Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Update--Should I Trade In My Semi-Auto For a Side-by-Side

I have at various times been smitten at the prospect of a SxS. Even to the point of seriously shopping for one. BUT,,, at the end of the day, for me, my Beretta 686 points better for me. I'm immune to their siren song now, I'll never buy a SxS.

If SxS's were easy to point,, they'd get more use in the various clay target games.

@BrentD might have some input on doubles in terms of value/$

I would avoid a cheap double

I honestly like my Browning Gold I got for cheap

if you see yourself long term shooting a snooty double (I do) maybe get a hold of an ok semi until you can find a nice Fox, Citori, etc

would agree more info on what you want to do with it is key (ie, mainly ducks vs woodcock/grouse?)

Last edited:
My Benelli SBE is probably the best gun for hunting that I have certainly ever owned. i have only used Stoegers once and that was hunting doves and ducks in Uruguay. With the high volume shooting they did cause us too many problems and I came away with no thoughts of ever buying one.

I have been on a hunt or two where some guys shot old hammered sxs 12 gauges. These guys would have been very annoyed if I had showed up with my Benelli. I used a 20 gauge 0/U and they barely tolerated that. LOL.

I actually shoot a Winchester 20 gauge 1200 pump that cost me $175 Canadian on Hungarian partridges about three times every September. The smoke pole is absolutley deadly for some reason.

I greatly regret my stoeger m3000 purchase a few years ago. Worst gun purchase of 20 plus I've made. Fast forward to last year and the purchase of a super black eagle 3 is hands down the best gun purchase I've ever made. That recoil system drastically makes a difference. My sporting clays scores went from 42-45 to 47- 49 instantly. Still chasing that 50!
I'm saving up to move from my nova to a super black eagle in the near future, heard nothing but great things about it!

I've always been of the school of thought that you get what you pay for, especially with guns. If you're going to get a semi-auto you might as well save up a few more bucks to get something dependable rather than settling for something. If you do end up getting a middle of the road type of gun I've heard positive things about some semi auto Berettas in that price range.

I am still using my 1100 3inch Mag from 1976. I did change the bolt this year because with new shells the primers were backing out 1/16 of a inch , bolt cost under $10.
Dam things are only good for 100,000 rounds, Yes I have shot a lot of Trap & Skeet in the off season.
Lots of Good used one around for under $750

I have had a Stoeger M3500 for 2 or 3 seasons now, and I am about fed up with it.
After going through multiple problems I am ready to trade it in.
Convince me on why I should switch to a side-by-side or if I should buy another semi auto.
My budget is $750

Before someone says get a pump, I already have a Winchester 1200 that is my backup gun/old reliable but I prefer not to hunt it much as its a inheritance gun.
Also after years of shooting pumps, they are not my preference.

Thanks in advance for the replies :)(y)
I think it depends on what your primary use for the gun is. If upland, sure, go SxS, but if you hunt more waterfowl I would upgrade to a better semi. Putting a beautiful double through the terrible weather generally associated with waterfowl hunting brings a tear to the eye. I upgraded to a benelli SBE 12 years ago, excellent gun, no regrets. I would love to have a nice double, but the cost of a quality double always stops me. Quite a few nice semis out there, all around a 1000 bucks and up though.

I want to love double guns and have had a bunch. Only one I have now is a 12 ga A. H. Fox Sterlingworth. I’ve had Winchester 21s and 24s, several Ithacas, LC Smith’s and a couple of AYAs. The last hunt I did with a SXS was shooting marsh hens with an Ithaca .410 out of a hand made poling skiff near Oak Island, NC.
I can shoot an OU much better, and my Beretta 391 better still. That said, my favorite shotgun is an older 30” 20 gauge Citori, with the Prince of Wales pistol grip. That thing is magic in a dove field.

All this talk about SXS shotguns has me thinking about pulling out an old 16 gauge that was gifted to me this year for some wood duck shooting. Not to hijack the thread but any recommendations on 16 gal. Non toxic ammo with no chokes? Hevi metal classic doubles maybe?
Kent Bismuth Upland in 16 ga. Has worked well for me.

Figured I would update this thread.
I purchased the Weatherby Element Waterfowler 12Ga and used it all through duck season.

I cannot attest to reliability as I only fired ~150 shells. A mixture of heavy and lighter loads.

I did end of selling it a couple weeks ago. I couldn't hardly hit a dang thing with it, which I found odd as the 20ga Element is the complete opposite.

I have decided I am going to ditch semi-autos and get a O/U. Since hardly anything is in stock I'll have time to save for something slightly better than a Stoeger or Tristar.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards a Weatherby Orion with the CZ Swamp Magnum a close second

I've had the plastic pin holding the bottom plate spring in place break twice, both after probably about 1000 rounds fired. Both times in the duck blind. Both after first round of ducks. Both times left me with a single shot which actually never turned out all that bad as I had to make it count each time ;)
A young fella at clays had his go full auto ... twice. Yikes!

WestKyHunt,
I would not expect you to hit anything with a side-by after just 150 shots. Takes a fair bit longer to get used to it.

As with SxSs, I would not buy a new O/U. Too many good used ones that are much nicer than anything new. Be patient and hunt hard (for the gun). You will be rewarded.

WestKyHunt,
I would not expect you to hit anything with a side-by after just 150 shots. Takes a fair bit longer to get used to it.

As with SxSs, I would not buy a new O/U. Too many good used ones that are much nicer than anything new. Be patient and hunt hard (for the gun). You will be rewarded.
The gun i had and sold was a semi-auto. I let myself be talked into another one even though deep down I knew I wanted a double barrel configuration of some sort.

Any used O/U anyone reccomends?
Has to be rated for steel shot

Chcks dig double guns.

Dogs respect you more & perform better.

Your hair grows back.

Your back stops hurting.

Your wife will be more amorous.

You'll hit more birds.

And they're just dead sexy.

Get a used gun that fits. German if possible. Best bang for the buck in the used market.

...AND you still look cool when you miss!

I love my upland sxs... I have a CZ bobwhite that was just barely out of your price range pre-pandemic (a little hard to find now but they’re still available) but my pride and joy is a beat up old Ithaca Lefever nitro special I bought for a song on gunbroker a couple of years ago and had a ‘smith friend of mine go through and do a safety inspection on before I started hunting with it.

It all depends on what you really want out of hunting. If you need the long range shotgun for the timid birds, you probably want the 3 1/2 inch auto stoked with some heavy shot. But if you just want to work hard at getting them in close, nothing beats an old 2 1/2 inch hammer gun.

SXS shotguns bring more to the field than just killing stuff. It will help to ease the snooty aspect of hunting if you wear enough camo...

C678D749-C8D3-4AAC-BB11-A12F953BDCBA.jpeg

Back