PEAX Equipment

SFC is putting forth some effort this year......

Hang in there, Lee will get you into the Reds. Looking forward to your next post.

Another wonderful morning in the books. We were out on a property very near the Lotus grounds. The same routine was followed. We were in the high seat to start. In we'll before sunrise we got a very pleasant sunrise while to bunches of pheasants and other birds. With the sun up a roe came out quite a distance away and we spent about 30-45 minutes watching it munch the hedge and straining to call a sex. As the does are not in season for another 4 weeks it was important. In the end SHE showed her rump and that was that. Once down from the seat we walked fields and hedges peeping around corners and scanning edges. We also checked a couple of Lee's trail cams and saw that a few reds had tripped them 2 days ago as well as a muntjac. Off to my lodgings for a bit of a nap and then out this afternoon on a different property in the same area. Having great fun chatting with Lee and seeing how common hunters feel around the world. :)

U

p from a nap after this morning's stalk. :)

Last evening we met up late afternoon and headed out to our 3rd farm of the trip. On the rude Lee told me there were no high seats at this farm so we would be doing all foot stalking. I am always good to stretch my legs a bit and the weather has been absolutely gorgeous.

We were out in the fields walking hedge rows with about 2.5 hours to go of daylight. At the first hedge we were encouraged to see to roe does (out of season) in a field not in Lee's permission. Watched them for a few minutes then moved on. We were down quite ways on a row that split 4 different big fields when we tucked into a pass through between fields. we stayed put and scanned edges for about an hour. Saw lots of hares, uncountable numbers of pheasants and grouse and quite a few Egyptian geese dropping into the stubble.......

After sitting still it was time for more mooching about between fields on a big circuit headed back in the direction of Lee's van.
Down the first field caught some movement. We settled and watched for a minute. 2 roe deer eased out of some tall stuff and began browsing. Inspection found them to be a yearling buck and doe pair (probably brother and sister).

They were between us and the direction we wanted to travel so we slowly walked down a row that way. They waited until we we about 50m to jogg off the direction we had come from. We were hoping there might be some more roe with them but no such luck. We did see what had the young ones interest. There was waste pile of grain just up against the hedge.

We kept on that hedge until we got to the next intersection /field. Lee peered around the corner and just as we were about to step into the open he froze. "muntjac" was the whisper. To our left about 20 ft out from the hedge was a mj buck having a nibble on beet tops. Lee looked him over and figured he was worth a try.

We were only about 150 yards from him with the wind directly in our faces. Lee said that smell was there only sharp sense so I tucked in behind him and we slowly eased up the hedge stopping when he rose his head. Finally Lee felt the joker had probably had enough. He put up the sticks and I raised the Brno 270 on them. The scope is a fixed 8x and it took me a few seconds to frame the deer. When I did I could only see from about mid torso up due to the veg about. I asked Lee if I was good just as the buck raised his head. He said yes, I touched the trigger and then he said "Well, he's dead!" Like that I had harvested a nice representative mj buck.

A grin filled my face. Lee loaded the mj jn his pack whole (they are LITTLE guys) and we continued on back toward the van as light faded. When we were almost back we past the off limits field we had seen roe does in earlier. A peak in there showed a roe doe and her fawns. A great way to finish the night. My hosts came to pick me up I showed the buck off for a few and then off home for bangers and mash along with a few beverages. Sleep came easily.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1555.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1555.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail_IMG_1552.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1552.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190921_185808.jpg
    20190921_185808.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190921_184336.jpg
    20190921_184336.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190921_180935.jpg
    20190921_180935.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190921_180920.jpg
    20190921_180920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190921_185808.jpg
    20190921_185808.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190921_184336.jpg
    20190921_184336.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190921_180935.jpg
    20190921_180935.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190921_180920.jpg
    20190921_180920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail_IMG_1552.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1552.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Congratulations on the Munjac buck. I heard that they taste like lamb. Will you get an opportunity to have a meal of Munjac or is it going to the butcher? Glad to hear that you had some success on your UK hunting adventure.

Congratulations on the Munjac buck. I heard that they taste like lamb. Will you get an opportunity to have a meal of Munjac or is it going to the butcher? Glad to hear that you had some success on your UK hunting adventure.
I will not get a chance to taste. Flying to soon and can't bring meat home. with or without the buck I had a GREAT time.

