Shoulder roast ideas

VAspeedgoat

I would love to do a bone in shoulder roast. We generally only use this meat to grind but I think I would like to do something different. Any ideas for bone in or out would be appreciated.

Also, if bone in, how much trimming do you usually do? Whitetails in VA are usually pretty high on silver skin and low on lean meat with the shoulders.

I prefer bone in shoulder roasts, one of my favorite cuts for the slow cooker. I first season liberally with creole seasoning, or just salt and pepper, lightly dust it with flower and the brown the outside in a large cast iron skillet with oil. After all sides are thoroughly browned set it into a large crock put. With the drippings in the cast iron skillet make you a thick brown gravy from scratch. Thicker the better! Chop a whole large yellow onion into rings and put it on top of the roast in the crock pot. Add a few cloves of garlic too or a spoonful of minced garlic. Pour the gravy over the top of that and turn it on low and forget about it. I’ll leave it on low all day while I’m at work. 6 hours would do it though. If you want I sometimes add some carrots and potatoes in with it, one pot meal. When it’s done it’ll fall freely from the bone and it will make you think twice about just grinding all the shoulders in the future.

A few other variations are just use a few cups of beef broth instead of gravy (but us Louisianans like gravy!) you can also just top the roast with a package of Campbell’s onion soup mix and let it just create its own juice. The main key is just cook low and slow, don’t try it like this if you’re in a rush. Good luck and enjoy!

Kip, Rookie on cutting front shoulder roasts. Do you trim the outside silver skin off and then use a saw to cut the shoulder into roasts? Sounds like a good way to mix it up some. Thank you

Cooked up a whole bone-in deer shoulder yesterday in the slow cooker. Trimmed as much tallow as I could get off, but left all the silver to keep it from drying out. Set the raw shoulder in, added hot water up to the sides of the meat, sprinkled top with 2t salt, 1t leaf thyme, 1/2t ground pepper, and 1T cumin. Mixed 2t minced garlic, 1/4c dijon mustard, and 1t water together, then basted on top of the roast with the mixture. Finally, completely covered the roast in onion petals. 8-hour setting or until meat pulls easily off the bones and the silver lifts off the meat. Served with mayo, and a side of baked halves of butternut squash with cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

Kip, Rookie on cutting front shoulder roasts. Do you trim the outside silver skin off and then use a saw to cut the shoulder into roasts? Sounds like a good way to mix it up some. Thank you
Yes, I use a saw to cut the shoulder into roasts, and I usually do my trimming just before I prep it to cook. Just trim the silver skin from the surface and that will do the trick. As far as a saw goes, I actually use a sawsall for this sometimes. Better that a hand meat saw. Not counting the shank I end up with 2 or 3 roast from each shoulder depending on the size of the deer.

If you’re low on time try this. I’ve altered it some. Trim the edge of the shoulder so it fits in the crockpot. This is designed more for antelope or a doe shoulder because of size. Set shoulder, bone in, in the crockpot. Mix 1-2 cans of cream of mushroom soup with a packet of Lipton onion soup mix and layer on top of the shoulder. I like to sauté an onion and mushrooms in butter and then dump all of it on top of the roast including the butter. Cook on low covered for about 8 hours. Then make some homemade mashed potatoes once the meat is cooked and use the gravy in the crockpot for them. Meat is fall off the bone tender.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back