Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sleeping pad suggestions?

After like 3 or 4 years, the plastic valve on my $90 insulated klymit static v broke off in my hand last week.
It was my first sleeping pad and I’d have to say that for the price it functioned really well.
By the end it was definitely leaking, but still held enough air to get through the night.
I just splurged on a Nemo tensor ultralight for $200 at rei.
I was torn between that, an insulated big Agnes qcore deluxe and the xthem.
Based on price, pack ability, r-value and weight I decided to go with the Nemo.
The main selling point was it being 10oz lighter and substantially smaller in its stuff sac than the qcore.
I walked in intending on buying the xtherm, but wtf is up with that crinkly sound that thing makes ?!??
It’s also pretty small.
If this Nemo doesn’t work any better than the old klymit it’s back to the cheap seats from here on out 🤷‍♂️

After like 3 or 4 years, the plastic valve on my $90 insulated klymit static v broke off in my hand last week.
It was my first sleeping pad and I’d have to say that for the price it functioned really well.
By the end it was definitely leaking, but still held enough air to get through the night.
I just splurged on a Nemo tensor ultralight for $200 at rei.
I was torn between that, an insulated big Agnes qcore deluxe and the xthem.
Based on price, pack ability, r-value and weight I decided to go with the Nemo.
The main selling point was it being 10oz lighter and substantially smaller in its stuff sac than the qcore.
I walked in intending on buying the xtherm, but wtf is up with that crinkly sound that thing makes ?!??
It’s also pretty small.
If this Nemo doesn’t work any better than the old klymit it’s back to the cheap seats from here on out 🤷‍♂️
Does Klymit have a lifetime warranty? Send yours back, keep the replacement as a backup or if you have company:sneaky:

Last edited:
I love both my Big Agnes sleeping pads. Super comfortable. Well worth the additional weight to me.

@DouglasR the r-rating is way lower?, it is .5 thicker and 3 oz lighter than an xtherm max. Looks like it’s servicable 😂, I still don’t think I would give up my Xtherm! Best of the best imo. Good luck, let us know how you like it after this fall of hunting. My Xtherm is a little crunchy sounding I guess, never really cared, after it’s blow up I don’t recall it being crinkly…
Matt

@DouglasR the r-rating is way lower?, it is .5 thicker and 3 oz lighter than an xtherm max. Looks like it’s servicable 😂, I still don’t think I would give up my Xtherm! Best of the best imo. Good luck, let us know how you like it after this fall of hunting. My Xtherm is a little crunchy sounding I guess, never really cared, after it’s blow up I don’t recall it being crinkly…
Matt
Xtherms are the most played pad on the forum.
The gold and white full tilts of the sleeping pad world. 😉

First night on the Nemo tensor was pretty comfy.
Felt warmer than just the big Agnes 3rd degree foam pad by itself.

I’ve never slept on an Xtherm, but @wllm’s review makes me feel good about recommending Big Agnes. If you can sleep on an uncomfortable surface or have to have the insulation, then by all means go with the Xtherm, BUT I personally cannot sleep on a thin sleeping pad. My hips, back, and neck will keep me up all night and remind me about it all day. Both of my Big Agnes pads have been incredibly comfortable. Bordering on just as good as sleeping at home in my own bed comfortable. They’re heavier than most pads, but that’s okay with me.

Obviously it depends on the person, but if you have to have a thick pad to sleep, Big Agnes has them.

I also can’t say that the Xtherm is uncomfortable. I’m just saying that if Wllm says the Big Agnes is more comfortable, then that would be my choice simply because I rank comfort at the number one position on my personal list of sleeping pad attributes. That could easily be of very little consideration for others, and I’m not saying the Xtherm is uncomfortable. I’ve never slept on one.

Last edited:
In my experience R-values are useful enough as a comparison metric within a single manufacturer's product range. They're quite a bit less valuable when comparing across makes and models. If brand X advertises 7.0 and brand Y advertises 6.2, that difference just doesn't mean a lot to me unless there's an independent test on BPL or something.

My buddy who does a lot of alpine winter camping has an exped pad with an R rating of 8 and then he puts that on a zpad I think.
I think I was looking at these and I see how the bigger down filled pads could make a difference, but they were way bulkier in their stuff sacks and I want something I can use for winter and summer so I went with that tensor and I’ve already got a big a foam pad so I’ll just use them together.
I was able to get away with using my klymit static v without the foam pad and I couldn’t tell much of a difference.
I also have a pretty big bag so that might help too 😏
Nemo tensor definitely seems more puncturable than the klymit.
Completely different material and for less than half the cost 🤷‍♂️

I think I was looking at these and I see how the bigger down filled pads could make a difference, but they were way bulkier in their stuff sacks and I want something I can use for winter and summer so I went with that tensor and I’ve already got a big a foam pad so I’ll just use them together.
I was able to get away with using my klymit static v without the foam pad and I couldn’t tell much of a difference.
I also have a pretty big bag so that might help too 😏
Nemo tensor definitely seems more puncturable than the klymit.
Completely different material and for less than half the cost 🤷‍♂️
Oh yeah the exped is giant and heavy.

In my experience R-values are useful enough as a comparison metric within a single manufacturer's product range. They're quite a bit less valuable when comparing across makes and models. If brand X advertises 7.0 and brand Y advertises 6.2, that difference just doesn't mean a lot to me unless there's an independent test on BPL or something.
they are done by an independent lab, kind of like wear rating on a tire. manufacturers ultimately pay 3rd party lab to get these done, in exact same way.
so yes R-Value are a real thing and one should look at them closely.

7.0 and 6.2 R values as you listed, both would be considered 4 season very very warm pads, so between those two it may not make a felt difference. but if we're talking R value of 6 vs 3 --huge huge difference.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back