is that it will help drain the blood out of the meat which makes it taste better and also that it is a form of wet aging to make it more tender.

Is there anyone out there that does this practice and can confirm its use?
I sometimes do this with game meat, but I brine them, not just soak them in plain ice water. The salt draws the blood out way faster than plain ice water would. I also use kosher or sea salt which is absorbed at a slower rate than processed iodized salt that gives us overweight guys problems with sodium issues. I have done this with deer too. I definitely do it on heart and liver.

I pretty much pack all of my meat on ice for a minimum of 1 week. Pack the ice around the meat real good. Put the cooler in the shade, put a brick under 1 end of the cooler and pull the drain plug so when the ice melts the water runs out of the cooler and add ice as needed through the week. Most of the time I only add ice a couple times. I have kept mule deer like this for 2 weeks and they were the best deer I ate....

I dont add salt.

I have found there is a certain point of big stinky boar that the meat becomes much less palatable - no amount of soaking makes the big nasty boars any better .
Nice harvest!
I saw another post of a guy that soaks his "stinky boar" in vinegar water. He thought it some how had a reaction with the meat.
Those big boars have the glands hidden in them. Do you think that the stink is from the glands, and thus maybe can be cut out, or is it through out the whole pig?

I sometimes do this with game meat, but I brine them, not just soak them in plain ice water. The salt draws the blood out way faster than plain ice water would. I also use kosher or sea salt which is absorbed at a slower rate than processed iodized salt that gives us overweight guys problems with sodium issues. I have done this with deer too. I definitely do it on heart and liver.
Kosher salt is a good suggestion! Thanks for that. I usually use table salt and it can make my birds a bit salty tasting if not careful. Soaking them in freshwater overnight in the fridge keeps the meat moist when cooked. Adding salt helps draw the blood out, especially wounded areas. Definitely would not allow birds to soak longer than overnight in refridgerated freshwater before cooking. They can set in cold saltwater for a couple of days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back