Slim Pickens antelope

shrapnel

Antelope were few and far between. As a matter of fact, there was no between. We hunted an area I have hunted in years past and never seen this few. When we did see some antelope they were a long way off and nothing visible in the surrounding property.

We had to move on them fast as the last 2 days we hadn't had anything to chase. Even though we were not a threat to them, they kept moving at a rate that you needed a motorcycle to keep up. We didn't have a motorcycle, so I sent my son that can run better than I can and he followed them into a draw where he finally got a shot at a doe.

When we had loaded up his doe, we headed back to the center of the property and found the rest of the antelope moving over a ridge that allowed me a chance to sneak up and crawl up from the blind side. They were still moving but at a slow walk. I picked the only buck in the bunch and shot him with a 257 Roberts at about 200 yards.

He took off running like I had missed him, but didn't run with the herd, so I knew I hadn't missed. Running in a circle like he ran out of gas, he finally tipped over. I would have liked to gotten it with one of my old rifles as I had the past two years, but it didn't look good for the spot and stalk it takes to get an antelope with one of those rifles...

thumbnail_IMG_1380.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1396.jpg

Our WY antelope hunting was very similar this year. They were really spooky and hard to find (relative to past years). I expect the tag numbers to drop significantly next year.

When I read the Title i was thinking......

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well Done Sir! Glad the kids got to get in on the action.

Back