Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shoulder strap position?

Trigger50

Is this the proper should strap adjustment or should there the strap be higher off the shoulder?
20230923_114930.jpg20230923_114930.jpg

1695490143076.png

If you aren't bruised, you are ok.

IMO there is no right or wrong way to fit a pack. Just make it comfortable, and adjust as needed. The load lifters should be 2-3" above your shoulder, and pull from the front of the strap rather than the top. I like to have about 60% of the weight on my hips, but I alternate it if I'm packing a lot of weight to rest hips and shoulders a bit. Getting more weight on your hips with a heavy pack makes the belt really tight and will strain your hip flexers.

Years ago packs didn't have waist belts, and men didn't die by loading their shoulders. I have a friend who had a special made frame with no belt... he routinely packed 120lb+ Kodiak bear hides on it, and sheep/camps, moose quarters, etc. He called me a pussy for needing a belt, and padded shoulder straps. :D

I like a little more torque on the load lifters to be able to pull weight up on the shoulders when loads get weird/awkward. I'm sure someone will chime in that you should adjust your weight in your pack and not pull on the load lifters... Put a moose head on your pack and show me how to adjust it properly. haha. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I've packed a lot of meat/antlers and there is no magical adjustment to make the weight go away. Heavy packs are never "comfortable" just make it as bearable as you can. Try the fit with 2 bags of corn on there, then make the adjustment. One bag will feel way better.

with my exo pack I can easily fit 2 fingers in between my shoulders and the straps with about 45 lbs in it, it lowers when I add a full game bag but still I figure 75 % of the weight is on my hips not my shoulders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back