PEAX Equipment

Ridgeback Customs Sling Review

Anschutz

I've just finished testing a sling by Ridgeback Customs. This sling is made from Water Buffalo leather and has proven to be quite nice for my needs. My primary rifle sling for hunting has been a Turner Saddlery Synthetic High Power sling because I haven't found a sling that gives me a balance of carryability, shootability, and quality. By this I mean I want a sling that generally stays put when carrying it on my shoulder, one that I can use as a hasty support, and is going to hold up well.

received_557942576120578.jpeg

This sling features multiple pieces which are replaceable should they wear out and quality hardware. The top portion of the sling is of ample width but not so wide that it binds when using it as a support. The lower portion of the sling is narrow and provides a very comfortable place to hold on when walking. There is also a thumbhole which I found to be positioned comfortably. In the current conditions in the Interior of Alaska, I have not used the thumb hole due to using mittens but in warmer weather, I found it useful.

When I received the sling back in September, I was blown away by the "unboxing" experience. The sling was packaged in a drawstring pouch, with a note from the owner, Ben Little, some business cards and extra hardware.

20230102_152047.jpg

A few days ago, I put my cross country skis on and went on a trek to see if I could find any bunnies out and about. I failed in both the skiing and finding any bunnies. I took a pretty good tumble which introduced some moisture to the sling. I expected the sling to get very stiff, very quickly but it did not. It did stiffen but was still extremely pliable and the performance of the sling did not degrade.

20221230_144848.jpg

When using the sling as a support, it was very comfortable and effective. I paired the sling with a CZ 527 Lux in .22 Hornet which I felt complimented the sling well.

The only con I had is when wearing my puffy jacket and not holding onto the sling, the sling had a tendency to slip down my shoulder causing me to adjust every 100 yards or so. When using the "handle" area, this was not an issue.

If you would like to purchase this sling or purchase any other quality leather good from Ridgeback Customs, you can find the contact info at RidgebackCustoms.com or find them on Instagram or Facebook under Ridgeback Customs.

Ridgeback Customs is veteran owned and operated. For full disclosure, I did receive a discount for providing feedback to the maker.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back