SidexSide or Over/Under

First, I'm happy to help keep the prices down. I was once infatuated with the dream of a SxS...then I woke up.

Also, maybe we can agree it is easier to find a SxS that doesn't fit, than most other shotguns.;)
Why would you say that? In fact, they are probably much easier to find. You are being rather ridiculous.

@BrentD - great questions!

I’m more interested in the small gauges because of how I hunt and the advancements in components. I’ve shot some sort of a 12 gauge Benelli auto for the past two decades - bought my first SBE at age 15. I plan on reloading TSS for some of the larger stuff (swans, cranes, turkeys) and maybe even geese. No matter if I’m hunting birds or big game, I like to get close. I shot a 20 gauge semi-auto quite a bit this past fall and never felt “under gunned.”

I’m not a huge fan of the older stuff and don’t have the patience or time to do any refurbishing of any kind.

I’m not out to impress anyone, remember I’m from Utah and that pretty much makes me a dork by default. I get to hunt quite a bit and looking to add a little variety to my gun safe.

Well a simple solution would be to go out and buy a CZ new. But they are pretty clunky for what they are.

A couple better guns for you would be a Browning BSS or an Ithaca/SKB 100. Both are actually Japanese made. The latter I have had 2 in 20 gauge. Longer barrels (27") are almost always M/F and the shorter (25") are almost always IC/M. The latter might serve you better. They are well balanced and have pretty generic dimensions like any off the shelf modern gun. They are easy to find on the used gun market. I would avoid the Turkish made variant of these guns that are being made today. I just don't know much about them.

Life is too short to carry any gun that doesn't point well. So, buy a double that points for you - in other words be smart and buy one that fits. A side by is like any other gun. If you buy one that does not fit, it won't shoot well. Nothing brilliant about that.
Shotgunning is all about the fit, your eye is the rear sight. Upland, there is something poetic about the SXS, my preference is an O/U. Waterfowling if you're committed to a double barrel, I give the edge to the SXS, as it breaks open at less of an angle and easier to load/unload in the confines of a blind.
When I wax poetic for the past I carry dads Steven 5100 SXS or granddads LC Smith long range gun. My personal preferences are Citori's for clays and upland and a Frankenstein Auto 5 magnum, (72 Belgian receiver, Japanese barrel with chokes and plastic stock) for waterfowl.
There are so many choices out there, go with your personal preference and what fits you well and you shoot well.

Love my side by sides, but if challenged I'm really only shooting about 75% with them in the field. Hunting Chukar or training dogs I use my ancient Benelli M2

Well a simple solution would be to go out and buy a CZ new. But they are pretty clunky for what they are.

A couple better guns for you would be a Browning BSS or an Ithaca/SKB 100. Both are actually Japanese made. The latter I have had 2 in 20 gauge. Longer barrels (27") are almost always M/F and the shorter (25") are almost always IC/M. The latter might serve you better. They are well balanced and have pretty generic dimensions like any off the shelf modern gun. They are easy to find on the used gun market. I would avoid the Turkish made variant of these guns that are being made today. I just don't know much about them.
And here I thought I was really getting into the good stuff when I replaced a Baikal SxS 12 ga with a CZ Redhead Premier 20 ga a few years ago................:oops:

Can't recommend the Baikal. That thing was an absolute 2x4. It also double fired at least once for me. I'm sure @BrentD is really wincing at even the mention of it..........😆

And here I thought I was really getting into the good stuff when I replaced a Baikal SxS 12 ga with a CZ Redhead Premier 20 ga a few years ago................:oops:

Can't recommend the Baikal. That thing was an absolute 2x4. It also double fired at least once for me. I'm sure @BrentD is really wincing at even the mention of it..........😆
The CZ is good, but it is certainly very front end heavy (and heavy overall). Personally, I think you can do better for the same money, but it takes some work and time while working the auctions and dealers. I like to help folks realize there is a lot of interesting stuff on the secondary markets that is very affordable and maybe nicer than the off the rack new product.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that you are happy with it. What I think should be important to only me.

Baby frame 28ga are something to hold. I really extra want one for turkey. If my 20ga ever breaks I'll have one.

I rather like my 20ga CZ Bobwhite Southpaw. It fit out of the box. So I bought it. Shotgun shopping is easier if you just handle them and buy what feels right. Shoot, buy three.

