Sks/m-14

ttinman23

Any experts out there on which make and model for an SKS is the best. 7.62 x 39....Or thoughts on the M-14.....Kind of green in this long rifle arena. Want to have one just in case things go awry in this country. Thx in advance.

I personally have no use for an sks. Junk in my mind. Can put some lead down range but accuracy is well....its not.

m14! Now we are talking! Wait....Are you talking about an m14 or a mini-14?

HUngarian and Rumanian SKS rifles are the best of the bunch. 7.62X39 cartridge is great for what is was designed for (close combat in prolonged situations) but even the Russians knew it wasn't much for long range accuracy. That's why their sniper rifles are either in 7.62X54 or 5.56X45R.

The M-14 rifle from Springfield is one of the finest combat weapons ever built. Accurate and reliable.

You can't even mention the two in the same breath. If you want an almost indestructible truck gun buy an sks. If you want one of the very finest combat weapons ever made but a M14/M1A.

Not fan of any SKS, but having the 'enemies' weapon on hand does make some kinda sort of sense, in a Dooms Day scenerio.

Have you ever fired a M-14? It was my 1st standard issue weapon in the Marines. A few rounds at a target is quite different than a prolonged blast 'em session. Even with it's weight it's no pussycat, especially at rapid fire.

Considered an AR ?

I'm set in the AR-15 category. Was just reading how for close quarter combat the SKS may be the better option for various reasons. Can afford more ammo + surplus, more knock down power, a vest type ammo holder that carries tons of stripper clips. I basically want it all......Hate to sound nutty about it but I "rather have it and not need it........" kind of attitude right now. Just hate what's going on. So far I hear the Hungarian model is better. Still waiting for more feedback.

yes I was talking about the M-14 as well. I'm think the M14 takes a 7.62 x 65 cartridge but not sure. Not sure how readily ammo is for that??/

If you are looking at the SKS, find the older early 50's Russian models with machined partsand chrome lined barrels and not the pinned in barrel. Even some of the older Chinese ones can be found with the same type of machining. The later pinned in barrel models are less desirable. I was skeptical when I first saw a buddies SKS in the early 90's. Then I shot it and what a hoot! a $80 rifle that never jambed and was semi auto and had enough knock down for thick woods deer hunting. I had my FFL at the time and purchased a 10 gun case or both Rusky and Chinese mil-serp guns and it was a crap shoot on the condition but some came through with lamenated stocks! All machined parts on these older guns and case price of $68.00 each. How I wish I could go back in time and buy 100 more! Ammo was $89.00 per 1000 rounds, and man you could have some fun plinking with them. The good old days.... a couple years later and they were going for over $250 all day long.

Last edited:
Thanks shmalts, I heard about them machined parts too. Thanks for the input. I'm starting to think this rifle is under estimated by the average joe....Ammo still is much cheaper than 5.56....I'm gonna try and find a Russian older model. What are the model names of the Russian rifles if you know. thx

Do you have one foe sale? Would be nice......My dad's cousin has a 285 acre dairy farm up there in Wisconsin somewhere. Thinking about a rut hunt maybe one of these years.

Thanks shmalts, I heard about them machined parts too. Thanks for the input. I'm starting to think this rifle is under estimated by the average joe....Ammo still is much cheaper than 5.56....I'm gonna try and find a Russian older model. What are the model names of the Russian rifles if you know. thx

They were just SKS. A lot of them went through an arsenal refurb and got re-blued and some just perfect as can be and did not need refurb. Not sure I would buy one instead of saving up for something better. But if you can get one for a good price they are definitly not "junk"

Oh, and no, none I have are for sale. I kept the best Russian one I had, and took an early Chinese one and for kicks put a high gloss finish on the stock. My wife used it for a couple years deer hunting and killed a deer every year with it.

I too remember the days of cheap SKS rifles. A friend of mine bought one and after a bath for the cosmoline, we put thousands of rounds of cheap enameled ammo through that thing. I don't think I would pay the prices they are going for now. mtmuley

I can't think of the name of it, but there is a real nice AK that is made in the USA, I believe. I looked at the website and the rifles looked awesome. Not cheap, though.

I am not sure what you pay for an SKS these days, but about 10 years ago I picked up a Yugo M70 AB2 (AK-47 underfolder clone), and it is nice shooting for what it was intended to be. You can find them nor for about $600 new. I had a really nice Polish underfolder in AFG that had a set trigger, if I could find another one of those I would be tempted to buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back