Sleeping Bag

elk_hunter

Alright, it's time to change bags -- the one I have from Cabela's is nice and warm, but too damn big and bulky. What do you guys recommend for warm, light, small bags, more slanted toward pack trips?

Go down to your local REI Store
REI - Reno
Address:
2225 Harvard Way
Reno, NV 89502
(775) 828-9090

And start looking at the bags. They will help you find the one you like, one that fits you, and is the right rating. Their return policy is the best in the business, and their customer service is the best. For something like an expensive sleeping bag, buy the membership if you don't already have one, your rebate will more than cover the cost of the membership.

My latest bag has zippers on both sides, down to about my waist. I like it better for cold weather than the bags with a full length zipper, plus, I don't seem to sleep on one of my arms with my shoulder bent backwards (never figured out how I always managed that.).

Go down to your local REI Store

And start looking at the bags. They will help you find the one you like, one that fits you, and is the right rating. Their return policy is the best in the business, and their customer service is the best. For something like an expensive sleeping bag, buy the membership if you don't already have one, your rebate will more than cover the cost of the membership.

My latest bag has zippers on both sides, down to about my waist. I like it better for cold weather than the bags with a full length zipper, plus, I don't seem to sleep on one of my arms with my shoulder bent backwards (never figured out how I always managed that.).

+1

Even if they don't have exactly what you want or are a bit too expensive, they'll teach you all you need to know to be able to find the right bag elsewhere.

No expert on bags, but I have two that I switch between depending upon weather.

I use the Northface Snowshoe in cold,wet conditions. I bought mine a couple years ago and not with this gayish (Schmaltsy) color scheme. Worked well in Kodiak, but it never got that cold.
KIGN.jpg

I also have a Marmot down bag, but not sure of the model,but is wasn't one of there spendy ones. Sawtooth maybe.

It is nice and light and I use it most of the time when I am living out of a backpack. It is a 15 degree bag and with a pad it is probably pretty close.

2078_2753.jpg

I agree with others, hit REI and find one you like. I am guessing this purchase will be for next season, so if you find one you like there you can probably find it cheaper on-line.

Thanks for the suggestions; I have talked to a handful of people at REI and a few other stores, but they were salesmen. Most all of them didn't have real-life experience with the bags they were selling let alone under camping/hunting conditions...they knew their lines and what to say to sell bags. A bit frustrating. That's why I was curious what you guys use out in the field.

Talk to Marc at Wiggy's Alaska. 907-336-1330 Good dude to talk with...not only sells the bags, but uses them too.

Look at the ultra light... http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

I have the North Face Cat's Meow. Also a tried and true bag. About 2.5 lbs. 20* bag

Sleeping bags

Go to alaskaoutdoordirectory.com
and look for Wiggy's store in Anchorage. You will get the right info and the right bag.
Also look in the yellow pages gor "Wiggy's" in Anchorage try to talk to Marc Taylor the owner. Good luck.

The original Wiggys store is a few miles from my house. I have never been overly impressed with their sleeping bags, mainly because I look for LIGHT and compressible. I think the lamilite insulation they use is good stuff, but there are lighter products out there if that's what you are looking for. If that's not as important, check them out.

I've got a TNF Cat's Meow that I mainly use for warmer weather. It's about 10 years old and isn't performing like a new bag these days. I've also got a TNF Tundra, which is a synthetic bag rated at -20 and weighing 4 pounds. I use it for most backpack hunts. It's overkill sometimes, but I can unzip.

I'd take a look at Integral Designs, too. They make very good, lightweight bags, and will even build them to your specifications. They were recommended to me by Bob at Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage. I've been threatening to "build" the ultimate backpacking bag with them, but haven't pulled the trigger yet (a bit expensive).

I use REI brand sub kilo for 3 season use. I think it's a 25 degree bag. When cold out, I add a liner and double my sleep pad. Surprisingly, the liner adds 10 degrees or so.

I havn't ever packed in extreme cold.

Thanks guys! The main theme is light, compressible and warm -- warm enough that I won't freeze my ass off when camped on the Continental Divide during archery season -- down to 0 or so should be fine. :D

I agree on the REI, go down and check out bags, and crawl in a few. Some light bags are light because they're only big enough for a 12 year old... The REI brand bags were much to small for me in the chest area, but were very nice bags for the price.

I bought a Marmott Pinical a couple years ago. Its a sweet bag, very light and compresses down to about the size of a loaf of bread. IIRC its rated to about 15 degrees and I don't doubt it, I usually sweat my azz off in it. I'd take a look at their other models as well. The one Miller posted is a great bag for the money, but I'm not sure its any better than the REI bags for about the same price. REI has probably the best warranty in the business for thier brand name stuff, so keep that in mind.

Zero is pretty dang cold for that early in the year. Of all the years hunting in MT during rifle season in November, I can only think of a few times it got to zero or below. I've rarely been camping in weather much below freezing in September. The reason I say this is because a zero rated bag will nearly double the 'bulk' of your bag as well as weight. Take a liner if you think its going to get that cold, other wise you'll save yourself for all the other trips where it won't be anywhere near that temp. For late season Camping, I'd get something much heavier anyway...

I"m a BIG fan of my Big Agnes Lost Ranger. I'm a very restless sleeper, so having the pad attached to the bad is a huge plus for me. That and I'm fat, so the more full cut of the Classic series fits me much better. I like it much better than the Cat's Meow I have as well. Just much more comfortable, a wider temp range, and more compressible, IME.

Check the line from WesternMountaineering. I have a 1999 version of their Sequoia model and believe it's the best down bag possible. I am 6'1" and 210 lbs. Plenty of room and the zippers can be adjusted all ways for ventilation. Get a compression sack and chinch it around gently and you can get a manageable size to pack. It's not cheap, actually made in USA! If you want a synthetic bag, read the reviews in the latest mags and find out who uses the best reviewed insulation whatever width and length you need. Climb inside those things and match it with the minimal pad(s) you can tolerate.
Always have a separate set of bedclothes and socks for proper hygeine and to keep from having to wash that bag too often.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back