Smart TV

Cornell2012

Administrator
Staff member
I was digging in to some of the viewership numbers around the OYOA seasons 1 and 2 on YouTube and noticed that a very substantial amount of viewing time is coming from smart TVs. I was a bit surprised because I didn't think they had made that much of an inroad yet.

Anyone here use one? I'm curious what you think about using them. Anything you particularly like? Do you have any specific gripes about them?

I was digging in to some of the viewership numbers around the OYOA seasons 1 and 2 on YouTube and noticed that a very substantial amount of viewing time is coming from smart TVs. I was a bit surprised because I didn't think they had made that much of an inroad yet.

Anyone here use one? I'm curious what you think about using them. Anything you particularly like? Do you have any specific gripes about them?

I watched most of season one on mine. Works good, lasts long time.

We have dish so it's nice to have options with heavy rain storms blocking signal or wet sticky snow clinging to the dish. It picks up Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix as well as you tube. We didn't spend too much, about $500 on sale at Best Buy last summer for a 48 inch. We bought a Sony Bravia with a fast refresh rate, 60hz if I recall correctly, so the hockey wouldn't be choppy when I'm watching the Wild or Sioux games.

Overall I'd say we are quite satisfied with the TV. We also have a dumb tv with Apple TV plugged into for movies and such during bad weather, it's an easy way to smarten up a tv. Both options also allow us to connect to our media server for movies. Each tv also has an HD antennae plugged into the coax for severe weather conditions.

I wouldn't shy away from another one that's for sure

We have owned one for several years now, and find it beyond useful. Biggest drawback is using the remote arrows to enter your search term. Take a long time and lots of mistakes....I know you can get a Bluetooth keyboard, but we don't have one.

I tried just using "OYOA" in YouTube search with little lunch. I would say if you can somehow tag the titles with "OYOA", it would help significantly.

I tried just using "OYOA" in YouTube search with little lunch. I would say if you can somehow tag the titles with "OYOA", it would help significantly.

That's helpful to hear of your result. Every vid has OYOA as one of the tags. I wonder if we need it in the title, or if this new channel needs a while for the SEO to build so that it comes up when you do that?

I like my smart tv. Little annoying to punch in with the remote, but not bad. I would rather watch these youtube videos on a large screen versus a computer screen.

What would be interesting is how much viewing is done at work vs home. lol

I purged cable this week and got an Amazon FireTV with a SlingTV subscription (antennas only pick up an NBC channel down here)...I wonder if that shows up as SmartTV.

I bought and watched all the Fresh Tracks seasons on my smart TV. Way better watching on 60" or whatever it is vs. my computer.

I love my Smart Tv! We watch more Youtube and Amazon video than Dish Network. I just dropped to the welcome pack on Dish and the day will soon come when I cancel our Dish programming altogether and rely on Youtube ect for all television viewing. If it wasn't for Fresh Tracks, a small handful of other programs and a contract obligation it would have already happened.

We stream Pandora off Smart TV almost as much as we use it to watch anything. It sure seems to me Smart Tv's and WiFI will replace traditional programming before too long.

Does it work with rabbit ears?
Just kiddin'.
I have been using wifi with booster. Works pretty good for how remote I am.
I can plug my pc into my blueray dvd gizmo and watch Netfix,hulu,Carbon.

Eats data with poor signal searching alot. So I keep it down. I don't wanna spend more .

I purged cable this week and got an Amazon FireTV with a SlingTV subscription (antennas only pick up an NBC channel down here)...I wonder if that shows up as SmartTV.

The data screen is a bit unclear on this point, but I think it gets lumped in the Smart TV category.

In the past month or so, Smart TVs were the third biggest traffic source for our videos behind computers (largest source) and mobile phones. There were a couple individual days where there was more traffic from the TVs than mobile phones though.

Tablets came in 4th and game consoles a distant 5th.

If you create an account on YouTube on your puter you can subscribe to oyoa and the episodes will pop up on your tv once you set it up for your YouTube account.

We moved my son's room last weekend and when we were almost finished I turned on his tv, which is a smart tv, for the first time. Took only a few minutes to realize I wanted one for myself. He's lucky that I'm cheap and bou h hr a small screen for him or u would have taken it.

Smart tv's are the way to go. Love having the ability to use my TV for Netflix, hulu, espn, etc with apps, I also stream from my Samsung smart phone or tablet to my Samsung smart tv. It's great for photos I have taken on hunts with my phone or camera, showing them directly to my tv, as well as any videos in the devices. As well as using a little thing called kodi, or showbox, I have now since removed my cable bill. Just have to make sure your Internet is fast enough. But am able to watch pay per view, sports etc and regular cable for free. You have to be moderately techy to do it but once you learn is easy and there are videos on you tube about how to do it. Not to mention many other things such as Pandora, HBO go etc on a smart TV.

My wife is the designated driver of ours..pretty darn cool. We use but a fraction of it's capabilities.

Are you sure it's from smart TV's and not casting from a Chromecast or something like that? I'm also curious how and where you see stats like this.

Last edited:
I use a Sony Streaming Blue-Ray Player, on which I have the YouTube App. I'm not sure if that registers as a "Smart TV" in your analytics. Though I have a Smart TV, I've found that using the apps via the blue-ray stream better. My internet is utter garbage (Satellite - only option).

If you are going to watch anything via the web, a large TV screen is the only way to go, whether through a smart tv, an external device like a Playstation or X-Box, or just an HDMI from your PC.

Are you sure it's from smart TV's and not casting from a Chromecast or something like that? I'm also curious how and where you see stats like this.

Chromecast gets lumped in the overall "TV" grouping in the analytics report but that can get broken down into "chromecast," "smart TV," and "other." Chromecast accounts for about 0.4% of our viewership time in the past month, while the entire "TV" category is about 18%.

You can see this data for videos that you upload to YouTube by going to creator studio -> analytics.

I have one and overall it is nice. There is a Carbontv app on there also, which is where I watch all my outdoor shows. We cut the cable a few years ago and our Smart TV has done the brunt of the work as we watch Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and CarbonTV on there. There was an issue for a few month when the Carbontv didn't work but they did a software update to fix it.

I use a Sony Streaming Blue-Ray Player, on which I have the YouTube App. I'm not sure if that registers as a "Smart TV" in your analytics. Though I have a Smart TV, I've found that using the apps via the blue-ray stream better. My internet is utter garbage (Satellite - only option).

If you are going to watch anything via the web, a large TV screen is the only way to go, whether through a smart tv, an external device like a Playstation or X-Box, or just an HDMI from your PC.

I knew some one would know what a meant. I have same Sony NR.

What's an app? Link?
I'm purposeful in my lack of new tech knowledge at times.:confused:

We have a smart TV and I have Randy's channel as a subscription on YouTube but I still find it easier to use my Roku stick because I have an app on my iPhone that allows me to use it as a remote and gives me a keyboard option on my phone for typing into the search bar. But I do occasionally use the tv app.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back