Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

"Skid Plates"?

VikingsGuy

What do folks think about "skid plates" for upland hunting dogs that chase pheasants and ruffed grouse. I have tried a few times over the years but the seemed to be more hassle than they were worth - getting hung up on stuff, adding to heat to labs that run hot to start with, etc. But every time I see the junk my dogs work through I reconsider not using. What is the collective wisdom on HuntTalk?

I plan on using the Mendota skit plate when my dog is ready to hunt. I have a few friends who use them and they seem like a healthy balance of protection while not being too warm.

We use one now. Didn’t start out that way, but after having her get a couple of nasty lacerations on her chest, we use it every time we take her upland hunting. There is just so much old junk around here- scrap metal, old pieces of farm implements, t posts, old fences and random barbed wire, etc. Its cheap insurance, even if it is kind of a hassle early season.

Momarsh versa dog vest claims to be the last vest your dog will need. Adjusts from XS to XXL throughout the dog's life. That's more geared towards waterfowl but has blaze orange panels.

It is personal preference. Hunting upland, especially forest grouse in the thick stuff will tear the dogs up a little bit. I do not use vests simply because I worry about heat issues. Keeping the dogs cool is a big deal safety-wise, especially early season. If you're hunting along a creek where the dog can be getting his belly and body wet then that part is not an issue.

I will say that they look pretty hardcore on the dogs though!

Nick

Cove Mountain Kennels

Depends where you hunt I guess, none of my hunting crew uses them in western mn.

I don’t have a dog, but hunt with folks that do. I had a co-worker that lost a dog grouse hunting (WI) when it caught a broken branch on a deadfall square in the chest. His dogs wear them now.

A little pricey but I’m happy with the purchase. Even protects against snake bites.

What do folks think about "skid plates" for upland hunting dogs that chase pheasants and ruffed grouse. I have tried a few times over the years but the seemed to be more hassle than they were worth - getting hung up on stuff, adding to heat to labs that run hot to start with, etc. But every time I see the junk my dogs work through I reconsider not using. What is the collective wisdom on HuntTalk?
I dont use them on my golden, but I do put orange on him. The vest helps somewhat with the same issues. I carry a comb where the burdock and cockle are known to be bad. Combing them out early is loads easier than waiting.

I run the skid plate at the link below. Usually not until deer hunting opens for extra visibility, or when hunting in snow/ice.
It's light enough I think I could run it during September grouse with no issues, but I haven't had the need.

I use a Sylmar dog vest as well on my Lab. Not sure how much it helps, but if it helps protect him at all, it's worth it to me. This vest has not been a hassle for me at all. No problems getting hung up on stuff. Easy on and off. I've used one for about 7 years.

Back