Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sleeping bag recommendations?

CONative44

Hey folks,

I am new to backpack hunting and I am looking for some tips on sleeping bags .

If I were to invest in one high quality sleeping bag, what is a good all-weather bag that I should consider?

I've just found that a quilt has been far easier for me being a side sleeper than any of the mummy style sleeping bags out there.

When I've used mummy bags that taper-in a lot, I don't sleep well due to the flopping. I like roomy bags, but that usually means more bulk/weight.

For backpacking, I've used a Marmot Neversummer and a Western Mountaineering Versatile.

I use a mummy when backpacking but a 'alaskan sleeping bag company' full size bag when I don't have to carry it up mountains. Get one from a company that features camping items and get one warmer than you think you need.
I liked down but the new fabric's are good and you can compress them more than down so you have a smaller package to carry.

You might take a look at Western Mountaineering bag reviews.

Western Mountaineering for a backpacking bag. But it will be pricey.

Feathered Friends and Kuiu also make some nice bags, but also pricey. Down mummy bags will be the lightest weight, warmest and most packable. Don't skimp on the pad either, its just as important.

If you don't have to carry it very far, get yourself a big ole Cabelas Trapper rectagular bag or something like it, they will be more comfortable.

Big Agnes is suited around added body space w/ minimal weight.
Then if simple... Kelty surprisingly makes reasonable bags and a fantastic price.

Big Agnes is suited around added body space w/ minimal weight.
Then if simple... Kelty surprisingly makes reasonable bags and a fantastic price.

My girlfriend just picked up a semi-rectangular BA bag. I like the looks of it as far as foot room goes.

I have 3 bags I pack with & 3 for camp or extras now.
Marmot- endless summer ,-15 deg. down.
Kelty -never summer synthetic ,5 deg +
Kit bag down ,-30 & been down to -40 in it and was warm.
I will sleep at home under down comforter or a motel if I need a bed to sleep while hunting. And if I really need a bed I will stop hunting and go home to bed,I over did it big time!

When I've used mummy bags that taper-in a lot, I don't sleep well due to the flopping. I like roomy bags, but that usually means more bulk/weight.

I have a Kelty 0 deg down bag that is like a semi-mummy or wide mummy or something like that which is great for flopping around and it has a removable hood which is a must have for me.

I bought a Kelty Lightyear 20 degree down bag the year after I graduated from college. I've used it on trips in Alaska, Wyoming and at home here in PA. I bought it for the features and price point. I'm sure there are better bags out there, but for a decent down bag I don't think you'll find one at a better price. I'm planning on picking up a 0 degree down one this year for my WY mule deer hunt next year.

I've been using a Montbell for a number of years, they have some stretch built in which makes for a very roomy mummy bag. Others I really like are some of the higher end marmot and also the western mountaineering.

I went cheap a number of years ago on a Kelty for some summer camping, I think its rated to 20 degrees but honestly it stinks in anything below about 50. I'd have been better off just throwing the money in a pile and setting it on fire to stay warm than using that bag.

I went cheap a number of years ago on a Kelty for some summer camping, I think its rated to 20 degrees but honestly it stinks in anything below about 50. I'd have been better off just throwing the money in a pile and setting it on fire to stay warm than using that bag.

TheTone, I've never heard anyone speak so poorly of a Kelty bag before. Just out of curiosity which bag were you using and were you using a sleeping pad? I've used my 20 degree bag in temps below 20 degrees at 6000 feet in Alaska and around freezing temps at 4500 feet in Wyoming this year with nothing more than base layers on and a good Thermarest sleeping pad. Worked great...

Last edited:
I just dug it out; its a lighstalker 3D, says its rated to +5 actually. Honestly it just isn't a good bag; lost loft very fast, had draw strings break, and definitely isn't something I would want to sleep in at 5 degrees. I've always used it with a pad when sleeping outside with it. I'll freely admit to being a cold sleeper, but this thing is pretty much relegated to taking up closet space.

Tone,
been using some type of Kelty product or another for many years.Still have a 1968 packframe.
There have been many folks who have tried new fills,materials etc and they are not so good or total junk.
I went back to just my old canvas & cotton bag for many years for warm weather after a bad night in I forget which NEW fill it had. It might have been same Kelty bag or a Sierra Designs. Cold spots,shifting fill and the zipper broke.
I think it was a got too big for their britches deal and quality suffered for a few years.Hell they still might make some junk,I don't know.
But I love the Kelty tent & bag I have.
Use that one for the garage spare,furniture pad......lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back