Caribou Gear Tarp

Sharptail morning

YOu're killing me, as I sit in front of a computer for the 60th hour this week. Can't wait for Sunday and to get out chasing sharpies!

I love them because of where they live, their ability to slip through a stirng of #6's and that they're native birds. My favorite bird to hunt in MT.

Great thread, HWife! Enjoyable. Regrettably, its been ages since I've managed a sharpie hunt.
Hunting with dogs brings a great sense of satisfaction.

Enjoyed the pics. Thanks.

" Don’t know why I’m so nuts for these birds. "

I do, they're more of a challenge than " Chinese ditch chicken" and taste just as good.
I gota get out before big game and get a few too.
Taste just as good as pheasants? They're not as bad eating as many folks make out, but definately not as good as pheasants. Huns are the real sweet meat in that country. I don't find sharpies terribly hard to hit ... until after the first two weeks of season. Then the challenge is getting close enough for a shot. They sure get spooky fast.

Good lord, that’s amazing! What state are you in!? I feel more than a little envy.
Montana.

Last hunt yesterday. Windy again, wild birds, fell in a badger hole so finished a little tenderfooted. One flock let me get in range and I got a double. Hunting Husband managed a double. The dog caught someone else’s cripple so did almost as good as we did. 😁 The sharpies are (mostly) safe until next year.

I think sharptails are fantastic table fare. It’s just not realistic to compare pheasant and sharptail...two distinctly different meats. I can only think of one recipe that I use either pheasants or sharpies for. Otherwise I treat sharpies as a red meat, which they are. Sharpies are fantastic with red wines, balsamic, herby recipes. Moroccan grilled sharptail is my favorite. They were also great in paella. Or schnitzel with balsamic and arugula. So hungry...😁

Now counting down the days to start chasing my other favorite prairie dwellers- Antelope!!

Back