PEAX Equipment

Sleeping Bags

It's not waterproof but you can always zip up your rain jacket and slide it up over the bottom of your bag to get some condensation protection.

Good tip here....I am so tall I just can't keep my feet from touching the sidewalls even in my extra long tent. This year I am going to slip a cut down garbage bad over the very end of my bag's feet.

Yeah, I'm not tall (5'10") and it still happens to me all the time. Wish I could claim that tip as my own original thought, but I learned it from someone else.

If Bambi in AK can make down work then I sure am not going to lose any sleep over the Down vs. Synthetic debate.

Do you have any brand name Dry-bag recommendations for backpackers?

I honestly just use a black garbage bag. The other thing we've used is those clear plastic bag luggage protectors you can get at the counter from any Alaska Airlines/Horizon desk. These are real big and are great for sliding your whole pack in to protect it from rain at camp. The plastic is real tough. Usually your tent is small so being able to leave the pack outside protected is priceless. But a garbage sack that you seal up like a bread sack works great. Most packs aren't waterproof especially after 2-3 days of rain so keeping your clothes and bag dry is a must and the garbage bags do a great job without the weight. Redneck I know but it works well.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will ever win the down/synthetic debate. :D Use what you're comfortable using.

Like Lawnboy, I use trash bags as well for stashing gear/food once in camp. I use a game bag inside a trash bag, and then hang in a tree. I like the trash compactor bags, or the heavy duty contractor bags, they hold up a lot better than a standard Hefty. The compactor bags fit like a glove in your pack for meat, but aren't big enough to put your pack in... The tricky part about trash bags is sealing the open end so they don't leak. I seem to always end up with water in my trash bags if its wet.

Sea to Summit makes some great light weight dry bags. I use 3 typically, one for cloths, one for my sleeping bag/pillow, and one for electronic gadgets.

Another critical piece of gear is a pack cover, it keeps your bag dry while hiking or in camp. It doubles as a meat sack if you forget your trash bags :rolleyes:, and it works to keep my butt dry when glassing or taking a break.

I have the Pinnacle, which is about 4-5oz heavier than the Helium. I love it, with a Sea to Summit reactor liner; I'm plenty warm to zero or less. Speaking of liners, I started using one about 4 years ago, won't go without one again. Keeps you bag clean(er), I can toss it in the washer when I get home.

I have a couple Mountain Hardwar Synthetic bags, they're just not as comfortable, and the one rated to 0 I'm cold at 20... They're also about 30% bulkier, but weight isn't a lot different. Synthetics have come a long ways in recent years.

Rocky I found these pictures that kind of show what I'm talking about. The pack above the tent was in one of those big Alaska Airlines bags overnight.

IMG_4720.JPG

You can see some of the bags that I pulled out of my bag that were in garbage sacks. Sleeping bag was in the black one and some of my clothes were in the yellow one.
IMG_4719.JPG

drybag

If Bambi in AK can make down work then I sure am not going to lose any sleep over the Down vs. Synthetic debate.

I use the Sea to Summit silnylon drybags for sleeping gear, but I'm sure others would suffice.

I
I have the Pinnacle, which is about 4-5oz heavier than the Helium. I love it, with a Sea to Summit reactor liner; I'm plenty warm to zero or less. Speaking of liners, I started using one about 4 years ago, won't go without one again. Keeps you bag clean(er), I can toss it in the washer when I get home.

I also started using the Sea to Summit reactor liner this fall to get more out of my 30 degree down North Face bag. I made it comfortably through nights down to 15 degrees and think I could make colder ones, also using an Exped downmat. Being able to wash that liner between backpack trips definitely helps keep the funk to a minimum in your sleeping bag. I also found I felt less "clammy" inside my sleeping bag. I thought it was well worth it since my sleeping bag was a hand-me-down. It was try that for 50 bucks or shell out a few hundred for a warmer bag and it definitely paid off.

