Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

shot placement

Rooster52

What is your preferred shot placement on deer ?
I always aim for the high shoulder as it drops them in there tracks.We hunt private land and try to not have to track wounded animals on the neighbors.

My brother hunts mostly does and he waits for a good head shot. No tracking there either .

In my opinion that high shoulder is a good shot but tends to ruin some meat. But it does the trick that's for sure. I usually just go for a double lung if I can but each to their own as long as the animal is taken with an ethical shot one is comfortable with.

I've yet to try the high shoulder. I think I might next year, especially if it's an elk standing in a spot that would be good for cutting him up in. I'm going to tinker with some Bergers this summer.

I've always gone for the half way up behind the shoulder with my accubonds and had good results when I've gotten both lungs or heart. I've heard of critters going a long ways when you only get one lung.

I agree zachthebowhunter in that you should take the shot your comfortable with. I personally go for the double lung right behind the shoulder and rely on a short track job. Double lung only goes a 100 or 200 yards..I have also taken shots in the neck, shots in the back of the head. The shot I will not take is a head on chest shot! I would take a head on throat shot but like I said it will always depend on the situation. I don't think there is a catch all right or wrong.

I go for double lung behind shoulder . Never had a muley go more than 75 yds . Shooting .300 wsm with 180s

I aim right for the ">" in the shoulder pocket. They usually fall within steps of being hit.

Anything heart/lung will put them on the ground within 10-15 seconds. I try not to get more complicated than that. If I have to plow shoulder to do so, so be it.

Hope tomorrow I can put a 130 partition thru the shoulder of nice whitetail buck here in Michigan

High shoulder has a lot of room for error, but I hit them behind the shoulder as to not waste the shoulder meat.

The brain is actually pretty small and well protected. Unless you "miss large" on a head shot you will hit a jaw or a nose. I learned this early on when I popped a deer in the nose as it was facing me. The nose has a huge "crush zone" and it didn't die from that wound but I was lucky enough to get another shot. I'll never take a head shot again unless the animal is facing away.... but if you plan on either hitting really small or missing really large go for it ;)

but I hit them behind the shoulder as to not waste the shoulder meat.

That's my preference. I don't mind tracking a lung shot deer for a little bit. It always annoys me when I bust up a shoulder or worse yet, both of them. All taken in consideration that it's an open shot and I have time to get a fine aim. It annoys me worse to have a buck get completely away because I'm being too picky about aiming points.

Head shots are too dangerous IMO. The only way I'd ever attempt one is if were the only option at very close range or in the back of the head. Dying of starvation with a blown off lower jaw is a terrible way to go.

Right behind the shoulder for me. I can't stand wasting any meat, so I'll never intentionally put one in the front shoulder. A double lunged deer will rarely make it out of sight even in the thick woods of Minnesota.

I've taken a couple of head shots at close range (<30 yards) in the past, and have had good luck with them. I won't take them anymore after having to finish off a deer that my buddy shot the jaw off of. It was an ugly sight and I told myself that day that I'd never take another head shot. I do love making head shots on grouse when I get the chance, though.

Right behind the shoulder,double lung usually. Low hit heart or liver. High hit the spine.

I dropped one yesterday with it,hit high in the spine. When I required him in scope all I saw were legs sticking up.

High front shoulder. I took my antelope at 258 yards and deer at 190 yards with my 223 this year. Both high front shoulder shots and dropped them where they stood.

I like to line up at least one shoulder for a lung shot. Most drop at the shot and doesn't tear up all that much meat.

Right behind the shoulder which is pretty typical. I think people make the most mistakes on up and down as much as behind the shoulder.

With a gun I don't care all that much. I go right behind the shoulder and I will aim mid body. Out of a tree stand with my muzzy under 30 yards I have to aim at the heart and I will hit lungs.

With a bow I have been really adjusting my shot a lot based on what the deer is doing, distance tree stand height etc.

If they are really close under 20 yards I don't mind hitting them a little higher. Being in a tree the elevation makes the arrow go down through lungs. If they are 20 and beyond I am starting to aim a little lower, specifically on deer that are alert. It is amazing how much they can drop even at 20 yards. Here is a video from a week ago on a doe I killed. I aimed at the heart purposely because I knew she was alert. You can fast forward to the end to see the shot. She only went 15 yards.

Angles will get you on deer with a bow also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCIsnBn02Q

Right behind the shoulder which is pretty typical. I think people make the most mistakes on up and down as much as behind the shoulder.
I agree and last week took the high shoulder shot on a bull, but it hit a tad high and he kept going. Luckily he went around the corner and I got another shot which I placed behind the shoulder in the "engine compartment". Doubled lunged, he fell and died right there.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back