Snakes in Wyoming antelope country. . .

RUT JUNKEY

I realize I should stay aware and be careful. . . how often do you run across rattlesnakes while hunting pronghorns in Wyoming? I don't have to worry about that much in the Indiana woods, but, I assume the risk is there in Wyoming. Just checking to see though. . . 2 more weeks!! :)

I have no idea about Wyoming, but one thing I found out last week: You pretty much have to try to be bit by a rattlesnake. I walked past 3 before I saw them, the 2 that rattled, I damn near stepped on. Encountered 7 total and zero made a move towards me.

Legal notice: results not typical, consult a physician before traveling in snake country.

Last edited:
I've never seen a rattlesnake while hunting in WY, although I know they are around. Just watch your step.

I've never seen a rattlesnake while hunting in WY, although I know they are around. Just watch your step.
That's been my experience as well. Something to be aware of, but nothing to lose any sleep over.

I said the same thing until last year. On the deer hunt in eastern Wyoming I almost stepped on two. One "hit" the bottom on my boot as I was stepping down. I never gave snakes any thought before that but I am now paranoid about snakes. I ran into the two on Oct. 15. It was 80 degrees and sunny. They were both on North slope by rock outcroppings. After that I have talked to several people who run into prairie rattlesnakes every year while lope hunting.

I believe they're concentrated in the fall I usually see no snakes or a handful of snakes. Really the only time I worry about them is when I'm belly crawling. That would scare the crap out of me.

I have seen them while antelope and cottontail rabbit hunting in the Sweetwater Rocks in central Wyoming. Sybille Canyon northeast of Laramie is full of rattlesnakes, although I only hunted mule deer there once many years ago.

Two years and never seen one, YET!!! I am careful and look for them.

On a note: Oct 1-4 sunny and 70 degrees..... Oct 5-8 (if you can believe it, eastern Wyoming) RAIN & WET SNOW. The snow should slow those snakes down a little bit.

good luck to all
the dog

Depends on where you're at in Wyo. Typically you won't find any snakes on the Western side near Pinedale. If you're in the Central, Eastern, or Southern part of the state you'll have the possibility of seeing snakes. Here's a nice pic of a SE Wyo prairie rattler. Hopefully he's the only Wyo snake you'll see!
-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

1 008.jpg

I have seen only one in 13 years. It was after a large snow storm, I did not think they would still be out. On a side note killed one in the wood pile in the front yard of my house on Friday.
Jay

You're about as likely to see the easter bunny as a rattle snake on your pronghorn hunt.

I've probably only seen a half dozen in Wyoming in 12 years, I did see one this year while scouting pronghorn.

Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana...different story there.

My boy almost got bitten by one several years ago when we were scouting on the east side of the Shirleys. He said it hit the bottom of his boot when he was stepping down the side of a rocky hill. It was the biggest prairie rattler that I have ever seen. He also encountered a couple while we were hunting, but it was early and they were cold, so no an issue.

They are really an issue in New Mexico. Their diamondbacks get real big and in some areas of the best antelope, are real thick also.

If you encounter them crawling, just spit in their eye first since you are on the same level!

Last edited:
That is a good picture for sure.

I made a belt or two when I lived in Arizona and lots of hat bands. I did not see as many in New Mexico, but I was not in the snake belt. I killed two 5 1/2 foot diamondbacks in one day while quail hunting with my father-in-law east of Yuma, Arizona. It was always interesting hunting that area and we usually killed one or two per trip. Man, there were lots of quail back then, though. It made it worth dealing with snakes.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back