Sling Shot Grouse?

wolfpup

Anybody carry a sling shot for grouse encounters during rifle season? I am thinking this is the way to go. I always encounter them close during rifle season and have killed one with a rock but I am not very good and think a sling shot would be awesome. Last time I shot a sling shot I was a kid, but it seems like a nice lightweight way to go. Anybody do this? Any recommendation for an adult sling shot or is the $15 marksman brand as good as any?

Get a pistol that can shoot shorts if you're worried about noise.

I've tried a slingshot a few times, I suck at aiming, and unless you have steel bbs and are proficient, there is better tools. A rock out of a SS won't do much damage.

I just learned this myself in Montana slingshots are not a legal means of take. FWIW

Means of Take (CR) - Upland Game Birds may only be taken by hunting (firearms, archery or falconry).
Mountain Grouse Blue, Ruffed and Franklin’s Grouse may be taken with a shotgun not larger than a ten gauge; a long, recurve or compound bow and arrow; a crossbow; or a firearm. All other means of taking are prohibited.

Maybe no one really cares. Dunno.

Last edited:
Friend of mine tried it one fall. He hit a couple but the birds didn’t see to phased

You might be onto something with a .22 pistol. Thinking about the single action 22 revolver cabelas has for $149.99. Doesn't have to be pretty but light would be better!
.22 pistol with subsonics... Or just shoot their head off with your 30-06. Never seemed to effect my success rate hunting deer and elk.
My dad tried with the .30-06 and was a few inches lower than the head. Nothing left to eat after that blow!

You might be onto something with a .22 pistol. Thinking about the single action 22 revolver cabelas has for $149.99. Doesn't have to be pretty but light would be better!

My dad tried with the .30-06 and was a few inches lower than the head. Nothing left to eat after that blow!
A rifle that's zero'd 2" high at 100 should be dead on at 25, and an inch low at 5-10 yards. I don't try to shoot them further than that.

I've missed them, but that was when I had a bad case of the flinches. Probably shouldn't have been deer hunting with how poor I was shooting. But I was a kid and didn't know better. We also needed the meat pretty bad that season.

Anybody carry a sling shot for grouse encounters during rifle season? I am thinking this is the way to go. I always encounter them close during rifle season and have killed one with a rock but I am not very good and think a sling shot would be awesome. Last time I shot a sling shot I was a kid, but it seems like a nice lightweight way to go. Anybody do this? Any recommendation for an adult sling shot or is the $15 marksman brand as good as any?
I carried one for tree dogs and yammering with a friend who's a FWP Warden. Found out it's illegal for grouse! Hah! Who'da thunk, right?

Upland game bird regulations.

Not sure where you're from or plan to hunt though archery and firearms are only permitted means to take grouse in MT.

Won't comment about the long branch incident or rocks thrown... hah!

No rocks, sticks or boomerangs?......oh well....Subsonic .22 would be my go to.....the longer the barrel the more quiet. About as loud as an air rifle but from a .22 rifle, going about 600fps, which is like an intermediate speed from a pellet rifle like the old sheridan.....it will definitely kill them

Out local warden just shook his head at me when I told him about getting one with a rock and trekking pole a few years ago. I had never thought to lookup legal means of take for them

I carry one but haven't had the chance to use it yet. In Colorado they are legal for small game mammals, dusky grouse, and ptarmigan.

I am and will be hunting Colorado FYI

Straight from the regs: Good work @Hunterbug

Maybe I will just carry a slingshot and a .22 pistol and see which one I like. May turn into a grouse hunt and hope to see a deer and elk

FOR SMALL-GAME BIRDS (EXCEPT MIGRATORY BIRDS: SEE PAGE 6–7) 1.Rifles or handguns allowed for dusky grouse and ptarmigan. 2. Shotguns no larger than 10 gauge not firing a single slug. Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than 3 shells in magazine and chamber combined. 3. Hand-held bows and crossbows. 4. Air guns and slingshots allowed for dusky grouse and ptarmigan. 5. Hawking.

I just learned this myself in Montana slingshots are not a legal means of take. FWIW

Means of Take (CR) - Upland Game Birds may only be taken by hunting (firearms, archery or falconry).
Mountain Grouse Blue, Ruffed and Franklin’s Grouse may be taken with a shotgun not larger than a ten gauge; a long, recurve or compound bow and arrow; a crossbow; or a firearm. All other means of taking are prohibited.

Maybe no one really cares.
Slingshot is great, shot many rabbits, grouse, squirrels w em. Steel ball bearings!!! Practice n u will be surprised how accurate they rE0882DC4-BDC4-40AB-8A4B-98F292D4ABD5.jpeg

I know this is an old thread, but it seems like not many people responded that do use a sling shot. So, I'll just add myself to the list that do. I bring mine along during archery elk/deer seasons here in Colorado. That's when the grouse season is anyways. I find that aiming with a slingshot is very similar for me to shooting a bow. I use the same slingshot that I got as a kid. Just replaced the tubing a couple times. And, it fits in my hipbelt pocket with some steel BBs at a minimal weight penalty. I've tried rocks a few times, but one has to be pretty selective for the right ones to fly true. It also works well at scaring off pesky squirrels that are telling everyone where you are.

Let's see your sling shot and maybe some grip and grins with it?

Are you a stainless and plastic guy or more of the vintage checkered English walnut type?

Last edited:
I tried using a slingshot but couldn't hit squat. A hunting buddy has killed several with rocks and sticks, but again I just don't have the skill. I have killed some with arrows/judo points, but have also lost or broken a bunch of arrows. This thread will prod me into trying the slingshot again.

I mostly hunt CO so it's legal there.

We have used slingshots in Idaho during archery elk for several years. Checked the regulations, and from what we read they are legal. They work great on grouse and pine squirrels.

Back