Slippery Ann elk viewing?

D4570

I know this is kind of a local thing, being in the center of Montana and all.
But I have seen tour busses from as far as the east coast. It gets crazy some evenings, with a hundred vehicles parked along the roads in the CMR game ranges at the SlippperyAnn elk preserve. I just called the elk hotline (1-406-535-6904) and there are around 250 elk there as of the first of September.
The elk in the evening come out to feed and breed, If you hit it right there are multiple 7 point bulls all bugling, and fighting Only a matter of a few yards from your truck.
So incredible, Anyone seen this before? WELL WORTH the 300-mile round trip. Now to about mid-month.
Slippery Ann

There were 1/2 dozen vehicles and no elk last night. I saw a small 6 point in the open area this morning. Still early.

It was still a great morning and the elk will be coming.
50308594722_265dbb6a29_3k.jpg

Never a BAD day to be there, 'sept in the rain...
I'm making a plan to be Hunting there next weekend.
Hope to hit it right...
The evening is the best time to see them

Anyone know how well that road is built in past Slippery Anne? Road 101 and 201 to the first little boat launch? I have hunted the last three years south of Glasgow in the breaks. I know how bad the roads can get. Willow Creek road is never to bad though. Is the road into Slippery Anne similarly built? I would like to get my sled in a little farther down river than James Kipp

Along about Aug 1st and 2nd, it is normally OK. The rest of the year it is a crapshoot.
Even when It is good it is never GOOD...

august 1 and 2! LOL! right on. thanks for the response. guess i should just launch at Kipp. dont think the road in will be any better to Crooked. and i dont wanna bounce my boat over the 1 hour 40 min trip in from the little store. probably will just camp there too. is Kipp jam packed in Sept/Oct? just got back from glasgow hunt with my wife. two 4x4s. hers was nice!

Kip can get full but it is a HUGE campground. There is a lot of no-fee camping along the river too. I'm sure you will find SOME place to camp.

Kip can get full but it is a HUGE campground. There is a lot of no-fee camping along the river too. I'm sure you will find SOME place to camp.
guess that depends on how much shit i bring. i have a 23 foot sled. but camp will get heavy real fast. im also worried about getting firewood around there. not sure how many downed trees i will find. mulling the idea of propane since im looking at archery elk and prob wont be too cold. atleast not mid november rifle deer cold

guess that depends on how much shit i bring. i have a 23 foot sled. but camp will get heavy real fast. im also worried about getting firewood around there. not sure how many downed trees i will find. mulling the idea of propane since im looking at archery elk and prob wont be too cold. atleast not mid november rifle deer cold

I was there a couple years ago, the road to Slippery Ann was fine even after a major rain event.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back