Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shanks

mtmuley

I am going to give them some smoke then to the Instapot. Anybody done it? mtmuley

Not with shanks, but I've done pork butt that way when short on time.

I used a recipe recently that called for smoking the whole shank for a few hours, mainly for flavor, then braising for several more hours. The braising portion was similar to any osso bucco recipe I have used. The dish turned out absolutely phenomenal. So long as I can help it, I will never saw another shank into discs and use the whole shank method.

Edit: This is the recipe I used: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/venison-shanks-stout-coffee-smoke/

Last edited:
Looking forward to trying some shank recipes. I've got deer and elk shanks piled up in the freezer waiting for me to figure out a good way too cook them.

Smoked elk shanked prior to braising in dutch oven. Let us know how the Instapot turns out.

Attachments

• Resized_20191019_121924001_4747.jpeg
    Resized_20191019_121924001_4747.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 26
Report back for sure. I've never put a shank in the InstaPot, but everything else I've done in there has turned out, from moose to pork butt. I always braise shanks and they're always good, but it's a long cook.

Lately I’ve been throwing deer shanks in the crockpot with a large can of mushroom soup, a cup of red wine, and another can of mushrooms. Cook for 8 or 10 hours on low and then serve over noodles. Easy and delicious. The meat is fall apart tender.

I've never thought of smoking a shank but I may give it a try. I brown them and then cook them in a crock pot using any recipe for Osso Bucco and they are delicious.
I cringe when I think about all the shanks wasted by cutting the meat off for the grind pile.

I used a recipe recently that called for smoking the whole shank for a few hours, mainly for flavor, then braising for several more hours. The braising portion was similar to any osso bucco recipe I have used. The dish turned out absolutely phenomenal. So long as I can help it, I will never saw another shank into discs and use the whole shank method.

Edit: This is the recipe I used: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/venison-shanks-stout-coffee-smoke/

definitley tryimg this on antelope whole shanks and then if it is great on bighorn shanks.

Looking forward to any more uses of the Instant Pot. My favorite way so far is Hank Shaw’s Tunisian shank recipe. Amazing with some pita.

I’ve used this recipe on deer shanks with excellent results, and served them over smoked Gouda grits.

I‘ve also smoked wild hog shanks for a few hours, vacuum sealed, and then sous vide. Pulled them for street tacos. They turned out great. Have several antelope shanks in the freezer from this fall that I can’t wait to play around with. A great, much overlooked and under appreciated cut for sure.

I throw them on the grill in the corner while I cook steaks or burgers, then move them over the flame but close all the vents while I eat said steaks or burgers, then throw them in the crockpot over night with various recipes. I always grill on wood. Basically I just get them a little smokey, then a little charred. The mainstay crock pot recipes are a pulled pork recipe(even though this is closer to beef), a barbacoa recipe and a carne guisada recipe. I do it with any meat that I wouldn’t eat as a steak, but after grinding some shoulder and flank, shanks and necks are what usually end up in the crock pot. The barbacoa recipe makes good “brisket” sandwiches, the pulled pork recipe makes good “bbq” sandwiches, and the carne guisada recipe makes good carne guisada!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back