Shamelessly asking for your winter range honey hole

PablitoPescador

It’s that time of year where there isn’t much going on and my mind seems to still be stuck on mule deer. I’m on dad duty the next couple weekends and was thinking it would be fun to drive down to Park county with the boy and watch winter range mulies for a bit. He’s getting to the age where he’s fascinated with animals and it would be fun to show him some. Wouldn’t mind seeing some elk either. I have a general idea of where to look but would appreciate any tips on where to see some critters from the road this time of year. Feel free to pm if you prefer that.

Drive up to wapiti, about an 80% chance you see big herds of elk and deer on the private right out of town by the river. They tend to winter down there. Keep driving up north fork to pahaska for a decent chance at herds of big horns and random buffalo right off the highway.

Drive up to wapiti, about an 80% chance you see big herds of elk and deer on the private right out of town by the river. They tend to winter down there. Keep driving up north fork to pahaska for a decent chance at herds of big horns and random buffalo right off the highway.
Thanks for the tip! My family is from Worland and I'm pretty sure we drove down there a couple times to look at wintering critters when I was a kid. Hard to recall some of that stuff because it's been so long ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what's down there.

Back