Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sky 5900?

tom338

Thinking about getting this pack, if you own one can you tell me your pro's and con's. And NO I don't want to hear about any other brand right now!!

Thinking about getting this pack, if you own one can you tell me your pro's and con's. And NO I don't want to hear about any other brand right now!!
Have you picked out a frame yet?

Have one. Love it. Hard to think of any cons. For my uses it’s as close to perfect as I can find. I guess if I could change one thing I’d make it more water bladder friendly like my old Kifaru.

I like mine pretty well. If I could change anything I would integrate a pouch for the water bladder and I would add a spotting scope pocket. I don't particularly care for the add-on spotting scope pocket that SG currently provides. Everything is a tradeoff. I would like more pockets for organization, but they lead to more weight which defeats the purpose of a lightweight pack.

I am looking at the Xcurve frame. I saw no designated spot for water bladder. I wish their web site had more pics of how and what are in their packs, or a short video, or am I missing it?

There is an attachment you have to buy that goes inside. I have the Sky Talus 6900 on XCurve frame.

I am looking at the Xcurve frame. I saw no designated spot for water bladder. I wish their web site had more pics of how and what are in their packs, or a short video, or am I missing it?
Lots of videos on their YouTube channel about the different features of their products.

Thanks geetar, I'll have to check into that. Duhhh, forgot about youtubing it. Brain fart!!

I'd give them a call!

This is my third year on the 5900. I love it. I went with the x-curve frame after trying on all of their frame offerings with weight (got to do it at a show). It is light, which matches my style of backpack hunting. It can handle as much weight as I am willing to pack on it. Belt is comfortable and it has the pulls so it stays in place. The only con for me is all of the straps and buckles, but that is sort of what you are getting into with any of the better packs with load shelves and a pack that can separate from the frame. It honestly took me several times of practicing taking it on and off the frame, making sure I had all of the straps going to the right places and buckles, before I felt really comfortable with it. It is a great pack. Plenty of room for a multi-day trip, but packs down to almost nothing for good day hunts as well.

If you get a chance, try on several high end packs with weight to see what fits you best. Stone Glacier wasn't at the top of my list of what I thought I wanted, but once I tried on several packs with weight, it was definitely what was best for me. No regrets.

I have the sky 5900 and love it. I also picked up an approach 1800 bag with the intent of using that for day trips, the 5900 compresses so tight I have yet to even use the approach bag.

I run mine without the lid the majority of the time, with a really light load I did find the lid would flop around a little. I use there water bladder attachment and it works well for me with a 3 liter bladder.

@geetar, do you use the SG rifle sling and if so do the side zippered pockets on the Sky Talus get in the way? I'm trying to decide between the 5900 and 6900 myself
I haven’t bought the rifle sling yet. So far I’ve just tucked the butt of the rifle in the side pocket at the bottom and strapped it to the side. I will most likely buy the sling soon. As for the pockets SG founder Kurt Racicot did a video on the 6900 and explained to use left side pocket for spotter and right side for soft goods that and flexible and compressible such as hat, gloves, ect. That way your rifle if it rubs against it will not be noisy by bumping into another hard object and the soft goods will compress down if you cinch the rifle down to the side as well.

I'd give them a call!
Yes give those guys a call with any questions or if you follow them on other social media platforms shoot them a message. I’ve never had it be more than a few hours before they get back to me on Instagram messenger. Their customer service is top notch.

I have the sky 5900 and love it. I also picked up an approach 1800 bag with the intent of using that for day trips, the 5900 compresses so tight I have yet to even use the approach bag.

I run mine without the lid the majority of the time, with a really light load I did find the lid would flop around a little. I use there water bladder attachment and it works well for me with a 3 liter bladder.
I did the exact same thing with the approach bag haha, I just bought my with the solo bag for mother's day she had the approach and said it was too small. I might have problem.......

Back