Shelter-in-place cooking

Last pack of wild boar ribs in the very bottom of the freezer. I didn't cut the side pork/bacon meat off of him because he was pretty lean. Cooked 3-2-1 method in the smoker, but still a little tough. With a chopped salad, homemade Cole slaw and mustard potato salad with a good beer.

Attachments

• KIMG0506.JPG
    KIMG0506.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
I've been trying to celebrate each day of quarantine with a wild game meal. Here are some highlights:

Chipotle Shredded Elk - using for tacos, burritos, nachos, etc.
Smothered Elk Steak - it was my grandma's recipe, she used pork chops and would make it for Christmas Eve
Wild Turkey and Noodles
Elk Lasagna (no pic)
Elk Burgers (no pic)
Elk Chili (no pics)
Elk Sloppy Joes (no pic) - this was Danielle Prewitt's recipe from Meat Eater https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/venison-sloppy-joes-recipe - this was awesome, everyone should make this at least once

Attachments

• Chipotle Shredded Elk.jpg
    Chipotle Shredded Elk.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Mushroom Elk.jpg
    Mushroom Elk.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • Wild Turkey and Noodles.jpg
    Wild Turkey and Noodles.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
I have one of my favorite recipes in the crockpot right now. One deer roast (in this case its a big neck roast) one packet of McCormick aus ju seasoning, one packet of hidden valley ranch seasoning, a whole chopped onion, a bunch of pepperoncinis with a splash of the juice, and a whole stick of butter right on top. Cook on low until fork tender. Shred and let sit in the juice for as long as you can resist, then serve on a seeded long roll with provolone cheese.

I have one of my favorite recipes in the crockpot right now. One deer roast (in this case its a big neck roast) one packet of McCormick aus ju seasoning, one packet of hidden valley ranch seasoning, a whole chopped onion, a bunch of pepperoncinis with a splash of the juice, and a whole stick of butter right on top. Cook on low until fork tender. Shred and let sit in the juice for as long as you can resist, then serve on a seeded long roll with provolone cheese.

I do that with beef chuck roasts. The recipe I saw it from was call Mississippi roast. I found using low sodium gravy packet made it less salty than the au jus.

I do that with beef chuck roasts. The recipe I saw it from was call Mississippi roast. I found using low sodium gravy packet made it less salty than the au jus.
My mom makes them with beef chuck roasts but there is almost too much fat. I like it better with wild game because it is still juicy but you don't feel like you need to take a shower after you eat it.

Plan for tonight is Grilled Lemon Herb Wild Turkey breast.

Currently I have an elk roast in the crockpot with beef broth, red wine, celery,onions,garlic the house smells so good.

Muley backstrap stuffed with cream cheese with ranch powder, chopped jalapenos and onion wrapped in bacon smoked over cherry wood.
Very nice! I’ve done this a few times now and it’s always gone in seconds around our BBQs.
Never thought of trying it with ranch powder. Might have to now.

Back