Caribou Gear Tarp

sheep & goat drawing results out

SJ
you can but it is a regerstation (sp) hunt and is doesn't open until mid oct or later I think. Not the best time to be on a side of a mountain in Alaska

Are you talking goats? Unless there's a major season change coming this year, sheep should open Aug 20th (excepting some permit areas)

Most Registration Goat seasons start on Oct 1st.

If you're looking for a spot....look into hiking up Peterson or Kern creeks just souuth of Girdwood. I went up Peterson and came down Kern (in the dark--big mistake--long story). They both drain the same snow bowl--going over the saddle at the head puts you into Twenty Mile. I took a nice billy (8 7/8) there in 98--I saw two others while putting on my stalk.

There used to be a decent trail up through the bottom of Peterson to the big talus slide. Apparently there is a trail up into Kern as well but that would require a dedicated scouting trip to locate

email me if you want details

Erik in Ak
Thanks for the heads up, might have to try that, was wondering did you park your vehicle by the road, I'm sure you know were that informal shooting range is were you walk over the RR tracks. I was there a couple years ago doing some shooting and came back to the truck and some dip$hit had cut my tires. Sounds like a lot of vehicles parked along the road are getting hit, I go fishing down by 20 mile & Placer and have had no problems there. I will send you a email. Thanks Steve

Thats the place--to the right of the shooting area is a cut through the alders. It follows the creek for a while and you have to cross/recross the creek a few times until you begin to climb out of the vegetation. You have a few grown over moraines to climb over(they look like "hills") then its pretty much a straight forward hike up to the bottom of the talus. From there you're on alpine tundra, rock or scree until you get to the permanent snow.

here's pics of that goat after I got him back from the taxidermist--I dropped(lost) my camera in Kern creek on the slog out so no hunt pics

Attachments

• 98 Goat1.jpg
    98 Goat1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 120
  • 98 Goat2.jpg
    98 Goat2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 117
Very nice looking goat Erik.

300wsm we have a goat hunt in unit 14 that is an over the counter and it hunts in early Sept. and you can shoot a Sitka Blacktail while your at it for a trophy fee. The draw hunt we offer is in unit 8 on Kodiak Island.

T-bone- Congrats on the tag! Since you're going to be on the Noatak River, you might want to read Last Light Breaking by Nick Jans. It's not a hunting book per se, but does give an account of his time on the Noatak. Good read IMO.

like you fellas I drew two fat zero's on goat and sheep.Sure was loking forward to getting a goat,but maybe next year....BTW! Erik thats a sweet looking goat,congrats and to bad about the creeek swallowing your camera,that bites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back