WI Grouse Camp 2023

TheGreek

I’m catching an early flight out of DIA tomorrow morning to Minneapolis and then making the drive to N WI to meet a bunch of friends for our annual WI Grouse trip. One of the guys is picking me up in Minneapolis and we are gonna hunt our way up to camp. This is the fourth year we are doing this trip and it is quickly become my favorite hunting trip of the year. Good guns, good dogs, good scotch and good food. This is not a backcountry hunt in the Zirkels but it sure is a lot of fun.

Just about everyone will be using vintage SxS shotguns of various makes and countries of origin. I carry a 20 gauge AH Fox Sterlingworth Philadelphia gun from circa 1920-1921. It was a gift from my favorite Uncle Jimbo some years back and while he described it as a “ratter,” it is my most prized firearm possession. There will be a few nice English doubles in camp as well as a spectacular Parker repro in 28 gauge that belongs to the camp organizer. There should also be a gorgeous Italian 28 gauge that I keep trying to buy from the owner with a lowball offer because he does not shoot it well!

As for dogs, it will be a combination of field bred English cockers, Brittanys and vizla’s. None of my own yet, but I’m hoping to change that in the next year or two.

The travel from NW CO to DIA to MSP and then to N WI is going to be a lot more involved this year as opposed to the simple drive north from Chicago as in years past, but I’m sure it’ll be worth it once I’m there.

I’ll try to post some pictures and updates as the trip and hunts play out. Part of me feels foolish leaving NW CO in October just as 1st rifle is starting, duck season is open and the weather is turning fall, but there isn’t any ruffed grouse here and the King is calling!

1am drive to DIA for a 6:20am flight starts now. One of the few upsides to living in Chicago was being 15 min from O’Hare but I don’t miss the rest of what living there meant. The trip to Northern WI from NW CO will be more effort this year as opposed to making the trip from Chicago as in years past but I hope that’ll make the trip/hunt/company all that more rewarding.

Good luck. Lots of wind and rain here the last 36 hours. It should have taken all the leaves down. Your timing is perfect. My Dad and brother were up there last weekend driving around western Vilas county. They saw a fair number of birds just in the road, but they were all very skittish. Ticks were bad.

I’ll be driving up next weekend for a few days. Good luck!

Good luck man! Woodcock should be thick and a lot of the leaves here in Wisco came down up north this week. Glad you missed this nasty front that just moved through, should be primo.
A couple of the guys who drove from PA have been hunting in the UP the past few days and caught most of that front on the chin. Too bad for them! Looks like we might get lucky on the weather front for the next week.

For sure, next week looks great- you should have a blast!

The past few days is almost the worst kind of rain- just light enough to where you’d feel bad not hunting in it, so you’d go and get soaked pretty much immediately.

My personal 16 gauge is a an old model 12. I’ve told myself and my friends who shoot high end English guns that I shoot vintage American shotguns because I’m an American but truth is it’s just what I can afford!

There's usually an 870 Express in the truck for those soggy, wet days. A 16 gauge model 12 is a wonderful firearm. Lovely lines, good weight & swings perfectly.

Never make fun of what someone shoots. Make fun of their shooting, but never the gun. Unless you're really good friends, then make fun of everything.

There's usually an 870 Express in the truck for those soggy, wet days. A 16 gauge model 12 is a wonderful firearm. Lovely lines, good weight & swings perfectly.

Never make fun of what someone shoots. Make fun of their shooting, but never the gun. Unless you're really good friends, then make fun of everything.
Good advice right there.

The old 870 express is the girl you never let your buddies see you with

I was in the woods last weekend, LAX area, ticks were insane, WTF! Anyhoo, good luck up there, stay safe!

Final tally for the day for my hunting partner and I were:
grouse flushed: 12
Shot at: 4
Killed: 3

Woodcock flushed: 10
Shot at: 4
Killed: 0

I missed a grouse, and three woodcock including a gimme. The downside of chasing dusky grouse all September is being too slow for ruffed grouse come October!

The numbers for the entire party (7 guys):
Grouse flushes: 25
7 shots
4 kills

Woodcock flushed 14
7 shots
0 kills

The birds were spooky. I’ve never seen woodcock that spooky and flush that wild. They usually hold so tight. Either way, it was a good first day and we have a week ahead of us.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back