Sleep Apnea Question

WyoDoug

I am about to be teathered to a CPAP for first time while sleeping. Going to get a travel one for hunting. But question for others who are doing it: (1) How does it hinder anything you do hunting? and (2) What kind do you use backpacking?

Good thing for my hunting buddies, people on CPAP normally do not snore any longer and I snore bad. Just like Randy said he did in one of his videos. :)

My dad has one and it changed his life. He can't sleep without it now without feeling really rough but he was always exhausted before. And yes, no snoring anymore.

We don't backpack hunt (yet! but probably never lol). So it was easy to have a small, 1,000 watt sportsman's generator at the end of an extension cord running the CPAP at night along with charging the phones. We probably went through about 3 - 4 gallons of gas in our last trip which was 6 nights I think? They use distilled water and I think a gallon lasts him more than long enough for a long, week plus hunt. Although, because of the water/humidity they can aggravate your throat if they don't have a warmer to keep the air/water warm during the night in cold weather.

One gas can, small generator, distilled water, and the small CPAP didn't cause us any problems at all, even having to move camp a few times.

I run mine off a deep cycle battery while at camp. Mine is configured to run on DC power and requires and inverter when you plug it into an AC outlet. As such it doesn't requires anything fancy to run off a battery.
Backpacking might be a tough.

I generally base camp it and go out on horses or hike during day and get back to camp at night. Just looking at ways to handle it if I get stuck having to camp on the side of a mountain at night. Happened to me before and could happen again. I always carry small tent with me in case along with emergency sleeping gear.

I've been on CPAP for years. Even though I have severe sleep apnea I'm not a fan of the machine, but my wife and doctor really lecture me if I slack off. I use a full size battery when hunting/camping. When I went to Africa I told the PH to pick up a battery for me, I'd pay for it and when the hunt was over he'd have a spare. I believe there is a smaller version CPAP with a built in battery, I've never tried one so I have no idea how long a charge will hold.

Consider something like this below...
0930F4A5-EC62-489C-8DD6-DF156E56BA03.jpeg

A mandibular advancement appliance may be about 70% as effective as a cpap machine. Way easier to backpack with as long as you know it’s pros/cons. Cpap is still the gold standard though.

View attachment 128116

A mandibular advancement appliance may be about 70% as effective as a cpap machine. Way easier to backpack with as long as you know it’s pros/cons. Cpap is still the gold standard though.
I have one of those two and it works to an extent, but I am noticeably more rested using the machine.
I should add that I am only 42 and am 5'7" 160lbs and fit. Despite this I had sever sleep apnea. Looking back on it I never knew what it was like to get a full nights sleep. The CPAP was a life changer for me.

How many times have I walked out in to the woods with my sleeping bag...walking until I cant hear my buddy saw logs?
Quite often and pretty far :)
Inconvenient for him but a real gamechanger.

I run my CPAP with a smallish 12v battery like this. It only lasts for a couple of nights and then needs recharged. Your CPAP and battery will probably add about 10 lbs. to your pack. I have never used a humidifier with mine and haven't missed it or felt like I needed it. I always bring a battery charger and inverter in the truck so I can recharge when AC is not available. Needing CPAP puts a crimp in your style and having your machine quit in the middle of the night certainly wakes you up! Good luck.

I use one at home, or while in a hotel, but I just go without while camping. I definitely sleep better with it, but my apnea isn't severe. I never really sleep great camping anyways, at least the first night.
If I was backpacking I would just do without, but I have looked into getting a battery pack for car camping. Sleeping on your side seems to help.

View attachment 128116

Been using one for 2 months and couldn't be happier. There's also an implant you can get now, which if works, may be a good option as well. I couldn't stand using a CPAP, the mouthpiece is a blessing

My buddy uses one and has a large power bank that he runs his off of when in truck camp, he can get two nights off a charge. If we're in truck camp he just charges it through an inverter when we head out each day. If backpacking he leaves it behind.

Kind of interesting. Sounds like this will not slow me down on it's own. This would be nice to show more films of guys hunting with health issues out in the open. It might keep people in the hunting and fishing scene longer. My style of hunting is base camping so most of the time I will have a/c generator available and if I camp on the side of the hill because I don't want to lose a bull, then I do without or try out one of those mouth pieces that keep you from snoring. I was kinda hoping they made some that were USB based because my charging units I use for my GPS and phone have a USB charging port. I carry at least two USB charging units in my pack which is good for about 3 days each for me.

I have been on a CPAP for 16 years. During this time I have camped out many nights while hunting. The things that I have learned are if you use an inverter, bring an extra and service your generator before the hunt. I once had to do an oil change at 2 AM on my generator to get it to run after my inverter crapped out. This was accomplished wearing only my boots, BVDs and headlamp. On the 4th elk hunt in Colorado I have gotten ice buildup in the tube and mask. When the ice breaks loose and goes up your nose, it may wake you up! A CPAP is a pain to use, but it is worth the inconvenience for a restful night of sleep.

I have had my cpap for 12 years, I went on it at only 26. I was a college football player and have a huge neck, which along with huge tonsils gave me severe sleep apnea. It was a literal life change, I could count the number of nights on 1 hand I have went without my cpap. I use my old phillips that is 12 volt for hunting since I can run it directly off a deep cycle or plugged into a car outlet. It will run all week on a fully charged deep cycle. For backpacking, I take the humidifier off and have a lithium ion battery pack that I can get 3 nights out of it in warm weather. I haven't weighed that setup, I would say it's less than 5 pounds. The worst part of the cpap is when it's super cold, like 10 degrees or less, the cold air blowing into my sinuses is super uncomfortable.

Just what I was going to suggest, the Lithium batteries. I just bought one for my ice fishing sonar, and they claim to last much longer and are extremely lightweight compared to a standard lead battery. 2.2 pounds vs 5.4 pounds. The actual run time in this test video isn't that much longer, which I also found with my ice fishing set up. I expected it to last much longer than my lead unit usually does and it just didn't. So, I would suggest you guys that want to pack a sleep unit, check out the lithium batteries and try them at home for longevity tests.

Thank you for posting on this subject! I only recently got diagnosed with sleep apnea last September and have been wondering about how to handle future hunting adventures. This is very helpful information. Thank you everyone for sharing your respective approaches!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back