Shooters tarnishing our public land

The way I see it, the only solution is a long term one and that is for every responsible hunter and public land user to mentor a kid before they have a chance to run off their rails. To find a boy who doesn't have a dad or other family members to show them how to be responsible. Take them out and teach them how to enjoy nature and shoot and pick up their trash and hunt and fish and feed their families. A kid who has had those experiences at age 7, age 10, age 12, is going to be less likely to be one of the pack of wretches when he gets older.

I used to be able to shoot in my pasture. I have about 10 acres but a couple years ago the state of MS slipped in a law banning any discharge of a .22 caliber or larger on any property less than 300 acres. You can shoot a bow or an air rifle on 10 acres if you live at least 300 yards from another home. They have made it very difficult to find anywhere to practice. I got to some National Forrest and spend 30 minutes or more cleaning up the knuckle heads trash that came before me. It’s always frustrating.

I used to be able to shoot in my pasture. I have about 10 acres but a couple years ago the state of MS slipped in a law banning any discharge of a .22 caliber or larger on any property less than 300 acres. You can shoot a bow or an air rifle on 10 acres if you live at least 300 yards from another home. They have made it very difficult to find anywhere to practice. I got to some National Forrest and spend 30 minutes or more cleaning up the knuckle heads trash that came before me. It’s always frustrating.
So, your saying you can't legally hunt with a rifle unless you own 300 plus acres? That doesn't quite make sense. People deer hunt on small properties everywhere.

So, your saying you can't legally hunt with a rifle unless you own 300 plus acres? That doesn't quite make sense. People deer hunt on small properties everywhere.
This is how the MS law reads, so I think he misspoke.
(6)

Rifles; handguns. A centerfire rifle, rimfire rifle, pistol, revolver, muzzle-loading rifle, or shotgun using a rifled slug may be discharged:

a.

On a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

b.

In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

(6)

Rifles; handguns. A centerfire rifle, rimfire rifle, pistol, revolver, muzzle-loading rifle, or shotgun using a rifled slug may be discharged:

a.
(6)

a.

On a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

b.

In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
Thanks for posting this…I actually was told what I posted by the sheriffs deputy that was telling my brother in law he couldn’t shoot his gun on his own property. I took it for fact…the deputy and I went to school together. He’s a good guy and good at his job. Obviously didn’t know what he was talking about though. He did say it was recreational shooting and not hunting that wasn’t allowed. I just texted him a pic of the post. I still can’t shoot my gun on my land which sucks!

Thanks for posting this…I actually was told what I posted by the sheriffs deputy that was telling my brother in law he couldn’t shoot his gun on his own property. I took it for fact…the deputy and I went to school together. He’s a good guy and good at his job. Obviously didn’t know what he was talking about though. He did say it was recreational shooting and not hunting that wasn’t allowed. I just texted him a pic of the post. I still can’t shoot my gun on my land which sucks!
You’re welcome. You sure you can’t abide by paragraph b ? That’s pretty ambiguous. If you only had 2 acres and you set up a bank for the rounds not to leave your property you would be in compliance with the law.

Ban recreational shooting on public except at designated ranges.

I confronted a guy shooting illegally on public land last year. He got all puffed up so I called the warden, who made him leave.

You’re welcome. You sure you can’t abide by paragraph b ? That’s pretty ambiguous. If you only had 2 acres and you set up a bank for the rounds not to leave your property you would be in compliance with the law.
Good point. I will have to dig into this a little deeper!

I'm sure my calls to the Forest Service and BLM about illegal shooting would be received as well as my reports of fire ban violations, off-road vehicles, and littering.

I’ve watched recreational shooting absolutely ruin seversl chunks of public land in Mt over the last 48 years.
Worst problem is that the agencies in charge of management won’t lift a finger to do their job.

I’ve confronted people, written letters and emails till I’m out of air….. the govt twinks in charge won’t do a damn thing but sit by and watch while the ground gets trashed and ruined for all other users. Only solution is to ban rec shooting on public except in designated areas.

Reading these posts makes me glad to have some local sportsman’s clubs to shoot at and volunteer my time keeping the ranges clean.

We have a nice range just outside of town. Fees are reasonable and memberships aren't capped. Located just past the city landfill. People still drive right past both to shoot up their old appliances and furniture on a sliver of BLM miles down the road.
Yep. Just a matter of the BLM not taking care of the land they are in charge of. If it was state land it would be a much different situation.

Nebraska put in a really nice range over by Scottsbluff which is impressive.

I’ve watched recreational shooting absolutely ruin seversl chunks of public land in Mt over the last 48 years.
Worst problem is that the agencies in charge of management won’t lift a finger to do their job.

I’ve confronted people, written letters and emails till I’m out of air….. the govt twinks in charge won’t do a damn thing but sit by and watch while the ground gets trashed and ruined for all other users. Only solution is to ban rec shooting on public except in designated areas.
Yep, you can go down to the USFS office here and find plenty of people picking their nose, playing on the computer posting on forums, etc on the clock but if you go look at how many tickets they write for littering, off road driving, leaving campers more than 14 days, unoccupied camps sites all summer long, etc they don't do much.

Yep. Just a matter of the BLM not taking care of the land they are in charge of. If it was state land it would be a much different situation.

Nebraska put in a really nice range over by Scottsbluff which is impressive.

Around here, most of the really bad recreation shooting happens on state land. Probably more due to the state lands being located in the valley and most forest service in the mountains. I would definitely say the state does little if anything to discourage the practice, and I doubt they ever clean up the worst spots. I’ve hauled several full truck bed loads to the dump.

Back