Shingles Vaccine

I saw what my dad went through with shingles, (it was nasty). I got my shots 3 years ago, mild flu symptoms and sore shoulder after the first and nothing after the 2nd.

I got one about 10 years ago and never got the second one. I don't remember what it did to me then. It's going to be tough getting #2 this time knowing what #1 did.
Got my first last month. Pretty mild. Second in December. Cost benefit analysis. Again, it is better than shingles and if it gets in your eyes you can go blind. #2 should be less of an issue.

No vaccine can be as terrible as the ol’ Herpes Zoster! Just imagine having a case start 2 days before you leave for a week long elk hunt…
Imagine being one of the unfortunates that have your face affected and your eyesight becomes so blurry you can’t see to shoot your bow clearly beyond 20 yards, your itching bad enough to make a mad hatter look sane, and have to interrupt your hunt for an ER visit, and your shoulder hurts almost too bad to draw a bow! It would make a lesser man end up smack dab as a poster child for the quitter thread! No tents were shanked and with the help of my dad I stuck it out for the whole entire week hunting every day. But it 100% sucked with a capital SUCK!! This is one vaccine I would tell anyone to get lol!

Me in September 2017:
IMG_0970.jpeg

Most of the shingles cleared up under 2 weeks with Valaciclovir but it took a few months and some veery expensive medicine to get my eyesight back to normal. My ophthalmologist told me that this same condition 40 years ago would’ve likely left me mostly blind. Did I mention take the shot lol?

Last edited:
Got my first shingles shot in September and it kicked my ass for a couple days. Plan on getting my second shot in January.

I was 28 when I rolled my quad with a moose on the back getting squashed between my quad and the moose horns. After I healed up I always had a lump a few inches off my spine which is where the shingles lays dormant at. About a month after I got shingles and the lump disappeared and never came back. That’s my story of how I got shingles. Most likely from stress at work but I like my version better lol. When I am of age I will get the vaccine for sure it wasn’t a fun experience

Other half got his Shingles shot this past week no problems. We also got a tetanus shot(if you can't remember the last shot it's time for another one). The tetanus shot bothered both of us with feeling queazy and a knot on the shoulder. Shingles shot didn't bother the husband. He had a light case of shingles many years ago around the torso and said it felt like a bad sunburn. Get the shots.
I got my shingles shot many years ago with no problems. I'm more worried about lock jaw from tetanus. Since we all hunt and use knives and get cuts get the tetanus SHOTS!!!!!!

In 30+ years, I've heard of chickenpox (was a party kid myself) for kids under 4, and shingles in the old and unhealthy 65+.

That is broad, as much of my exposure is probably older than 65 that had shingles or 4 and under for cpox.

When has shingles become the new black death?

(Not conspiratorial)

is it .health/.gov/.ins taking advantage of hysteria from covid to encourage people to get vaccines that pre'20 wouldn't have otherwise?

Or are yall old as dirt and at the age of "either get the vaccine or get hospice"?

(not asking for debate on efficacy etc, just inquiring on all these new pushes for vaccines lately for every cotton picking thing out there)

In 30+ years, I've heard of chickenpox (was a party kid myself) for kids under 4, and shingles in the old and unhealthy 65+.

That is broad, as much of my exposure is probably older than 65 that had shingles or 4 and under for cpox.

When has shingles become the new black death?

(Not conspiratorial)

is it .health/.gov/.ins taking advantage of hysteria from covid to encourage people to get vaccines that pre'20 wouldn't have otherwise?

Or are yall old as dirt and at the age of "either get the vaccine or get hospice"?

(not asking for debate on efficacy etc, just inquiring on all these new pushes for vaccines lately for every cotton picking thing out there)
The pox was bad in our house. I have scars still.

The vaccine for shingles has been around, before the jab.

It's really funny when people comment about how it disturbs them how many vaccines there are available.
The success of vaccines is the worst enemy of vaccines. People my age and older pretty much all knew someone who hobbled around dealing with the aftereffects of surviving Poleo, or saw the pock marked faces of those lucky enough to survive Smallpox. We all had to listen to our parents and other elders sadly telling stories of all the loved ones they lost to all the horrible diseases that are pretty much gone now, because we have vaccines. People now days have no personal relation with those diseases, so they have no frame of reference when it comes to the discussion of the benefits and risks of vaccines.

Human nature, I guess.

I had a mild case of shingles when I was in my 20s (mild is a relative term) My doc keeps telling me to get the vaccine, but I never seem to get around to it. I guess I am hoping I some protection from having had it.

But I am probably wrong.
I had a mild case around 30 years old. Just turned 60 and have put off the vaccine, but will probably get it. Not looking forward to the side effects, however.

Get the shot, way easier than going through Shingles. I had it, took the medicine they recommend but it didn't do much. Had about 6 months of effects from nerve pain, itching and others. I got the first shot, I was told I wasn't old enough to get the 2nd one yet, which seems really odd to me.

2 Years later I still have effects from it. There is a spot in my back that I have very little feeling as it killed all the nerves.

I had Shingles in 2009 at the age 35. My sister, who lives nowhere near me, got shingles the week before me. We both had chicken pox at the same time in 1982.... Now I have not heard whether this makes me more prone to Shingles again or not. But it was a reminder that the virus is lurking there...

The pox was bad in our house. I have scars still.

The vaccine for shingles has been around, before the jab.

Gotchya, older brother has scars from it, not severe, but scar none the less, not the rest of us kids.

I just hadn't heard of it as I more or less heard people getting shingles (or not), than getting a/the vaccine (obvious...), but never heard about a vaccine. Maybe my heads in the sand on it.

I would have never made it through all the shots I have had in my life, if I was born today. LOL
I lost count before I ever made it to 18.

And here I am.

Reactions: Hem
Back