Shiras moose caliber

Smallest cartridge I would use on a moose is my 6.5x55. I have a 25-06 also and if the need to use it came about it would not bother me in the least! Thing most people don't get is there is no magic in a bullet. A properly placed bullet from anything pretty much kills anything very dead. That is about the shooter, not the cartridge! We spend much to much time talking about cartridges and no where near enough talking about hunting skills! Lot of bow hunter's show us every year that they can kill with a stick!

In my 25-06 I have used 117gr Hornady inter locks on deer for years. Using the same load on a moose I would get within 100yds and shoot the moose in the neck. No a problem as that rifle put's 117gr bullets into about 3/4" at 100yds. Imagine this, Your family is out of meat and the only rifle you have is a 22 RF Mag and you only have one round of ammo. ya gonna kill that moose or throw up your hands and walk away? I'd kill the moose. Every cartridge there ever was will fail if the shooter doesn't do his job! And if he does do his job every cartridge ever was will fill the freezer!

Last edited:
A Barnes TTSX bullet out of a 25-06 should be good enough. However, if you're looking for "plenty" and not just "enough", I'd see if I could beg/borrow/buy cheap a 30-06 or similar.

Moose are just not that tough. Far less hardy than elk. I'd roll with what you know, stay with what you're comfortable and familiar with - THAT is more important than horsepower. Killing is about putting a bullet in the right spot, and familiarity is the biggest part of it. The 25-06 is one of the most underrated BG cartridges there is - it will work absolutely fine! My old ranch neighbor is a guide and has taken dozens of elk with his battered 1970's Ruger 77 25-06 (his only rifle).

@Sisu64, have you had any luck yet?
Nothing yet, went out the first week of September with my brother and dad. Long story short, wildfires and a broke. Down truck turned a 7 day hunt into 3 days. Our party did see 6 cows during that time including one at 20 yards. Heading back up for a few days from the 12-16, hoping I don’t miss the rut. Did get a little action when I was duck hunting yesterday though, just not in my unit :/

Attachments

• 34028BB6-5A8C-489B-B299-BA254540A473.jpeg
    34028BB6-5A8C-489B-B299-BA254540A473.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • AFA1B853-C7D2-49F6-B3BD-C57470E09070.jpeg
    AFA1B853-C7D2-49F6-B3BD-C57470E09070.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 41652128-4C8E-4547-B68F-2C7744DAC795.jpeg
    41652128-4C8E-4547-B68F-2C7744DAC795.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
Nothing yet, went out the first week of September with my brother and dad. Long story short, wildfires and a broke. Down truck turned a 7 day hunt into 3 days. Our party did see 6 cows during that time including one at 20 yards. Heading back up for a few days from the 12-16, hoping I don’t miss the rut. Did get a little action when I was duck hunting yesterday though, just not in my unit :/
If you have a moose tag why are you duck hunting?

12-16 is getting pretty late for the moose rut

If you have a moose tag why are you duck hunting?
I’m wondering the same thing but honestly I only get two weeks off for work and already used one for the September hunt. I m saving the rest for the 12th-16th because my deer and elk tags will line up with the hunt too. If that fails I’ll hunt weekends until the season ends in November

Are moose tags easier to get in your neck of the woods? The hell with ducks!

25-06 will work just fine on a moose unless you are really itching to get something else. A 120 gr. Nosler Partition or 110 gr. Nosler Accubond out of your rifle would work just fine.

A step up in caliber if you want to get another rifle I believe would be something along the lines of a 280 Remington or 280 Ackley Improved. A little above that would be the 30-06 Springfield. Any of these three would work for most North American game and can be found in rifles that don't break the bank.

Rifles: A Ruger Hawkeye or Model 77 new or used should be reasonably within your price range. They are good stout rifles with the controlled round feed like the Mauser and Winchester Model 70.

Best of luck on your hunt and have fun!

7mm mag will do just fine. 30-06 would be enough as well. I would look for a used Browning X bolt or Tikka in that price range.
I am looking at a Moose Trip in the coming years.
I have my grandpa's 30-06 that I have not had an opportunity to harvest anything with at this point.
My buddy has offered me to use his 7mm Rem Mag. I am still trying to consider which would be my better option.
Evidence points to the 7mm, but there is a level of sentimental value with the 30-06. Do you by chance have any experience using either of these on a Moose?
I know the legend has it that the 30-06 can kill anything in North America, but I am just unfamiliar with the 7mm to the point of looking for recommendations.
Thanks,

Shot a lot of moose with 30-06 180g. Some drop on the spot, others need to be blood tracked. Current rifle of choice is, Browning X bolt, 300 win mag, 180g bullet. Most moose are down, quick.
Do you have a specific brand of cartridge you use? Or are using handloads?
Thanks,

I have my grandpa's 30-06 that I have not had an opportunity to harvest anything with at this point.
My buddy has offered me to use his 7mm Rem Mag. I am still trying to consider which would be my better option.
Evidence points to the 7mm, but there is a level of sentimental value with the 30-06. Do you by chance have any experience using either of these on a Moose?
I know the legend has it that the 30-06 can kill anything in North America, but I am just unfamiliar with the 7mm to the point of looking for recommendations.
Thanks,
I used a 7mm RM on my Canadian moose last fall. 25 yard shot with a 150gr factory CX through both lungs. He trotted about 30 yards and then tipped over. I don't see how the result would have been any different with a 30-06, 308 or 300 WM. Bullet weights, velocity and recoil will be similar between the 7mm and 30-06. Take whichever one shoots better for you. Use a good bullet like a partition, accubond, bondstrike or copper, make a good shot in the vitals, and you'll be just fine.

Thanks,
In the early '80s I shot a 50" Shiras Moose near West Yellowstone, MT. One shot kill with my .30 Gibbs (an improved .30-06) and a Nosler 180 grain Partition bullet.

The next year a friend asked me where he should apply for a Montana Moose tag. I told him to apply in the unit that I killed my Moose the previous year. He did, drew the only non-preference point tag, and we took my horses in, and first light opening morning he kills what was then the 4th highest B&C scoring moose from Montana. One shot from his 7mm Rem mag instantly dropped his bull.

A few years later I drew anotherl Moose tag in that unit, and I killed a 40" bull with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr Nosler Partition bullet.

All 3 of those Moose were shot at under 100 yards and with bullets placed just behind the bull's shoulders.

I have a Moose hunt booked in Northern Alberta this coming fall, and I will use either my 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain Accubond bullets or my .300 Weatherby with 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. I'm leaning toward the Weatherby.

Love the 300 Win Mag with 180gr Nosler Accubonds
Love the 338 Win even more with 225gr Nosler Accubond
For Moose in Alaska .
Once in awhile you will catch me with my favorite 308 Win and 30-06 moose hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back