So. WY advice

Focus

Me and an old buddy from my days back East are meeting in So. WY in a couple of weeks to reconnect after not seeing each other for over a decade, explore, see the sites and for me, scout out some antelope hunting places. Me and my sons drew doe/fawn tags for Unit 51 on the CO border.

Reason for the post is that I'm seeking some advice about where to go...specifically looking for some good NF campgrounds along Hwy 130 between Saratoga and Centennial.

Does this stretch of road get hammered with tourists during mid-July? Are there places to avoid? Places to definitely hit? Any good bars, restaurants or lodges that should be hit along the way?

I've compiled a list of places in both Saratoga and Centennial, plus one or two places in Encampment to go check out.....museums, sporting goods/taxidermy stores, etc. Any other must-see sites?

Any must-do hikes in that area?

The antelope scouting is a matter of driving some roads south of Encampment and making sure what's open and what's not. I've done a pretty good map-study of the unit and know where I want to go. I would be curious to know if there are any antelope to be found on NF ground specifically in the southeastern side of the unit. There seems to be plenty of BLM land in that unit and for doe/fawn I can't imagine filling at least some of the 6 tags we have would be much of a problem (famous last words I know).

Thanks in advance for any knowledge y'all might be able to impart upon me.

Focus

Hotel Wolf in Saratoga for an amazing burger and Mom's diner for breakfast. I hope the cinnamon rolls are as good as I remember.

Go by and see Warden at Koyoty Sports in Saratoga. Hit the free hot springs up, they also have bathrooms and showers if you have been camping.

I camp West of Centennial sometimes and it's really not to busy. Lots of camping spots with tables and vault toilets as well as some much better spots outside the campgrounds if you prefer.

Keep an eye out for moose.

I hunted 51 last year and have another tag in that area. PM me and I can give you my experiences. Lots of Antelope out there. Just have to navigate the private land.

Correcton: Mom's Kitchen. On the main highway, going north out of town, west side of the road

Huh, either I am blind or that is no longer in business. Probably just blind.

Places I like to go in the area.

Lollypops is good with the family but more sandwiches and ice cream. JW Hugus is also pretty good, the taco salad is great while sitting on the patio watching the river flow by.

in Centennial Beartree must have the best cooks or cheap booze as their parking lot was over flowing the last time I drove through, and others in town were empty.

French Creek CG is isolated and has vault toilets. The creek is really nice to camp next to. If I remember correctly there is a restaurant/bar called the Mangy Moose in Riverside or Encampment.

French Creek CG is isolated and has vault toilets. The creek is really nice to camp next to. If I remember correctly there is a restaurant/bar called the Mangy Moose in Riverside or Encampment.
IIRC the max seating capacity of the bar is higher than the population listed driving into town! :D If it's open, it's worth a stop though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back