Sling Shot Grouse?

Could us a Crossman 2240 22 cal CO2 pistol, pump up P1377BR 22 cal pistol or the 177 cal RWS Diana 5G Magnum P5 pistol. Would need head shots though.

Many years ago, I saw an article in a hunting magazine of a hunter using and recommending a slingshot to harvest grouse during hunting season so he did not spook the game. I love slingshots. Many slingshots out there like Daisy, Marksman, Barnett, Saunders (https://sausa.com/product-category/wrist-rocket-sling-shots/page/3/), a lot of Chinese junk and USA customs. I would get a folding brace or a conventional Y shaped wood or metal frame configuration for portability. Get spare bands. I think Walmart sells some Daisy and the Barnett slingshots which are your cheapest option. Any non-toy slingshot will kill a grouse within 25 yard with proper ammo. In my opinion, the premium slingshot models are the discontinued Trumark (get on ebay $$$$), Saunders, top of line Barnett and the custom metal and wood frame models ( example https://simple-shot.com/slingshots/). Those slingshots with all those sights, lasers, springs and mechanical functions are not needed, more prone to breakage, usually bad reviews and I do not think they will shoot any better than a plain slingshot. The serious hobbyists don't use them. Flat bands usually shoot faster than tubes but tubes last longer. Trumark had 3 different power level tube bands. You have more flexibility in power with flat bands (double or triple them up). To shoot arrows and kill a deer or small bear, I think Chief AJs slingshots pull at about 40 lbs. I had the Saunders Falcon and Folding Falcon and they are well made but I got rid of them because hard to get proficient on so many slingshots. I now have a Trumark FS1 (stores ammo in the handle) with the heavy duty black bands and beautiful custom made Bunny Buster wood flat band Hammermill Hunter (out of business). There are small vendors out there making beautiful wood and metal slingshots. I shoot 1/2" ball bearings for target practice and 44 blackpowder lead balls for hunting as they have similar trajectory. I recommend the heavy ammo for shock value. Tough game like squirrels require head shots. Slingshots kill by blunt force trauma. Velocity from powerful slingshots are usually between 200 and 250 fps. I tilt the sling shot and aim over the left fork but it is best to graduate to instinctive shooting. Several ways to shoot it like butterfly, gangster style and others. You have to practice. Look up Chief AJ to get an idea of a master instictive shooter. Use a cardboard box filled with heavy old clothes like blue jeans to hang your target on. It does a good job capturing the ammo. Be sure to keep the rubber bands out of the sun as it degrades them quickly and they become brittle and break. For cheap portability as you can go really small and light but have good power, you cannot beat them as a hunting weapon. Easy to practice around neighbors as very silent.

Here is website for slingshots. Some people sell custom frames on it.

The guy below does a lot of funny and interesting thing with slingshots and other things using rubber bands.

Here is a picture of my Hammermill Hunter

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_204425474_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20220228_204425474_HDR (1).jpg
    989.9 KB · Views: 3
Here's an article I wrote for MeatEater on topic. I once tried to kill grouse with a homemade bola. All I got for it was a knot on the back of my head. But with practice could be better than my old Pocket Rocket.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back