Yeti GOBOX Collection

Skinning a Bear

Brian in Montana

I've skinned enough animals that I think I have a pretty good idea, but I've never skinned a bear. Any tips or pointers?

I cut along the back of the heel down the leg to the ass hole. i then cut down the middle of the forearms from the base of the paw to the centre of the chest. Next I make a cut from the base of the head all the way down the bear. Skin it out and pop the head and paws off and your done. Once I get home I skin out the head but I leave the paws for the taxi

I cut from the back of the heel down the back of the leg to the anus. On the front I cut from the center of the pad to the elbow bottom of the elbow. From there I cut to the armpit. Then I cut straight to the center of the chest. Hold your arm out 90 degrees from your body. Look down your arm. That's the cut. Cut from a few inches back from the chin and run straight down to the anus. Be sure this cut is centered! If you cut 1 inch off your taxidermist has to cut 2 inches off the other side to make it look right rugged out. It's pretty easy to end up with a skinny legged off center rug if you're not careful.

Watching some videos on YouTube makes it look pretty easy. I think the main thing I got from all the videos was cutting the front's 1"-2" above the mid line. Really hope to try it out this bear season ha ha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back