Caribou Gear Tarp

Sh*t our kids do

Nearly twenty-five years ago when we lived in our little townie starter home (subdivision with sidewalks, etc.) I had brought a buck home whole from hunting nearby and was processing it in the garage. Had just skinned it and taken the head off to let the carcass cool a bit, came back outside to see my then four year old daughter down the street at the neighbors garage sale with the head in her wagon doing a show and tell for all the participants.🤦🏼

Came home once after a weekend of very successful duck/goose hunting (full possession limits of both) to sit down and start processing. Hour or so later I “thought” I was done, went in and showered and grabbed a beer to watch the football game. Made it about halfway through the first quarter when I hear the wife’s
$&@€%$!! coming down the hall.
She’d gone down into the youngest daughters room to find a honker in bed, head on the pillow, next to the daughter who was “reading” (she was 3) a story to it.

After about four minutes of ass chewing by the wife on both of us, the daughter simply looked up and said “so can I keep him?”

Soon after my kids were born, we moved from near Indianapolis back to the home town about 40 miles from work where we both grew up. Walking distance to every where, library, school, grandma's house, my sister's house. Every time it rained the worms came out on the sidewalks and the kids were CRAZY about picking those up. Making pets of them. Taking them to school for show and tell. Crazy about worms, go figure.

Guess I'm lucky no one put them up their nose.

They were teenagers by the time we moved here.
Laura Sherman Cabin.jpg

Soon after my kids were born, we moved from near Indianapolis back to the home town about 40 miles from work where we both grew up. Walking distance to every where, library, school, grandma's house, my sister's house. Every time it rained the worms came out on the sidewalks and the kids were CRAZY about picking those up. Making pets of them. Taking them to school for show and tell. Crazy about worms, go figure.

Guess I'm lucky no one put them up their nose.

They were teenagers by the time we moved here.
View attachment 221359
We had a small meltdown yesterday because the bus was running over worms when it pulled in the driveway.

Putting the milk carton back in the fridge empty when there are 2-3 full jugs out in the garage fridge.

Miss piles of dog poop when it is time to pick it up. 85 pound giant Schnoodle piles are hard to miss... every time..

At the exact moment I pick up the phone for a work call 2 or 3 of them come in the office to: Tattle/ask for a snack/tell me a random story

When my 2 boys were about 4 and 6 I shot a deer in my grove that ran out into the neighbors field and died. I asked the boys if they wanted to come with me to gut it out and they said sure. We took the truck out to the deer and when I got my knife out My older boy asked if they could cut out his brain. I just shook my head and said no son thats not part of the process.

Kids, well they grow up. Our wonderful daughter n me were out at our remote cabin hunting for moose for a few days. Actually she rebuilt the carburetor n fuel pump on the suzuki 4 wheeler and restricted me to the front deck doing moose calls n drinking whiskey while not out in the blind. After a few days we had to head back out so took the wheeler to the lake to catch the plane. She packed 75 pounds for 2 miles from the lake to the cabin when we first got there and restricted me to my rifle n ditty bag backpack.
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw our son on board the plane. They had planned out for him to come out so that they could get the firewood up for the winter and give the cabin a good cleaning, I thought it was clean. So I didn't have to.
They wanted to make sure i could just chill out when me n mom went out on snogos over the winter or if I went out to trap. I felt so proud but kinda like a melancholy moment as I realized that they were taking over the reigns on our family cabin. And when the pilot circled back around so I could see them.
There they were, on a wheeler heading north. Daughter driving of course. And it's dad's turn to have fun while they take care of things. I'm confident in their skills. They've spent their lives with the bush in their back yard.
They grow up too fast. I'm sooooo blessed that they live near and can continue watch them grow and now raising their own. Now I have plenty of time to start being papa.
And when they got back to the cabin, there was a mid forties bull standing right behind the cabin. Drawn in from me doing calls on the deck. They enjoyed the moment. As we just got done processing a nice bull the last thing they wanted was to have more work. And hopefully I can call that bull back when he's over 50" and I can help our daughter harvest her first moose. I called in a huge 58" non typical for our son. That was his first moose.
Stuff our kids do and then grow up that matters. I'm so proud of ours. Take one make one folks and the outdoors available as public lands can keep growing

We have a couple house cats. My youngest son has been infatuated with them since he was about 1 yr old. About 2 years ago (he's 8 now) he was crawling around on his hands and knees acting like one of the cats (nothing too weird about that). However, a minute later we hear "ewww gross! I don't know why cats like sniffing each others butts. His [the cat's] butt stinks!" It literally took him smelling the cat's butt to figure out that it might not smell very good...

Came home once after a weekend of very successful duck/goose hunting (full possession limits of both) to sit down and start processing. Hour or so later I “thought” I was done, went in and showered and grabbed a beer to watch the football game. Made it about halfway through the first quarter when I hear the wife’s
$&@€%$!! coming down the hall.
She’d gone down into the youngest daughters room to find a honker in bed, head on the pillow, next to the daughter who was “reading” (she was 3) a story to it.

After about four minutes of ass chewing by the wife on both of us, the daughter simply looked up and said “so can I keep him?”
I nominate this as one of the tops so far. Fantastic.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back