Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sleeping pad suggestions?

exped and sea to summit for me. Also have a nemo that's not to bad. I didn't like the thermarest xtherm or xlite. Different strokes for different folks.

I like Nemo pads. I've had 4 different models. My favorite had a pillow built in. Currently have the Tensoner and love it, very comfortable and warm. Just spent 12 nights on one, with my down bag draped over me like a quilt, never got cold, and it was below freezing most nights. You couldn't give me another BA pad, I will never buy another one. I don't care if they are the cats ass. I had too many failures, too many "warranty" issues, etc. I don't care if they replaced them, their CS is great, but sleeping on the ground for a week because your pad is a POS and can't be fixed in the field soured me for life. I love their tents though.

Spent many nights on the Klymitt insulated static v and no complaints. It's a lot less expensive than the others as well

I have an outdoorsman lab sleeping pad that I tried for pronghorn season this year. Got it on amazon for $90-$100. It's the red one. R value of 3.something. super thick, relatively light. Slept very comfortably on it. Will be using it for elk season.

Follow back up on how this holds up for you, please. Several reviewers said that it was great the first 2-3 times but then it sprung a leak. I’m wanting to find a pad for a good price that will honestly only be used a dozen times or less, so I’d prefer to find a good value if even less than perfect

Spent many nights on the Klymitt insulated static v and no complaints. It's a lot less expensive than the others as well
Do you have the new style or the old style? I’m not familiar with the differences, but they seem to both still be available. This one may be my answer

Follow back up on how this holds up for you, please. Several reviewers said that it was great the first 2-3 times but then it sprung a leak. I’m wanting to find a pad for a good price that will honestly only be used a dozen times or less, so I’d prefer to find a good value if even less than perfect
Truly I’ve used it just for naps since I got it in the spring of this year along with the 5 day pronghorn hunt. I haven’t had any issues. And I’m a fluffy boy… lol. But I will report after the elk hunt but I expect to not have any issues.

Folks seem to love the Xtherm, but I'll throw the Xlite in there for consideration too. 4.2R, 1lb for the regular length, wide. Little loud by all accounts, but I wouldn't know. My wife's snoring conditioned me to wear ear plugs when sleeping.

Nemo Tensor Alpine in long-wide.
Pros: Plenty of room for me at over 6' tall and 200 lbs, great R-value, very comfortable
Cons: Not the lightest - but not too heavy, loud when moving around, pricey

If the priority is light, I've had good luck so far with the Thermarest Neoair Uberlite.

Have slept about 30 degree weather (in 12 degree WM bag) and had no issues with feeling cold due to less R value. If in colder then the Xtherm has been super solid for me. I wouldn't have bought the Uberlite but got it used for a good price, but glad I did for anything but late season backpacking/hunting.

It really is much lighter than the xtherm and packs tiny in comparison too.

I have an Xterm and a BA Q-core deluxe. The xterm is warmer/lighter/packs smaller, but the BA is a bit more comfortable as it's wider and thicker. The BA comes on trips where I'm not as worried about weight or cold.

I've also used my buddies exped 8R it's huge and heavy but super comfy.

For a back pack hunting pad the Xterm is hard to beat, though not as awesome for side sleeping, it's narrower than other options, and like any inflatable you could have a leak.

As far as leaks go you actually want a big hole or tear those are easy to fix in the field (all things considered). The tiny pin prick holes are the one's that really ruin your trip as they are almost impossible to find.

How much $ you want to spend?

For the balance of cost/performance/value I like the Klymit Insulated Static V.

I’m sure there are better ones and I’m sure there are cheaper ones, but I’m confident there aren’t better cheaper ones.
Agree with this. I have a klymit recon insulated and it works for me. I have in the past used an exped (which model I'm not sure) and it was almost like sleeping on a bed in my opinion. The exped ones are considerably more than klymit and they have extra features that allow for the price difference. The exped had a built in pump that you use to inflate the pad. If I had the money to allow for getting a really nice pad I would get the exped.

I haven't used it in cold conditions, but I found a Klymit Static V Short on sale and bought it on a lark. Since it is 50" long, It fits my torso to my knees, approx. If I use a travel pillow above the end, it works for me. It leaves my lower legs/feet extended slightly beyond the pad, so I use any extra clothes as pad/insulation. 50"x23", 14oz and 1.3R-value. I have several other full size Klymit brand pads too.

Another vote for X-therm. The 25” wide model is way more comfortable to me than the 20” because my arms aren’t constantly falling off the sides. The x-therm has thicker material on the bottom and is more puncture resistant than some of the lighter weight pads.

I have the Klymit insulated static v. It has a high R value~4.**. I have been putting a cabelas foam pad underneath to protect the pad and boost the R value.

I haven't used it in cold conditions, but I found a Klymit Static V Short on sale and bought it on a lark. Since it is 50" long, It fits my torso to my knees, approx. If I use a travel pillow above the end, it works for me. It leaves my lower legs/feet extended slightly beyond the pad, so I use any extra clothes as pad/insulation. 50"x23", 14oz and 1.3R-value. I have several other full size Klymit brand pads too.
Are you a side sleeper? If so, how does the narrow width work? Reason I ask is I'm considering getting one of these because when I travel for turkey hunting, I sleep in the back seat floor of my truck and the 50 inches length would be perfect. I'm a little hesitant of the narrow width though cuz I switch from side to side frequently throughout the night. Prolly over thinking it.

Are you a side sleeper? If so, how does the narrow width work? Reason I ask is I'm considering getting one of these because when I travel for turkey hunting, I sleep in the back seat floor of my truck and the 50 inches length would be perfect. I'm a little hesitant of the narrow width though cuz I switch from side to side frequently throughout the night. Prolly over thinking it.
I am a very restless sleeper, so not a great reference, if you are a peaceful sleeper take these comments with a grain of salt. When I sleep on a pad, I do tend to shift my hips and shoulders in sequence instead of simply rolling over. I don't think a pad two inches wider would make a significant difference for me. Although I do have wide shoulders, I'm not big-bodied, so it works for me.

another vote for XTherm
I've had mine for 4 years now, no issues
that crinkly noise people mention is a non issue, as soon as you put your sleeping bag on it, it muffles any noise there was.

I'm 6' tall and use Long sleeping bags so i got Xtherm Long (25" wide / longer)
only thing i would change if i was buying again i may take the few oz penalty and go with MAX for more foot width. don't remember if it was available when i bought mine or if i was counting OZ's

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back