Sheep and moose combo

AkBearHunter

Managed to take this small ram after almost 2 weeks of searching for a legal ram. Saw some that were bigger horned but not full curl and I don't count rings, it's way to risky IMO.

2 days later I connected on a respectable 47" 4x3 brow tine bull moose.

Attachments

• DCUA sheep hunt 2009 010.jpg
    DCUA sheep hunt 2009 010.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 441
  • DCUA sheep hunt 2009 014.jpg
    DCUA sheep hunt 2009 014.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 431
Great looking bull! That'd be a horrible guy to run into in a 50" area.
Congrats!

How old did ADFG age that ram. Can't count the rings on that ram for sure. Those light colored horns make it tough and with all of the speculation lately, it is way too risky. Congrats again.

The ram was 7.5 years old and was full curl. His horns started turning up at an early age so he didn't go out as far as most rams, hence him being full curl. Not exactly what I wanted from a draw tag but it's better than eating tag soup and I love sheep meat.

The bull moose was a good stalk for me. I spotted him from camp and was on him within 45 minutes, followed him as he trailed a cow. They kept weaving in and out of the trees and bushes then he bedded down but I thought he was just standing there. I waited probably 15 minutes then he started to move and came into an opening, I grunted, he stopped and I put a 150 Nosler Partition through his aorta and got a complete pass through with no meat waste at all. He stumbled and crashed over a small tree, breaking his right front shoulder. I walked up behind him and put one in the back of his head. Done deal. We got the 4 wheelers right to him as there are trails all over and he was in camp by 2 pm. He was taken in a 50", spike/fork, 4 brow tine area and I saw the 4 brow tine before I saw his whole rack so I knew he was legal no matter what.

Last edited:
It looks like you bled that ram good so he should eat well... :D
Great moose, I saw a couple bruisers up in DCUA when I was in there. Probably still there too since I doubt anyone was going to hike that far back in for a moose. Anyway congrats on the hunt and the freezer full of meat.

TB

Yeah, I know a spot that has a few over 60"s but the only way to get them out is with a knife and fork. Looking forward to the sheep meat this year, it's been a long, long time since i've had sheep and the moose will save us from buying meat at the grocery store. Congrats on your ram too, he's a dandy!!

Thanks, it was a fun hunt and you can't beat the meat. I took a bigger ram out of the DCUA a few years back so I'm just doing a euro mount on this one. Try to save a little money so I can go again next year. Time to start thinking about what areas to apply for.... ;)

I'm doing a euro mount too, just need to find someone with bettles and get this thing cleaned up. Draws are right around the corner and i'm glad they went with doing all the draws at once, sure makes things easy. Good luck to you!

Looks like a great hunt. I sure can't put 7.5 years on that ram. I agree with you on trying to count rings. It's almost impossible unless your actually holding them. I would love to be present when those guys score rams. On my brothers they actually used a long wooden dowel as a straight edge and measured across the bases to see if it was full curl. Did they do anything like that with yours?

You can't beat being able to get a wheeler close to those moose. They are monsters. I don't think us flatlanders in the states even have animals that big to hunt. My brother got one with his bow last weekend up there as well. They are huge. Your bull looks real heavy. Thanks for sharing and eat some steaks for us:D

Thanks...I did not doubt that the ram was full curl as the tip is up there near the bases, but wondered what the bio aged it. Take it to another and I am sure that you will get a different one :) Part of the advantage of taking a full curl, nothing too subjective.

I love the part about taking the moose out with a knife and fork...been sheep hunting and seen those guys myself. No real reason for them being so high and so far in those drainages. But no one is stupid enough to take them out.

Happy eating.

F&G actually did that dowel test but with a flat ruler and it didn't touch either horn BUT, when you hold the head to get that perfect angle the left horn goes up past the bases making it a full curl. Both the F&G guy and Trooper aged it the same, right at 7.5 years. I have lots of trouble counting rings so I don't even attempt it, he's either fullcurl, broken on both sides or so long and heavy on both sides that he has to be at least 8 years old. One of my buds tried to tell me that the space between the horns will tell you if a ram is old or not but I had to call BS on that one, my bigger ram has a spread between the horns wider than this ram and he is older to boot.

Kudos man !!! Them are dandy's !!!

Yeah, I know a spot that has a few over 60"s but the only way to get them out is with a knife and fork.

But no one is stupid enough to take them out.

In case there is any question.. I have a knife AND a fork ..... and go figure, I'm dumer then a BOX OF ROCKS !!!

~Have gun, will travel !!!

Last edited:
The perfect moose is any 4 wheeler moose!

Looks like you had a great time out in this wonderful part of the world. Thanks for sharing.
My buds could not go this year, so I didn't.

man bearhunter you went out on a limb pullin' the trigger on that sheep for sure!!
the dowel test really don't mean anything when they seal those sheep, not sure why they even have it. they usually do the PVC pipe test over here which makes more sense.

bearhunter- Both of them are outstanding. I absolutely can not wait to hunt dall and moose(and goat and deer and griz and caribou and...). I recently acquired a brother and father in-law in AK ;). So hopefully I can work that out and actually be able to hunt up there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back