Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sheep Tag - would you rather

Much to agree with in your thoughts but for me I am willing to roll the dice and wait it out. My job can cause plans to change quickly. Particularly in Sept thru Nov. Last year I had to bail on a CO deer tag due to work issues the day before I was set to head to CO. Right now I have 21 PP for sheep so there are tags I could draw but still a PP shy in the unit I really want. A Wyo sheep hunt is the hunt I want more than any other. My plan is to keep gathering PP then cash out the year I plan on retiring. That will give me the entire summer to scout the unit and the entire fall to hunt the unit with no work distractions. Many assumptions riding on this plan and those assumptions can and will change but as of today its still a solid plan. For me a surprise sheep tag would suck. I have 7.5 more years of waiting and gathering PP's.

Its all a calculated risk, and in your case, I think you're in the drivers seat with that plan. You'll have 28 or 29 points at the time you want to hunt, and will be in a pretty shallow pool of applicants by then with that many points.

To further add some other thoughts...and how things can change your decisions.

I have a good friend who has about 3 or so points less than max in Wyoming and can draw areas 1-10 with his points. The debate is whether to hunt one of those units or wait for one of the top 2-3 units. His case is a bit different in that he's shot 2 B&C bighorn rams already, but is also realizing that most of the NR's in his pool are probably thinking the same thing (holding out for the top couple units). Its a tough call, he can have a fantastic hunt now...or risk it and wait, its a tough dilemma...

I think a lot depends on if you've already shot a couple rams, if score is important, if you want an old ram, DIY, guided...lots and lots of stuff to think about.

The cool thing is, there really isn't a wrong/bad decision if you're in a place to actually draw a sheep tag. Doubtful there will be regrets either way.

But, my biggest fear is getting hit by a bus and having points on the table I could have used and didn't...that would suck.

Thinking about this more i really think you should draw tag ASAP in your dream area, then can start process/wait and get back in game maybe hit on a ramdom in by or in 2028? The only thing better than a sheep tag is 2 sheep tags...lol

Both my sheep tags were drawn with 16-17 points. The UT tag I knew I could draw and had researched for a couple years.....last years Nevada was a surprise. I will take what I can get and be happy for it. Now any sheep tag will be a surprise and very welcome.

Thinking about this more i really think you should draw tag ASAP in your dream area, then can start process/wait and get back in game maybe hit on a ramdom in by or in 2028? The only thing better than a sheep tag is 2 sheep tags...lol
How about 3 sheep tags? 2001 was a good year for me! Two were planned, Yukon and Unlimited, but the unplanned and unexpected Idaho tag was easily the best of the three.

I drew a Tule Elk tag in a hunt that only issued 1 tag, so it was like drawing a sheep tag. Also, I never bothered to go online and look at the results so it was a real big surprise when I got a letter from the Fish & Game. I saw the envelope and was actually worried thinking Why is F&G writing me a letter ? What a turn of emotions when I saw " Congratulations on drawing your elk tag"
Although drawing an elk tag in CA is not a OIL tag, the odds of drawing it is.

After thinking about it some more, I think I would rather be surprised. Don't get me wrong, I will be stoked when(if) I draw, which I am tentatively planning for 2021. But I think I feel like the ratio of excitement to pressure may be lower? I don't know. Maybe I am over thinking it. I kind of want to just get it over with so I can stop thinking about it.

If I had anything except impossibility I would be changing my underwear.

I would definitely take a guarantee over a lifetime of rejection.

How about 3 sheep tags? 2001 was a good year for me! Two were planned, Yukon and Unlimited, but the unplanned and unexpected Idaho tag was easily the best of the three.
Wow! What a year. Curious to hear more about this. How was the time allocated for all of these?

I have drawn sheep tags twice in my life, both of which were very long odds. The first was a desert sheep tag in Nevada when I was 17 years old. The second was last year in New Mexico (no point system, random draw). Both were very unexpected and the excitement at having drawn is incredible. So I guess I lean toward drawing the unexpected. Nothing like it. Plus, if you're expecting a sheep tag it means you've been applying for a very long time.
You should share some pics of your sheep if you like

I have drawn a mountain goat tag and was successful to take a very nice billy. I apply each year for a sheep tag here in Montana but have yet to draw one. But, a good friend has drawn a bighorn sheep tag here in MT and I will accompany him on his hunt. BTW, there is a wilderness hunt zone that abuts the zone that he drew the tag for and opens same day that the sheep season opens. Therefore I could possibly take a good elk, mulie or a wt. One must keep his options open along with his eyes.
Accompanying him will be great and frankly I will get to hunt sheep vicariously through him. I cannot take a sheep but will be able to enjoy the hunt, the adventure.
For those that apply each year I say continue to apply and dream.

By surprise. If I draw a moose, goat or sheep my boss knows I won’t be working again from opening day until my tag is filled so I’d love to have it be a surprise.

Still waiting on drawing a ram tag, hopefully one day. I was lucky enough to be surprised this year, not a ram tag but I’m not complaining.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UPWolf
Back