Yeti GOBOX Collection

So for those of you in training for your Elk hunt, all going according to plan?

While my wife was pregnant I put on about 10 extra pounds, but all the carrying of baby, bags, and gear and pushing the stroller afterwards has me down 10 pounds from where I started! My daughter was colicky and also enjoyed being lifted overhead like a press and swinging side to side for core work. The little ones can be good workout equipment!

Anything is better than nothing but it definitely seems to come in spurts for me. Pack weight work outs and some cardio have been great for me. You can't outwork the fork and that's such a critical part of it IMO. My hunting partner decided he was too heavy so he started eating a mostly paleo diet like myself and another buddy of ours. He's dropped from 275 to around 210 in 6 months or so. He's rocking it.

Paleo is the TRUTH. I shredded off 45 pounds in under 3 months 2 years ago when I took up bow hunting for elk. It may have saved my life! I still stick to paleo "guidelines" but am not as strict as I was when losing the weight. I usually crank it back up about now to lose the 5 pounds or so i add during the off season. Tell him great work!

I've lost about 10lbs since winter. 10lbs more and I'd be very happy. I try to lift and do cardio(run 3+ miles, bike 30 minutes) 3 days a week, sometimes I slack, other times I get really motivated.

I like tasty food and good beer too much. I'll have a great week, clean eating, little beer...and then the weekend comes and I'll slip. I've got a month until the scouting trip and 67 days til our hunt. I can probably muster up enough motivation to reach my goals by then. I'll probably strap on the rock salt bag to the pack and start hiking the State Park this week.

Could I do far more? Yup. Could I do far worse? Yup.

Two months ago I started working out and needed to lose 10 pounds to hit my goal weight of 150. I now need to lose 13 pounds to hit that goal. I've got a bulged disc in my lower back, knee problems, and a constant battle with plantars fasciitis so I need to be careful with my workouts so I don't aggravate anything. The last couple of weeks I've started ramping it up doing hill sprints at the local park, and elliptical and stairclimber at the gym, along with some light weight lifting. If I could start eating better the pounds would be peeling off, but it's tough with a pregnant wife doing the grocery shopping. There are way too many good tasting foods in the house right now. I've been spoiled hunting NM the last couple of years with relatively mild terrain. Wyoming this year will be a rude awakening, but I can't wait!

Had to have some small surgeries on my back that has kicked me out of training for the last month. Hoping my appointment Tuesday allows me to get back going.

I train year round, miss some gym time here and there due to travel and work but am basically at it all year, run 5 miles a day with a 10 miler thrown in most weeks.

Getting ready to step up the leg training, with the running I do I rarely train legs so it is time to start, there are some stairs in the woods nearby that I will carry a heavy pack up as well, there steep and probably 200 feet of elevation gain!

I have a 2.3 mile uphill (4.6 miles Round trip) run that a group of us do every Tuesday. Adding that to my training runs has made a huge improvement in my speed and power.

The social aspect of training with other people has become the anchor of my social life. Tuesday mornings, Wednesday nights, and Sunday morning long runs.

Started carrying my pack while walking the dog. didn't realize their would be that much difference on the leg mussels going up hill. also doing some exercises at the jim for the rest of my body.also having a little problem with my knees going down hill.

I woke up this morning, quick drink of water, a few stretches and out for a short hilly run, i admit, i used to love running, i don't feel the same these days!
Reading a post on here referring to squats, i have done them in the past, and i think i will incorporate a few into my build up now, good idea.

Cheers

Richard

Yes, plan is working well at this point. Like you Richard an injury would be a big problem with such a big trip on the line!

I try and keep fit all year by hunting and sticking to my exercise regime. I do 3 decent runs a week (with hills but no weight anymore), Muay Thai, swimming and yoga once a week.

Recovering from a shoulder injury. Doing a lot of light bands to strengthen the rotater cuff. I live at 6000 ft, and 10 minutes to the foothills of Colorado, so getting in the miles in the hills is a staple of the on going training. Just keep moving forward.

I've been running a good bit 100+ miles a months. I missed my goal marathon time for the year by a couple minutes. I am doing my first ultra marathon a 50 miler in about a month. I incorporate my running with light upper body and core workouts. I left myself around 2 months after the ultra to recoup any injuries should they pop up. I have found that if you take the time to slowly work up to the shape you want to be in it is a lot easier to just maintain that shape or close to it all year.

This is a good thread to motivate me and I always enjoy other's routines, looking for tidbits to incorporate in to my own.
At 55 I've dropped 14# since April 20th and look to drop another 8-10 before leaving for Idaho on Sept. 14th.
Currently I'm running approx. 8 miles/week and will maintain that over the next 10 weeks. I'll also be incorporating some plyos and weights.
Hunting where we do has us climbing from 6,800 to approx. 9,200 each day and if I can hit the 230# mark before departure, I'm very comfortable.
Not doing much as far as "dieting" other than being more conscious of what goes in the ol pie hole and avoiding deserts and any other sugars.

Big T

When I made the decision to buy an unlimited tag this year I knew I had to get down in weight. I could only buy so many lightweight items before I had to lose a gut. Started Spring at about 260 and weighed in at 225 this morning. If I can get to 215 I'll be happy.

I love reading about everyone's success at becoming a more prepared hunter this fall. Keep it up...seasons are almost upon us!!!! It's not too late to get something started either!!!!

Hiking everyday here. Sometimes just a mile or two. Five miles last night. The game cameras force me to hike to retrieve the sd cards and the pictures motivate me to hike/train even more as well as practice with my bow daily at lunch breaks and evenings. Someday, I might be lucky enough to shoot one of the elk we get on camera. Or deer maybe?

Finished a hike on Tuesday, Wednesday morning aching hips and tight Achilles tendons, woke up early this morning (what else do you do when it's your birthday, 56!) left the wife sleeping (no cheeky comments please!) and after some stretching i went out for a run, got back, did some more stretching and it certainly helped loosen up my tightness.
Wife woke up, refused to even give me a birthday kiss as she said i was too sweaty!
Harsh i thought!
Cheers
Richard

116 mile hike through the Bob at the end of May. Now I'm lifting twice a week, focusing on squats, deadlifts and pull-type exercises for archery. Ran 10 miles yesterday w/2500 ft elevation gain/loss, will do something similar tomorrow. Need to start hiking with my sandbag and cut down on beer consumption on the weekends (I don't normally drink during the week). Riding my bike to work most days. My brother has been training pretty hard for his first backcountry rifle hunt with me on opening weekend. I figure 6 weeks (hopefully much less) of archery season will get me ready by then.:hump:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back