Caribou Gear Tarp

Sgt Mikes chili recipe

Clawsar

Hey guys, I am way behind in my podcasts and had just heard one with Jonathan O’dell and a super easy chili recipe. Has it been published or put out on YouTube yet? I can’t seem to find it but thought it sounded like a good one to try this coming fall. Or maybe I’m over thinking the approximate things he threw out. Thanks!

Is this the recipe that utilized mostly canned goods? If so, I was trying to find that recipe as well.

I made it by following the instructions on the podcast. Its was pretty good for how easy and simple it was to make. Plenty of room to tweak the recipe for your tastes.

I made it by following the instructions on the podcast. Its was pretty good for how easy and simple it was to make. Plenty of room to tweak the recipe for your tastes.
Thanks 270. I listen to these podcasts while driving and couldn’t write it down. Maybe I’ll just need to go back and find it while I’m at home. Thanks!

I apologize for asking, but I listen to about 10 podcast a week. Could someone remind me which podcast it was? I'll try listen to it again and find the recipe and write it down here. Thanks!

I apologize for asking, but I listen to about 10 podcast a week. Could someone remind me which podcast it was? I'll try listen to it again and find the recipe and write it down here. Thanks!

It was demo'd on a day-by-day Arizona (youtube) hunt. IIRC Marcus and Wade rifle hunt Coes deer, BigFin gets after Antelope Jackrabbit and quail, falconry duck hunting is shown on that week's hunt.

The YouTube episode is titled "2019 Arizona Coues, Quail & Javelina with Randy Newberg (Part 2)" and you can see the chili at about the 20 minute mark. However, there is no recipe.

Episode 106 on the Podcast "Cooking Some Conservation History & More Cooking" features Johnathan O'Dell. I am trying to listen again to the podcast to pull the recipe out, but is over 2 hours long. I'll post more if/when I find the recipe.

Ok found it. It's at about the 1 hour 54 minute mark of the Podcast:

1lb ground meat
1tbl cumin powder
1tbl or more chile powder
Diced Onion
2 Cans Rotel
2 Cans Bush's Baked Chili Beans
1 4 ounce can green chiles
1 can refried beans

Brown the first four ingredients in a pan.
Add the last four ingredients to pan or crockpot and simmer.

That's about all the guidance he gave. I feel like the refried beans are stirred in towards the end. I imagine he would add salt during the browning.

No pictures, but I did make this. I’ll start with the caveat that I’m not a chef and I’m not sure I got all the correct cans.
I couldn’t find bush’s baked chili beans, either baked beans or chili beans, so I got two cans of chili beans (mild spice). Rotel was also mild. I browned the meat and onion with the cumin and chili seasonings, then added everything but the refried beans.I let this simmer for a good 20 min then added the refried beans and co tinier to let it simmer for20 more min.
I thought the flavors were good. The refried beans were a little strong at the start but I acclimated by the end. My wife wished it had even more tomatoes, but she’s been known to suffer from occasional vegetarianism.
I’ll keep this recipe in my pocket for sure but may keep fiddling with things to get it just dialed in. Thanks again everyone!

Hi Everyone, I also made this recipe. It was good, but I also have a few tasting notes/preferences. If I made it again, I would make it above, but I would also add another can of Rotel and would also add either tomato sauce or tomato juice for a slightly thinner consistency and more tomato flavor.

This is going in the crock tomorrow since it looks like a snow day. Can’t wait to try it (Wisconsin style of course... noodles galore)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back