Sleeping pad suggestions?

they are done by an independent lab, kind of like wear rating on a tire. manufacturers ultimately pay 3rd party lab to get these done, in exact same way.
Is that a new development? As of a few years ago I am certain that was not the case.

Is that a new development? As of a few years ago I am certain that was not the case.
yea, not sure what few years ago is 3 or 10 :) but now R-value, just like ISO or EN ratings on sleeping bags, its all via 3rd independent party. don't quote me on this as there may be more than 1 lab that does these tests, but they all suppose to follow exact same standards to give our R value.
just did little google search. REI has decent article on it. https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/just-how-warm-is-that-sleeping-pad
looks like 2020 is when it became a standard, which lines up with what i remember.
i bought my Xthrerm before the new standard, which is funny cause after new standard came out that same xTherm actually saw a bump up in Rvalue numbers. (i work in the industry but for a competing brand, and i still went with ThermaRest they're just that good and for me it ticked all the right boxes)
there's lots of good options from top 3 or 4 brands, so as long as one pics right Rvalue (under new standard) and is happy with Price vs Weight vs R-Value ration, then good for that consumer.

I’m a big fan of the thermarest neoair xlite. Never been cold on it, little cheaper than the xtherm, never have wished I would’ve bought the xtherm instead. Only thing I don’t like is the yellow color just because it looks dirty easy, probably because it is dirty.

My only recommendation is get a wide pad. That was life changing after using a standard 20” wide pad for a lot of years, the wide makes a big difference for sleeping

Exped is a great company. CS treated me very well when I pin-holed my mattress out of warranty. No questions asked, fixed it, sent it back no charge. Their goal is to keep their products out of the landfill. Mine is 6 years old going strong with self inflicted patch wounds. Just not the lightest out there, but comfy and quiet. Going to give the new xtherm version a shot this year since I do some cold weather camping.

I bought a used Exped Downmat 7 last summer, and used it one night during our firearms season. I was not prepared for how warm it was!

I have a couple different pads and I use a Gossamer Gear ThinLight foam pad under them. I haven't done any extreme cold testing with any of them. The pad helps with the pokies and gives me another layer between me and the ground. Weighs next to nothing and rolls up tight. I usually use either tyvek or a ground cloth too. Helps with any moisture and keeps my set up cleaner.

Edit: I just noticed the new price of the Gossamer Gear ThinLight foam pad. It has seen a lot of "inflation" from the time of my purchase.

Last edited:
Big agnes q-core deluxe for me. Getting too old too sleep on rocks. I will pack the extra weight for a good night's sleep.

I’ve only got a few overnights on my Big Agnes Rapide, but so far so good, and it is incredibly comfortable for a side sleeper. It got down to 17 degrees on my last overnight a few weeks ago, and I was toasty in my 20 degree bag. At 60 comfort is key.

The new Thermarest Xlite NXT Max is awesome. Higher R Value than the old model, thicker, and much quieter. I have half a dozen nights on it so far and it leaves my old Xlite in the dust. Slept one night on it at 29 degrees in boxers and a WM Versalite with a super thin silk liner and was toasty.

Whatever you do stay away from BA. I'm on like my 4th under warranty, they keep shipping me new ones but I keep waking up on the ground.
4th is now leaking
Just to update, I filed a recent warranty claim for pad #7. I sent the follow along with my claim request:
So I don't know if it's a question or a concern. But WTH is up with these pads? I only hear praise from published accounts (i,e. outside, backpacker, etc) which is what led me to request this in the first place. But I've literally had 2 show up from the factory (from a warranty claim) that leaked, I'm on like #6 or more in the last 7 years. All the while my kids are rocking two thermarests that my parents bought for my sister and I in the 80s, still without leaks. Am I cursed or does BA operate under the assumption that people just won't follow up on warranty claims or does the BA business model account for many warranty returns in the original purchase? I just don't understand.

Their response:
Sorry to hear about the trouble with our pads. However, we are always happy to replace pads that are not able to be fixed.

Just to update, I filed a recent warranty claim for pad #7. I sent the follow along with my claim request:
So I don't know if it's a question or a concern. But WTH is up with these pads? I only hear praise from published accounts (i,e. outside, backpacker, etc) which is what led me to request this in the first place. But I've literally had 2 show up from the factory (from a warranty claim) that leaked, I'm on like #6 or more in the last 7 years. All the while my kids are rocking two thermarests that my parents bought for my sister and I in the 80s, still without leaks. Am I cursed or does BA operate under the assumption that people just won't follow up on warranty claims or does the BA business model account for many warranty returns in the original purchase? I just don't understand.

Their response:
Sorry to hear about the trouble with our pads. However, we are always happy to replace pads that are not able to be fixed.

Anybody have recommendations for a lightweight sleeping pad?
I thought I'd risk trying out a 4" air mattress that you pump up with either your foot or palm of hand. I've used it 3 times an really like it. I like it that I can inflate it in about 90 seconds, if not over inflated, it's very comfy, doesn't leak the air out, when you pull the plug, it deflates completely immediately. Most of all, it rolls up to a very small size and is lightweight. I got if on Amazon, and if you search for them, just read the reviews and buy. I paid about 45 dollars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back