Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shower?

esracerx

Curious. Last year I had first archery in New Mexico. It was a 2 week long season and I was there for all of it. I start to to stink after 3 hunts and need a shower. As a welder I built a trailer for my atv and put a 65 gallon water tank on it just for us to shower. Have a 12 volt pump with a small solar charger and we have showers for the trip...provided some jackwagon doesn't take a 20 minute shower. What does everyone else do?

Heres my trailer. I set up the Cabelas shower tent, and hook up this awesome on demand heater and we have a hot shower in the middle of nowhere without electricity.

http://www.wayfair.com/Eccotemp-Sys...ortable-Tankless-Water-Heater-L5-EAQ1000.html

Attachments

• 20140829_171122 (1).jpg
    20140829_171122 (1).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 796
I have a Zodi portable hot water shower and a cabana shelter. The Zodi runs on a 1 pound propane bottle and 4 D batteries. It works pretty well and it is light to pack and store and takes up very little space.

Have the Zodi too. Actually had that first. Had a problem with the propane clogging this tiny screen filter.

The last high country bath I took was from a wash pan of hot water on the tailgate of a Ford p/u standing buck naked in 20 degree temps in a foot of snow with naught on but my boots. It had been unseasonably warm for four days, I had been putting on lots of miles, and I couldn't stand the stink any more nor could my tent mates.

I just use the cheepo solar showers and they seem to be adequate. Lay them in the sun for a few hours and they get plenty hot. The hard thing sometimes is finding a place to hang them. I throw in a piece of metal that I can stick in my truck bed.

The last high country bath I took was from a wash pan of hot water on the tailgate of a Ford p/u standing buck naked in 20 degree temps in a foot of snow with naught on but my boots. It had been unseasonably warm for four days, I had been putting on lots of miles, and I couldn't stand the stink any more nor could my tent mates.

This is exactly why I have the set up I do. I've taken those 35 degree showers. I don't think an emoji is made that correctly expresses that experience.

I know how a shower feels soooooo gooooddd, but baby wipes are your friend...got that from another hunt talker :) That set up does look nice though....

I just use the cheepo solar showers and they seem to be adequate. Lay them in the sun for a few hours and they get plenty hot. The hard thing sometimes is finding a place to hang them. I throw in a piece of metal that I can stick in my truck bed.

We used one of those for years and they work great. The one we had held 8 gallons of water which was more than enough. We had a pot that held about 3 gallons of water that we heated pretty hot then dumped it into shower resevoir then filled the rest with cold water and it was nice and warm.
Even just letting the sun heat it was acceptable it just took most of the day to warm up cold mountain stream water.

There's a visual I could live without :D

Great job on the trailer - looks like it will pull very well.

Took it out west last year. Nice long tongue. Going to put a rack over the tongue to hold 2 big coolers. Had brand new tires and springs. Tires were bias ply range c. Those didn't hold up. Just got radial range E last week. Coming back in north eastern Colorado we fueled up and noticed a leaf spring broke. Chained that forward and drove back to Illinois just fine.

Great job on the trailer, it beats heating up a pot of water and taking a tub shower!

I took a metal 2 gallon pump sprayer and replaced the handle with a sink nozzle from the hardware store. Just boil a pot of water and add for a steaming shower. The wife and daughter can even wash their hair while camping.

I just built one using a 6 gallon water container, with a 12 volt pump and a shut off valve going to a shower head, I have to heat the water, but it works great, I have been using it for over 10 years now.

Kevin

I just built one using a 6 gallon water container, with a 12 volt pump and a shut off valve going to a shower head, I have to heat the water, but it works great, I have been using it for over 10 years now.

Kevin

That's how mine works. The hose is powered by the 12v pump and it goes into the water heater. The heater was well worth the 140 bucks. Turn the shower head on, hear a couple clicks for the water heater to light and 4 seconds later you got a hot shower. You can control flow and temperature.

You don't know a true 'shower' until it's 130 degrees out and you're on patrol for 6 days and wiping the boys with a baby wipe and start taking incoming mortar fire with your pants around your knees :D

I work miracles with 2-3 cups of warm water and soap. It ain't rocket science. Get wet. Scrub with soap and light rinse. Do not need more than that. No need for a drenching via a full shower set up other than for aesthetics. Wash every day like that and the 'issue' never gets out of hand.

I have a Zodi portable hot water shower and a cabana shelter. The Zodi runs on a 1 pound propane bottle and 4 D batteries. It works pretty well and it is light to pack and store and takes up very little space.

This is the Zodi set up I have also, and like John said, it takes up very little room. We use to use the bags but upgraded. . .best decision ever. I also agree with the baby wipes, they are your friend in between the showers for sure!

I work miracles with 2-3 cups of warm water and soap. It ain't rocket science. Get wet. Scrub with soap and light rinse. Do not need more than that. No need for a drenching via a full shower set up other than for aesthetics. Wash every day like that and the 'issue' never gets out of hand.

Agreed.... we use a combo of this and unscented baby wipes. Don't like the idea of hauling water. Your setup looks nice though.

A shower (and a pizza) in a hotel room half way home sure is inviting.

Back