Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Snow, plow, snow, plow, repeat

We got done with our storm snow, and now we have just our regular, every day snow here.

So far about 24" on the level. Blew Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. Another 2" overnight, so I'll wait until we get a couple more before I clean it up again.

I really wish I bought a bigger tractor.
Me too. I bought a little Kubota 2601 last year. Perfect for my little farm until now. Wish I had a bigger bucket. Must have made 30 trips hauling snow. Oh well

belshawelk just be thankful you have a tractor and bucket. I have a 25hp Branson tractor with a small bucket. Yeah it gets old but beats the ol' shovel.
We didn't get anything out this last go around. Just below temps. I'm quite happy about not having to go out and push snow around.

We got done with our storm snow, and now we have just our regular, every day snow here.

So far about 24" on the level. Blew Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. Another 2" overnight, so I'll wait until we get a couple more before I clean it up again.

Just go faster!

What implements are you using to move the white stuff? A grading blade on the back will do just fine for 95% of my snow. Once it gets over 10-12" deep, that can be a problem, but two trips over it would get it done. I use the bucket a little bit, especially for roughing out the drifts, but the back blade is really the workhorse here. Just got to get it going fast enough that the snow flows off the blade.

I'm using a little JD 3039R. About 40 horses under the hood.

I found the best is a plow on my quad and UTV. Make it fast to push into a big pile, then use the tractor to run it move it all.

Attachments

• IMG_6472.jpeg
    IMG_6472.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8467.jpeg
    IMG_8467.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
The wind blows here and you can’t plow through the drifts. I spent years digging out with the skid steer, but you eventually run out of room to put the snow. Last year I bought a snow blower for the skid steer. Best decision ever. So much faster and easier. View attachment 311318
I could put a blower on the front of my tractor, but it would be a PITA to have to pull it everytime I want to use my bucket. How easy is it for you to swap back to bucket or other front end implement?

I'll need a blower next year, but it will probably be a pull behind unit. At least that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

I could put a blower on the front of my tractor, but it would be a PITA to have to pull it everytime I want to use my bucket. How easy is it for you to swap back to bucket or other front end implement?

I'll need a blower next year, but it will probably be a pull behind unit. At least that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment.
The nice thing about the skid steer is that I have hydraulic quick connect for the implements. I can switch back and forth without leaving the cab. I do have to get out to connect the hoses, but that’s not a big deal.

The nice thing about the skid steer is that I have hydraulic quick connect for the implements. I can switch back and forth without leaving the cab. I do have to get out to connect the hoses, but that’s not a big deal.
Your blower spins on hydraulics then. Mine would have to spin off the mid-ships PTO which is a bit more difficult to set up. The unit itself would be quick connect, but the drive system, that's the bugger. Hydro would only raise and lower and operate the chute.

Your blower spins on hydraulics then. Mine would have to spin off the mid-ships PTO which is a bit more difficult to set up. The unit itself would be quick connect, but the drive system, that's the bugger. Hydro would only raise and lower and operate the chute.
That would complicate things. A rear mount would definitely be easier to hook up. What makes a front mount better is clearing drifts. You can’t drive over them or you will get stuck, so you have to remove the drift before driving through. That means you have to work in reverse which hurts your neck and is uncomfortable. If you don’t have wind driven snow, I think the rear mount would work just fine.

That would complicate things. A rear mount would definitely be easier to hook up. What makes a front mount better is clearing drifts. You can’t drive over them or you will get stuck, so you have to remove the drift before driving through. That means you have to work in reverse which hurts your neck and is uncomfortable. If you don’t have wind driven snow, I think the rear mount would work just fine.
There is always wind. But next year's drive will be 1/4 mile long. I dont' want to do that in reverse. I dn't know what I'll have for drifts over a flat hay field. Maybe not much.

Not a big farm to worry about, but enough snow can still make it a lot of work. I do have a good snow blower and it is always better to blow snow than push it…

IMG_0781.jpegIMG_0782.jpeg

Just go faster!

What implements are you using to move the white stuff? A grading blade on the back will do just fine for 95% of my snow. Once it gets over 10-12" deep, that can be a problem, but two trips over it would get it done. I use the bucket a little bit, especially for roughing out the drifts, but the back blade is really the workhorse here. Just got to get it going fast enough that the snow flows off the blade.

I'm using a little JD 3039R. About 40 horses under the hood.

48 inch front mounted blower. It bogs down when it's over about 10", so you just have to go slower. Which sucks. Plowing is easy, but you have all that snow to deal with. Blowing you just move it while you clear.

I was stupid and let the salesguy talk me out of the 23 hp tractor I really wanted.

I have been doing some homework on what I want for a blower next year in Duluth. This thread has a lot of interesting info buried in it. May or may not be of help for you, not knowing what you've got for traction.

The wind blows here and you can’t plow through the drifts. I spent years digging out with the skid steer, but you eventually run out of room to put the snow. Last year I bought a snow blower for the skid steer. Best decision ever. So much faster and easier. View attachment 311318

This is the way. Nothing like moving literal tons of snow 3' deep with a seat heater roaring and a hot cup of coffee.

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.15.02 PM.png

Fired up the Honda rancher yesterday to plow- cable on manual lift broke after a few passes. Luckily Honda had a new cable, unluckily the temperature was dropping. Atv would not start. Hooked up charger to battery, but cold dropping faster than battery charging. So I pulled the battery, brought it inside for charging over night.

Fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back