Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sheep stories.

Tom

Greenhorn asked for some sheep stories in another thread. Try

MCELROY HUNTS ASIA, by C.J.McElroy founder of the Safari Club. One story is about the all-time world record Altai argali. or

MEMORIES OF A SHEEP HUNTER, by Rashid Jamsheed. One story is a 90 day hunt for a 67 inch Marco Polo and a world record markhor hunt. He's hunted every mountain range in Pakistan and Afghanistan. or

ARGALI High-Mountain Hunting, by Ricardo Medem. Its his third book and some say the best. He's won the Weatherby Award. Those people have trouble transporting animals they shoot. There's like over 200 species those people get with that award and they need lawyers to help them figure out the laws in transporting animals they hunt all over the world.

You'll like some of those stories. The books are at www.safaripress.com.

A couple of great books that I would suggest are;
Magnificent Obsession: In Quest of High Mountain Game by a friend of mine, Israel Torres.

Lords Of The Pinnacles by an acquaintance of mine, Dr. Raul Valdez.

Also available from Safari Press

Tom I ran across your post last night and today went to www.safaripress.com and wrote in Manories of a sheep hunter by Rashid Jansheed then scrolled down to number 10.What a ram 71 inch sure made my day!Can you imagine hunting in that country let alone a Marco Polo Ram. Bill

Those hunts have got to be more expensive than I can afford. I can't hardly imagine it. Its #2 and #1 is from 1895?!. Unbelievable stuff. Those mountains over there are pretty high, like Everest is the top of the world over there.

Here's the text from 10 that you're talking about.

This tremendous Marco Polo sheep was picked up by Canadian hunter Jurgen Blattgerste in 1991 while hunting in Tajikistan. The longest horn has a measurement of 73 inches which would rank it a shared number two spot in the 25th edition of Rowland Ward's Record of Big Game if entered. This is truly one of the greatest big-game heads of the second half of the 20th century. The number one Marco Polo argali in Rowland Ward's Record of Big Game was recorded in 1895 with a length of 75 inches and the number two sheep, also recorded in 1895, has a longest horn of 73 inches. Jurgen Blattgerste's pick up head equals the number two Rowland Ward head and it is the second largest recorded in over 100 years!!!! A remarkable feat and not likely to be exceeded any time soon.

Tom,

Yes those are some good stories I'm sure. A friend/acquaintance of mine usually takes hunters yearly to Russia and Tajikistan for the big Marco Polos and Argalis. Due to the situation this year though that's obviously on hold. I believe one of his hunters took a top 10 ram a couple years ago. Incredible pictures and amazing stories. Here's the sheep. At like 18,000 feet above sea level.
rob2.JPG

But what I was kidding about with my inquiry was a great Corsican Texas hunt. :D Slightly different than an Wild Asian Sheep Hunt.

The highest point of Texas is like 8,500 ft and there's no hunting allowed there but I've seen wild elk near there. At the Rocky Top ranch I shot a corsican once 250 yards accross a canyon. Some thought it was stupid as I had to bring him up the other side one step at a time and they thought I should have just hunted the top. I'd set my rifle down, put the gutted sheep one step up, move my rifle up, put the sheep one step up, and they kept yelling from the top, cut the head off. Finally, two friends came to help, realizing I wouldn't quit. They found two rattlesnakes on the way down to me. Another corsican, my brother and I stalked in the woods with walkie-talkies keeping him between us once we decided to get him, for my brother to eventually get a shot with his bow. Walkie-talkies are legal here, at least for exotics. Several sheep are part of the 10 animals in the Super Exotic Slam for Records of Exotics, those who score the highest in this slam each year are "Hunter of the Year", they probably have some good stories but I don't have a reference for them. Its different hunting here, but there is plenty of it.

Tom,

How inspiring.

Someday .. maybe, if I can muster up the change.. I will experience the thrill and excitement of such adventures.

Danr55 is getting a hog varmint hunt together for bow only. It would cost you a $35 liscense for 5 days and $75/day to hunt and stay at the ranch. Its free ranging, unguided, we just scout, set up, and hunt them. You shoot all you want, no limit. So you might like it better than a corsican hunt. Night hunting the hogs is legal, so that would be a different thrill. You just get a $10 light for the pins on the bow and you're set, set up on a hog trail and wait. There's hog calls, like a grunt tube also, but they'll come to the fresh tracks spot again the next night likely, we just have to find that spot and stay awake.

$26,000 for a Marco Polo, well, I guess I better pay for my house first, then I'll win the lotttery or something maybe. Its a neat web page though for sure.

Guys that $26,000 is $52,000 in Aussie bucks and if i had those dollars i would be right there for a lifetime dream hunt. :D Hey Moosie i`m back

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back