Caribou Gear Tarp

Shooting in B'more

Hopefully people read this a few times to try and understand it. I've been watching and tweaking my feed for years because it's pretty obvious to see how the various systems whether it's Google, Instagram, Facebook, or whatever react to your actions.

For example, most recently the story about the club bro at the US Open on the PGA tour sparked my curiosity so I clicked on a couple of stories. I don't follow golf, but my news feed has been inundated with the PGA tour and only in this past couple of weeks it has cleared up because I opted out or turned off notifications for tried to tweak my suggestions.

With Facebook, I'm extremely careful what I click on or even view or a period of time because of what can be considered an " impression". It's amazing the amount of information individuals will gladly volunteer on social media platforms.

It's certainly a two-way street, but it's incredible how one's digital actions drive their own narrative.
That explains it. Hunttalk is my " feed". mtmuley

There was a mass shooting event in B'more yesterday, and I'm wondering how many of you have seen anything in your news feeds yet. I know there is bias in the news, but this is just beyond my comprehension. Don't search for it, or google will find related searches for you. This thread may even trigger it... I want to see if it shows up and report back if you've seen anything.

The only place I've seen it was in the local news for the city. 2 dead 28 shot. It was a local city block party with 100s of people present.
Now your dating yourself with old school b-mo
Only guys from the block used the term in the service.
And nothing on the news here.

It hit my newsfeed today. I didn’t check this morning. Not sure what it means in your query. They are so common I don’t click on them anymore. The details are pointless.

Some have pointed this out and I would agree, it is less AI is determining what you see, but rather you are telling the AI what you want to see. It’s a feedback loop. That’s why cat videos are so popular. 😉

When I realized a couple years ago that the articles I see on any "free" news site, are different than the articles my friends, wife, or coworkers, etc. see, it was eye-opening for me.

I don't do social media other than HT, and I always knew online advertisements were targeted, but NEWS??

Also interesting that the news you see is influenced by people you're around....e.g you meet a friend for a few beers, he's been reading all about UFOs recently...your phones / apps know your spent 1.5 hrs together at Billy Bob's Tavern by your location data so the next day or two you're getting news feed about UFOs.

And yeah I saw a headline on Baltimore but didn't read the article

Saw it last night. It was on main news page. It's been on my thread since. Being an active assailant instructor for work I kinda have a tendency to read these so it's by my own doing.

Nothing shows up in any of my feeds now. 28 f'n people shot. It has a lot more to do with who and where than what happened. You can bet you ass of this was a mall or church in suburbia it would be all over the place. If you don't believe racism exists today, this is a prime example.

Last edited:
My only "feeds" are HT, LRH, and Twitter since Elon took over, just to see what was going on. Twitter was pretty much down on Saturday and part of Sunday for me, but this story was front and center from several outlets.

As for discussing UFOs and then having ads show up, my wife made a remark about some trees, and I sang a couple of lines from an old 50s song. Turned on my apple music channel and that was the first song to play. The mics on our iPhones, computers, and TVs are supposedly turned off. That seems like a pretty long odds coincidence. Hmm...

Nothing shows up in any of my feeds now. 28 f'n people shot. It has a lot more to do with who and where than what happened. You can bet you ass of this was a mall or church in suburbia it would be all over the place. If you don't believe racism exists today, this is a prime example.
There are people shot everyday in Baltimore, usually 4 or 5 on weekend. You would think they would kill each other off eventually?

Popped up on my Google news feed the morning afterwards and stayed there until other stuff pushed it out. Same with the Juneteenth party shootings last month.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back