Not sure who makes the CZ O/Us but ATA Turkish O/U also fit me right off the shelf. They have longer length of pull than most factory guns. Nice looking gun and good price too but at that time I really didn't need one. I believe ATA still makes Weatherby shotguns and those have a good reputation.

You can own as many guns as like and intentionally forgo any available advantages to mimic a past way of life or to attain lighter weapons or less recoil or make things more “fair” for the chase. Paint the front bead black. Use one shell. Wear flip flops. Shoot off-handed. Shoot from hip. Count to three before shouldering the weapon.

If shooting at a bird, animal or involves home protection…choices matter and will impact outcomes.

I had the advantage of access to my family’s private trap shoot facility as a kid. I shot shotshells by the case. I also had access to all sizes of Winchester Model 12 pump guns. No comparison to shooting a 12 gauge vs. .410 at clay pigeons and as moved further back. Was was obvious the same skill I developed yielded more “misses’ at longer distances as stepped down each gauge from 12-gauge due to less shot pellets and less powder driving the speed of the load.

Seems is a correlation that holds as switch from things made of clay to things of flesh.

I always ask why a tradition is in place. Sometimes a tradition is not an admirable thing. If crippling creatures is more likely with a tradition, I am out. Shooting at clay pigeons? I am in with more challenge.

I'm in the market for either a 20 or 28 gauge over/under or sidexside. I never thought I'd be interested in a sidexside, but I was handling one over the weekend and really liked the feel of it. My budget is $3k.

Over/under or sidexside?

I've always been a Benelli fan, so I'm seriously contemplating a Benelli or Beretta if I go down the over/under route.

I got a note today that a friend of a friend is looking to sell a Browning BSS in 12 gauge. This is a single trigger gun (I'm pretty sure, but not 100%). If you are interested, PM or email me. I do not know the guy, and I have not seen the gun itself. This would be gun that would handle just about any off the shelf ammo as I understand it. This model has a very good reputation among people that really know what they are talking about - but it is modern, not vintage.

I got a note today that a friend of a friend is looking to sell a Browning BSS in 12 gauge. This is a single trigger gun (I'm pretty sure, but not 100%). If you are interested, PM or email me. I do not know the guy, and I have not seen the gun itself. This would be gun that would handle just about any off the shelf ammo as I understand it. This model has a very good reputation among people that really know what they are talking about - but it is modern, not vintage.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested in a 12.

"Modernish."

Great guns.

I carried a Beretta 686 for many years. It turned hundreds of ducks and geese into sausage. Points well for me.

I may be the odd one out, but the American in me just doesnt agree with the english straight stock guns. Also two triggers for hunting seems troublesome unless you never wear gloves and have little fingers.

Ive been lucky to shoot some fine American shotguns made by Winchester (in Japan). (Not the new 101’s made in belgium, no clue on their quality). Model 101 o/u and model 23 sxs. We have both 20s and 12s in the family, except for a 23 in 20ga. Those are around $6k apprently. But if you like how your benelli comes up, these guns should feel the same. I shoot both the o/u and sxs equally as well as my super black eagle. The 20ga 101 o/u can be found for under $2k, closer to $1k. If you have the opportunity, put one to your shoulder and see how it feels. Single trigger. Some of these guns are fixed choke, other are interchangeable.

Best of luck finding something!

I may be the odd one out, but the American in me just doesnt agree with the english straight stock guns. Also two triggers for hunting seems troublesome unless you never wear gloves and have little fingers.

I don't have small hands or fingers, I wear gloves in cold weather (sometimes single digits), and I find double triggers to be as easy as pie. They aren't so hard to use, and the learning curve is pretty quick.

If you don't like a straight stock then find a gun with a pistol grip stock. The English made those too.

Like this.20211118_155540.jpg

If you haven't shot a straight stocked gun, try them and see how they work. Frankly, I don't even notice which type of grip. That's all just appearances to me. All else being equal, straight stocks will be a little lighter, of course.

@BrentD thats why Im probably the odd one out. Ive used double triggers and straight stocks, never shot one that felt right. I havent shot them all though, and like a shoe, some fit some people right, others dont. Thats a nice looking gun but that trigger guard still looks tight to me. I could see where not having to switch a selector for different shots could come in handy.

I am absolutely biased to the guns I grew up shooting the most. Actually hope no one else likes them cause my family keeps buying more.

Back