I have owned and used quite a few bags in BC and Alberta, since the spring of 1964, this includes stints of 4-6 weeks in mountain tents using the same bag. I have had bags by Western Mountaineering, Featherer Friends, the original Marmot Mountain Works, Fairydown from NZ-Hillary's choice, Black's of Greenock, Caravan from Sweden, Pioneer from Vancouver, BC, Integral Designs, Paul Petzoldt Wilderness Gear, Woods of Canada, Valandre and a couple el cheapo synthetics plus BCFS issue synthetics.

I prefer a GOOD down bag to any synthetic, a GOOD synthetic, the best are Integral Design by far, to any ordinary down bag such as most domestic production in North America and Asian production bags and will not carry a down bag when going solo hunting.

My usual rig is my custom Integral Designs XPDII-850 fill down bag with Endurance shell in camp, this is good to -20 or lower and my ID North Twin-Andromeda Overbag combo used in varying ways in my daypack. This combo is made for the Canadian Forces and British Special Forces Arctic warfare troops, among others and is the most useful hunting-wilderness working bag(s) I have ever used. It is Primaloft Sport and Pertex and works in the worst condions. I team it with one of my ID bivies and a silnylon tarp for an emergency when solo and have had a tarp break, dump about 2 gals. of water on it and it remained dry.

I use my Valandre Shocking Blue for cool, dry hunts such as in the Canadian Rockies and this is the finest down bag I have everf used, I sold and gave away my WM and FF down bags after a friend in the US sent me this to try and I subsequently bought it. However, I feel safer when alone with the ID synthetics and this is just my personal choice based on 48 years of usually very active wilderness activities. YMMV.

Teton Sports makes a bag called the Elk Hunter that I absolutely love. It's got a -35 degree rating and is 40" wide. I sleep better in it than I do in my bed at home. Of course you can't pack a bag like that with you into the back country, but if you're looking for a bag to sleep in at base camp you can't go wrong with that one.

well said,me and my wife use one on our deer and elk hunting trips we go on each year,neaver have gotten cold,and at times the temp was down around 9 degrees.;)

I've got a Marmot Sawtooth Membrain and a Marmot Lithium here. The Sawtooth served me well with a base layer down to the 10 degree range, then the Lithium for the really cold times. I've become a big fan of down and Marmot after using the bags and the Zeus ultralight puff jacket. I've never encountered anything that sends your heat back at you like good down.

I do use a good tent, and the Sea to Summit e-vent storage/compression bags.

I recently purchased an inexpensive Kelty sleeping bag. Thought it would work as a good back up bag and a spare for any friends, etc... Anyhow, if price is a consideration - I am actually looking at using this one for this year as it simply looks, comfy - though to each his or her own.

I believe it was around $149 or so... Kelty lists it as $189

It is 550 down. Named, Cosmic Down.

455.jpg

Size Long:

•Fits to: 6’6” / 198 cm
•Length: 84” / 213 cm
•Shoulder girth: 64” / 163 cm
•Fill weight: 36 oz. / 1.01 kg
•Total weight: 3 lb. 14 oz. / 1.74 kg
•Stuffed diameter: 9" / 23 cm
•Stuffed length: 17" / 43 cm

Temp Rating: 0° / -18°C
Shape: Mummy

EN Comfort Limit: 17oF / -8oC
EN Lower Limit: 4oF / -16oC
EN Extreme Limit: -33oF / -36oC

I will second the Mont Bell Super Spiral Hugger. Best bag I have ever owned. Light, warm, and comfortable. It stretches, so it is not so closterphobic feeling.

I have used down sleeping most of my adult life. Not to say that synthetic bags don't have their place. I bought my wife an LL Bean 0 degree rectangular down bag and she loves it. It keeps her warm on our summer camping trips. She likes to sleep with it open like a comforter. I have a Western Mountaineering down bag that I have owned for 20 plus years.

My limited experience with down has been good. I used a 15 degree marmot this past 3rd season in CO and managed well for 4 of 5 nights. The last night was around zero and I did get cold. I had a good tent, aired the bag when I got a chance and used a Sea to Summit eVent compression bag for storage otherwise. Really like the eVent. I did step up to a zero degree bag and will use a silk liner for this next season.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back