Caribou Gear Tarp

SidexSide or Over/Under

I'll be the contrarian. Get a Beretta 686 or 687 in the gauge you prefer.

If SxS's offered any advantage to actually hitting a target, they'd be a factor in various shotgun shooting games. There could be a heavier version to tame recoil, yada, yada.

SxS's look cool. O/U's point more naturally. They are well represented in all of the various shooting contests.
I'd have to agree with this. Those Berettas are sweet. Older red labels and citoris shouldn't be over looked either. I do love a the way a sxs looks too.

Last edited:
Something to consider if thinking Beretta. Their shotgun support is covered by Stoeger USA and just about everyone at the club has had horrible experience with them fixing issues with Beretta shotguns. And there have been many issues!

In your budget you should be able to find a very nice used side by side 20 that will be a dream to carry. Look at Lion Country Supplies used guns. Sometimes they have some really nice options.

The two triggers has not been an issue for me. And yes, sometimes I opt for the 2nd trigger on a longer shot.

Good luck in your search.

I'd have to agree either this. Those Berettas are sweet. Older red labels and citoris shouldn't be over looked either. I do love a the way a sxs looks too.
The 686s are great if you like carrying a dead pig, albeit one with advanced rigor mortice. :)

One of my hunting partners had one until he gave it up for side bys and never looked back. Now he carries a 6# Boucher (French), which is to die for. He has a few others as well for back up duty. And he suddenly looks good - even when he misses - and his dogs love him much more.

A side-by is more than just another gun. It's a lifestyle. A life-altering experience. You will hear the breeze, that you never noticed before, singing softly breeze, . The grass will be greener, water sweeter, and the sun more friendly. Everything is better with a side-by double. :)

The 686s are great if you like carrying a dead pig, albeit one with advanced rigor mortice. :)

One of my hunting partners had one until he gave it up for side bys and never looked back. Now he carries a 6# Boucher (French), which is to die for. He has a few others as well for back up duty. And he suddenly looks good - even when he misses - and his dogs love him much more.

A side-by is more than just another gun. It's a lifestyle. A life-altering experience. You will hear the breeze, that you never noticed before, singing softly breeze, . The grass will be greener, water sweeter, and the sun more friendly. Everything is better with a side-by double. :)
sxv-wtf.gif

Just to help muddy the waters for you. Have a gun built that will fit you. Life is too short to carry a double gun that doesn't point well for you no matter how purdy it might be.

@BrentD - great questions!

I’m more interested in the small gauges because of how I hunt and the advancements in components. I’ve shot some sort of a 12 gauge Benelli auto for the past two decades - bought my first SBE at age 15. I plan on reloading TSS for some of the larger stuff (swans, cranes, turkeys) and maybe even geese. No matter if I’m hunting birds or big game, I like to get close. I shot a 20 gauge semi-auto quite a bit this past fall and never felt “under gunned.”

I’m not a huge fan of the older stuff and don’t have the patience or time to do any refurbishing of any kind.

I’m not out to impress anyone, remember I’m from Utah and that pretty much makes me a dork by default. I get to hunt quite a bit and looking to add a little variety to my gun safe.

Yeah. A guy I once knew tried to convince me his mail order inflatable Princess Di was the best sex ever. Okay, it was only a vinyl facsimile of Princess Di. "But hey, a vinyl fake is better than just using only my imagination." I suggested he quit the plant and take out student loans ... for charm school.

If TSS gets loose from the wad it will score your barrel. It's not a huge deal. I use a layer of mylar inside the wad or even double wads sometimes. I think it's only happened the once. It's really noticeable in that chromed forcing cone, though.

I've been using a scored O/U for several years with no issues, but some people would have a problem with damage to the bore of a prized gun.

@BrentD - great questions!

I’m more interested in the small gauges because of how I hunt and the advancements in components. I’ve shot some sort of a 12 gauge Benelli auto for the past two decades - bought my first SBE at age 15. I plan on reloading TSS for some of the larger stuff (swans, cranes, turkeys) and maybe even geese. No matter if I’m hunting birds or big game, I like to get close. I shot a 20 gauge semi-auto quite a bit this past fall and never felt “under gunned.”

I’m not a huge fan of the older stuff and don’t have the patience or time to do any refurbishing of any kind.

I’m not out to impress anyone, remember I’m from Utah and that pretty much makes me a dork by default. I get to hunt quite a bit and looking to add a little variety to my gun safe.

I do not like inertia auto shotguns. They kick harder than most O/Us. Mostly because they are typically a lot lighter. My old A-5 can be relatively pleasant to shoot (if adjusted properly) because it is heavy and utilizes long recoil action. The gas guns are softest even in the lightweight versions. Personally, I have no use for lightweight shotguns. I hunt big birds and put in a lot of time at the range. Besides the recoil issue, light guns, especially short barreled light guns, are whippy. A heavy shotgun swings better. I don't have any problems carrying my Magnum A-5 all day for weeks on end. It's probably the heaviest twelve gauge ever made. A lightweight waterfowl gun is stupid. The hunter is just sitting in a blind. Anyway, I think you will find a gas auto twelve gauge shoots as soft or softer than a 28" O/U twenty gauge. Points better and an extra shot for follow up ... which you WILL need for geese even at close range.

Nothing against side by sides at all, but for a 20 gauge I’ve been loving my Benelli Montefeltro. I don’t think anyone could say the recoil is anything to complain about.

Last edited:
Look at Lion Country Supplies used guns. Sometimes they have some really nice options.
That's local to me, uper nice folks that work there. Just picked up some new dog boxes this fall from them

Sounds like what Zuckerberg says about the meta verse. I especially like how the dog loves him more after he misses, which will be often.

Sounds like what Zuckerberg says about the meta verse. I especially like how the dog loves him more after he misses, which will be often.
You don't want to be a pheasant in front of him. His misses are pretty darn rare. You, like so many, preach the gospel of O/U as you learned it. Happily, you help keep prices of the best guns down just a little bit. Thanks!!

Just to help muddy the waters for you. Have a gun built that will fit you. Life is too short to carry a double gun that doesn't point well for you no matter how purdy it might be.

Life is too short to carry any gun that doesn't point well. So, buy a double that points for you - in other words be smart and buy one that fits. A side by is like any other gun. If you buy one that does not fit, it won't shoot well. Nothing brilliant about that.

You don't want to be a pheasant in front of him. His misses are pretty darn rare. You, like so many, preach the gospel of O/U as you learned it. Happily, you help keep prices of the best guns down just a little bit. Thanks!!

Life is too short to carry any gun that doesn't point well. So, buy a double that points for you - in other words be smart and buy one that fits. A side by is like any other gun. If you buy one that does not fit, it won't shoot well. Nothing brilliant about that.

First, I'm happy to help keep the prices down. I was once infatuated with the dream of a SxS...then I woke up.

Also, maybe we can agree it is easier to find a SxS that doesn't fit, than most other shotguns.;)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back