Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Size queens click (graphic images)

i put some numbers down and am pretty close with these. But there is no way is his main beams are 50" long, and won't be. Mass I'm thinking higher, maybe 33" per side, which is gigantic Under 40" inside spread. I'd guess him as a 370+ non-typical, maybe 380s.
Yeah. Short, that was my initial thought on the main beams but mass hides length so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and went 50” for a nice round number. 370 plus would be a solid guess. Our big bulls are usually longer with less mass. 33” inches of mass is really massive for them but 55” beams aren’t that uncommon here.

I’d think 33” of mass per side is probably about as common as a 60” main beam, about anywhere.
We have great mass in H1, 2 and 3 but usually short tine length especially g3. Here is a H1 of a antler we keep in the kitchen. Its easier to hit 35" if you start with 10-12. I still think you guys are in the ballpark
20220621_150256.jpg

Jay Scott has a good page on field judging...

Elk Field Judging Tips:

• Try to always be conservative when judging a bull.
  • Tine length is the single most important aspect to a bulls score. Long Points are everything!
  • Look for any weaknesses such as short points, beams or weak mass. They can reduce a bulls score in a hurry.
  • Inline, Non-Typical and/or extra points can dramatically increase the gross score.
  • Count the number of points on each side because if something looks odd, it usually is.
  • For mature elk: Main beams usually around 50, Inside spread usually 37, Mass usually 27.
  • For mature elk: Main beams are rarely 60 inches or more, inside spread measurements are rarely over 45 inches, and mass is rarely over 32 inches per side.
  • Look for good spacing between the points. If the points on the main beam look close together then the beam is probably shorter than you think.
  • If a beam or point looks straight, then it will be shorter than you think. Lots of belly or curve in the points and the main beam means greater length.
  • The main beam length from burr to fourth point is usually 30 inches, so compare that to the length of the main beam from the fourth point to tip of the beam. If it looks like it is about half as long (15 inches), then the total length is 45 inches. If it looks equally as long, then it is 60 inches.

What is impressive to me is how uniform he is other than missing the nubbins on the right side. My Wyoming bull in '16 had 55 and 56" main beams and this bull looks shorter, but that could be because of the mass. Pretty bull for sure.

This idaho bull grossed 360 and netted 350 I think there comparable. I think the subject of the thread bull is bigger because both sides have junk. But I think the bull I just posted has a bigger spread, but also less mass. I think 370 is a good guess. IMG_0049.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

This idaho bull grossed 360 and netted 350 I think there comparable. I think the subject of the thread bull is bigger because both sides have junk. But I think the bull I just posted has a bigger spread, but also less mass. I think 370 is a good guess. View attachment 227111View attachment 227112
Man you're a goofy looking SOB. Was that a strategic move to be rocking a full firstlite get up?

Actually shot the bull before he worked at first like a couple years ago. Wrote a great article in western hunter magazine about the hunt. Article is titled sandwiched. Got a few years of sheds from the bull also. Never actually saw the bull until the day he shot it.
Awesome bull man I'm just jerkin your chain. He's certainly got some character.

Need to hear from the horn master @antlerradar on this one.

My guess is he's about done he'll probably put a few more inches on the top end and some mass. I'd be surprised if he goes much more. Beauty bull thanks for sharing.
I am going with @Oak and @Greenhorn. Inch or two at most on the mainbeams and the fifths.

We have great mass in H1, 2 and 3 but usually short tine length especially g3. Here is a H1 of a antler we keep in the kitchen. Its easier to hit 35" if you start with 10-12. I still think you guys are in the ballpark
View attachment 227108
The pictures of the massive elk sheds are awesome, but that plastic tape is sacrilege.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back