PEAX Equipment

Size queens click (graphic images)

I have read that elk go through a process similar to osteoporosis where their body robs nutrients from their bones to grow antlers in the spring. This process absolutely amazes me every year.

Anyone care to discuss the process?

I have read the same about moose. What I remember emphasised calcium coming from the sternum and ribs, but I would imagine all bones would be affected to some extent. It is a stunning amount of material, for sure. That it is all extracted from grass and browse is really hard for me to wrap my head around (probably a bad pun there).

That the material comes from so much stored on the body overwinter makes me think that antlers are probably a pretty good indicator of the previous winter's range conditions.

Anyone know whta sorts of plants have high amounts of calcium?

Other nutrients must be invovled also but I don't know anything about them.

This might be interesting if you like REALLY big elk
http://www.evolutionary-ecology.com/abstracts/v01/1026.html

Also, go to scholar.google.com and search on "antler growth in XYZ" . Lots of stuff out there to read.

I have read the same about moose. What I remember emphasised calcium coming from the sternum and ribs, but I would imagine all bones would be affected to some extent. It is a stunning amount of material, for sure. That it is all extracted from grass and browse is really hard for me to wrap my head around (probably a bad pun there).

That the material comes from so much stored on the body overwinter makes me think that antlers are probably a pretty good indicator of the previous winter's range conditions.

Also, go to scholar.google.com and search on "antler growth in XYZ" . Lots of stuff out there to read.
In general here they have been eating yellow bunch grass, wild daisy's, skunk cabbage and wild garlic.
Thanks for the info

Grass and other plants have a surprising amount of minerals in them. The exact quantities & availability are heavily dependent on the soil mineralogy and PH. I'm of the opinion that elk are more tied to soil types than we realize. That is why they are in 1 basin over another all things being equal.

All my animal nutrition & feed knowledge is from my dairy classes in college but elks are ruminant like cows so they are very similar.

Tried to get some guesses but you guys are as scared as I am to guess the weirdo.
As he stands right now? 370-380 maybe? I gave him typical big bull mass of 30" per beam, 50" beams, and 45" spread. That gives him a *very* rough base of 205". Figure out what you thing the tines are in length, and you'll have you rough estimate. 15" fronts, 17" seconds, 18" thirds, 20" Royals, 8" extras, 10" fifths = 88" x 2 = 176" of tines, add that to your beams and spread, and you're at 380". And I could be way off either way. But I'd be shooting him! Adjust my estimates as you see fit and critique the crap out of what I came up with so I can be better at it later.

As he stands right now? 370-380 maybe? I gave him typical big bull mass of 30" per beam, 50" beams, and 45" spread. That gives him a *very* rough base of 205". Figure out what you thing the tines are in length, and you'll have you rough estimate. 15" fronts, 17" seconds, 18" thirds, 20" Royals, 8" extras, 10" fifths = 88" x 2 = 176" of tines, add that to your beams and spread, and you're at 380". And I could be way off either way. But I'd be shooting him! Adjust my estimates as you see fit and critique the crap out of what I came up with so I can be better at it later.
Really close to where I put him

Left & Right
G1 - 15” & 16”
G2 - 17” & 15”
G3 - 18” & 17”
G4 - 20” & 20”
G5 - 12” & 14”
E1 - 8” & 7”
Mb - 50” each
Mass - 29” each
Width - 40”
377” Gross

Left & Right
G1 - 15” & 16”
G2 - 17” & 15”
G3 - 18” & 17”
G4 - 20” & 20”
G5 - 12” & 14”
E1 - 8” & 7”
Mb - 50” each
Mass - 29” each
Width - 40”
377” Gross
I have the videos so i think I might be cheating but I pick up a lot of sheds with 30"+ of mass he's bigger than that. I give him 35ish
H1 is 10R 11L because of how the g1/g2 stack together. H2 both 8.5"
H3 both 7.5
H4 7R 8.5 L
R 33
L 35.5
But also velvet factors so...
Consequently I think g1 g2 is probably shorter so same ball park.

I’m sure he’ll be a fine bull for someone with a landowner tag or that spent thousands for a super tag
I have the ability to buy me a landowner tag, I mean pay trespassing fee with a free tag ;). But I vowed to never. Its sad to even think about really.
Going to grab a few super tags this week though. Wish me luck

Left & Right
G1 - 15” & 16”
G2 - 17” & 15”
G3 - 18” & 17”
G4 - 20” & 20”
G5 - 12” & 14”
E1 - 8” & 7”
Mb - 50” each
Mass - 29” each
Width - 40”
377” Gross
i put some numbers down and am pretty close with these. But there is no way is his main beams are 50" long, and won't be. Mass I'm thinking higher, maybe 33" per side, which is gigantic Under 40" inside spread. I'd guess him as a 370+ non-typical, maybe 380s.

@elkmagnet do you have his sheds? I’m curious on beam length of last years horn.

Last edited:
i put some numbers down and am pretty close with these. But there is no way is his main beams are 50" long, and won't be. Mass I'm thinking higher, maybe 33" per side, which is gigantic Under 40" inside spread. I'd guess him as a 370+ non-typical, maybe 380s.
On big bulls 33" is common here. Most of my big sheds are at the bottom of this year's pile but this is one I think may have a similar H1 20220621_143724.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back