Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shoot me down: bleats beat rattles

Ben Long

I'm a big fan of calling. To me, it's the ultimate in interactive hunting. So when hunting whitetails I rattle, grunt, bleat, etc. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the most effective of these is the doe bleat. Last night, I saw this buck 150 yards from my stand, heading for the exit. I gave two bleats and he turned around and sauntered slowly in to me within 50. It makes sense to me that the sound of a lonely doe is more captivating than the sound of fighting bucks, the risk/reward is greater. The only downside of bleating is its volume is low, compared to rattling. Don't get me wrong: I've had rattling work and it's fun and keeps you warm, but I think it's a tad overrated, probably because it is so visual and good for magazine photo spreads and video shoots.Ben buck 2020 cropped.jpg

Calling can have mixed results imo. If you are between two deer though it works like clock work at least in my experience.

I've had some success rattling and grunting bucks in for a shot.
This year I tried combinations to also include the doe bleat.
Nada.
Hunting timber is the most difficult
More times than not I was wishing to be off the ground in a stand.
I think success comes from being in a high buck density area where competition is elevated.
Nothing better in the deer hunting world than a buck running in to your lap. Imo

I haven't even had a buck come to a bleat. I have rattled in lots, grunted in some and have good success with a snort weeze. I'll admit I use the bleat the least, might have to try it more.

i have had great results with the bleat. They do come sneaking in when you are in the timber. You have got to be on your toes. The whitetail i shot this year was coming in to the bleat. I once pulled an aroused mule deer buck away from 6 does and yearlings he was scent checking. I was wearing the Becky Blacktail hat and using the can. He came in cautiously and got my wind but if i would have had a shooter, he might have closed the deal. I have also watched some deer with binos and got no results at all with the can. I cannot say I have ever scared one though. I have had does flip out when they see a decoy though. Keep trying. Its fun.

i have had great results with the bleat. They do come sneaking in when you are in the timber. You have got to be on your toes. The whitetail i shot this year was coming in to the bleat. I once pulled an aroused mule deer buck away from 6 does and yearlings he was scent checking. I was wearing the Becky Blacktail hat and using the can. He came in cautiously and got my wind but if i would have had a shooter, he might have closed the deal. I have also watched some deer with binos and got no results at all with the can. I cannot say I have ever scared one though. I have had does flip out when they see a decoy though. Keep trying. Its fun.
One year I tried a buck decoy while bowhunting in Montana early October.
The does flipped out and ran,even though the decoy was scent free and down wind.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back