PEAX Equipment

Shiras moose caliber

Sisu64

So I drew a Shiras tag for Idaho this year and only have one rifle, a 25-06. From what I’ve read, recommendations for moose general start in the 7mm or 30cal range and go up from there. I want to be ethical in my rifle choice but money is also tight to be dropping it left and right. I have also always struggled to get rid of being recoil shy since I was young (though having ear plugs has helped tremendously)so I’m cautious about magnums. Looking to update my rifle for moose and elk, what caliber should I look at and any affordable (sub $700) would you recommend? I also should note that I cannot find 25-06 ammo for the life of me that’s not core-lokt so that also factors into my thoughts of upgrading.

I think you would be pretty well off with something simple like the .30-06. Like Southern Elk said, I would look at the Tikka series. You should be able to find a heck of a rifle in that price range.

Although I am a BIG Tikka proponent, and would definitely recommend anything in the caliber range you mentioned (especially a used Roughtech or Veil with the brake), if you can't find one in your price range then I would point you to the Ruger Americans(predator in 308 is threaded or you could get the Go Wild camo in 308, 06 or 300wm cerakoted with a brake for about 649). They are no frills but good shooters and you have some $$$$ for a brake to solve any recoil issues.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have someone offering to let me borrow their rifle but honestly its a really nice gun and I can see myself dropping it or something happening. I considering the 30-06 or 308. Thanks again everyone!

Is this a rifle you want to continue using? If so, sell the 25 and bump up slightly to a 270 or 06. The recoil is reasonable and a little more heft.

Shot a lot of moose with 30-06 180g. Some drop on the spot, others need to be blood tracked. Current rifle of choice is, Browning X bolt, 300 win mag, 180g bullet. Most moose are down, quick.

I shot a lot of moose with my WWII 30-06 Springfield. It's enough gun but barely. 180 gr cup and core would be my choice. Right now it's nigh onto impossible to find any ammo with fancy bullets on the selves. You should be able to find lots of used guns in 30-06 and .308. Perhaps we should steer suggestions to what older used brands/models he should avoid? I think most of the relatively new Winchester Model 70s are okay. Some of the old pre-1964 ones were hit and miss for accuracy but they are expensive collectibles now. Always lots of Remington Model 700 available but fans definitely have a love hate relationship with them. Savage, if relatively new, are usually accurate enough and affordable. Not very glamorous but they work. Ruger 77 is also very serviceable but they usually bring a good price used. Stay away from lightweight short "scout" models if you are recoil adverse. A heavier gun will hit you less hard and it will hold better if you have to shoot offhand (not advisable for you unless moose is very close). Anything with Browning name will always have high resale value but if you can find one in your budget, snap it up. I don't think they ever made a bad bolt action rifle. Weatherby = expensive to buy and to shoot. Their Vanguard series seems more affordable/practical but used ones may be hard to find. CZ are good quality for the money but also may be hard to find used. Sako are supreme but used ones are usually (but not always) pricey.

So I drew a Shiras tag for Idaho this year and only have one rifle, a 25-06. From what I’ve read, recommendations for moose general start in the 7mm or 30cal range and go up from there. I want to be ethical in my rifle choice but money is also tight to be dropping it left and right. I have also always struggled to get rid of being recoil shy since I was young (though having ear plugs has helped tremendously)so I’m cautious about magnums. Looking to update my rifle for moose and elk, what caliber should I look at and any affordable (sub $700) would you recommend? I also should note that I cannot find 25-06 ammo for the life of me that’s not core-lokt so that also factors into my thoughts of upgrading.
If you want an all around rifle in a caliber that is not to recoil prone I would select a 3006 Springfield it will kill any Moose or Elk out to 350 to 400 yards if you do your part….. A 308 Win will also work just fine and throw bullets up to 180 grains with authority….. If you go on the Alaska Fish and Game website you will see they endorse these cartridges for ALL Alaskan game, that should tell you something….. Killing power that most men and women can shoot without developing or enhancing recoil flinch……..

Not my first choice for moose, but if I had to, I would not be afraid to use my .257 Ackley on a moose. I made a one shot DRT kill on one of my best 6x6 bull elk with a 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullet with that rifle, and one of my friends has killed a number of elk with his .25-06.

At under 100 or so yards, a 115 gr Barnes TSX just behind his shoulder shouldn't have any problem killing a moose.

I killed both of my Shiras moose, each with a 180 grain Partition from my .30 Gibbs. If Canada will let me in this September, I hope to kill one of their moose with a 180 gr TTSX from my .300 Weatherby.

Back