To wrap up my time was the morning hunt today. Out before sun up to peruse the fields at the same spot as the previous evening. Saw animals all through the morning. More mj's to begin with. Saw another buck worth chasing but he was off to the wood line. The we saw a couple of mj does we tried a stalk on to reduce numbers but the wind shifted to kill that

A few more fields brought us to the juvenile does from the night before. This time they were with their mum. We followed them to another field and paid too much attention. We didn't see the roe buck in the field until he was trotting into off limits. :( that was pretty much the last of sightings We made it back to the van and off to the pub for a full English to close out our time together. .....simply an awesome time.

Last edited:
Went to the range today to make sure my '06 was good to go and put a selection of slugs through the Benelli to see what she liked best. Rifle was spot (pic at 100m) on and it turns out the Benelli likes regular Federal 3" slugs the best. They ended up with about 2-3" groups with just a ghost ring at 50 yds. Shootin irons for the rest of the year are good.

Attachments

• 20191004_115516 (1).jpg
    20191004_115516 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Time to kick this pig again!!! I am rounding stuff up in the garage and getting ready to load up Doug. I have to admit I didn't sleep worth a crap last night, I was just t damned excited!!! Plan is to be out of here by late morning and off to CPOs in Wellington. We'll make sure we have everything ready to go tonight and head out at Zero Dark Thirty. Carrying a Bull and doe tag on this excursion.

Made it to Wellington, filled up Doug( he got almost 20 mpg on the way up here) and made my obligatory stop at McDs. Now at CPOs. We finalized the pack on the trucks and are getting ready to chow. Here are the pics just prior to departure.20191015_121300.jpg

Attachments

• 20191015_121319.jpg
    20191015_121319.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: LCH
Be careful what you dream of........ ;)

We got to the trail head off of the county road nice and early on Wednesday morning after leaving CPOs house ridiculously early ( he works a split shift so we left when he got home). The weather was cool, clear and beautiful. There is a an area at the start of the trail where a guy named Mike who owns a beautiful old High Boy (personalized plate "Huntin") camps in trailers with his buddies and they were all pulling in the same time we were. We stopped for a chat and contemplated whether to chain up as we usually do. Looking around we noticed one thing right away.....it was dry and dusty (more on that later). As such we figured no need for chains and we were right. Dry all the way through to camp. Even the 3 major areas there are usually mud holes of some description were dry.

The rest of the day was spent setting up camp and settling in.

Attachments

• 20191016_154337.jpg
    20191016_154337.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20191016_154407.jpg
    20191016_154407.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20191016_154430.jpg
    20191016_154430.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191018_181812.jpg
    20191018_181812.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thursday was chore day. The day was spent cutting firewood and helping CPOs neighbor set up his camp. We cut and split close to a cord of wood as we were supposed to stay through the whole season and snow and cold were forecast. Saw a big, puffy fox but nothing else in the vicinity of camp.

Friday we usually spend doing a walk around "scout" of the area and generally being mellow. While out and about we were seeing NO sign of animals at all. We hunt this spot yearly and know where the travel corridors, bedding areas and sanctuary spots are.......nothing to been seen anywhere. We walked out all the way to where the campers were and back along with around a few drainages. We came back in the afternoon to sit and relax in the sun with the knowledge that, while we hadn't seen sign, there were also NO other camps all the way back to ours. About mid afternoon a real public land shit show.

We hear a motor coming up the valley and it is what I dread the most.....not only an ATV, but an 4 man Razor. They stopped at the bottom of the valley we camp in at a trail head that goes up and over a ridge to the meadow I have harvested most of my animals from. They backed up about 30 feet, were obviously looking at the BIG sign stating NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES, shifted back into gear and went STRAIGHT UP THE TRAIL. We sat there cussing but not surprised. A few minutes later we could here the thing and assumed they had parked at the top to walk around. I am NOT a hardcore hiker/backpacking type guy anymore but THIS type of laziness and disregard for rules chaps my @$$!! About 45 minutes later we here the motor again and down comes the "lowest common denominator" bunch. To show just HOW stupid the group was they turned UP the valley and started coming straight at our camp. I handed off my beer and stepped into the middle of the trail to stop them.

I will abstain from going into details about what I said, but I will say that it was a one sided conversation that was had in my old school NCO voice with knife hand included for free. All they had to say when I stopped was "We've never been here before, we stopped at the top.....and we were just following this WAY POINT our buddy gave us" as they held out a Garmin........ I was fuming but at least one of my buddies took snaps of their registration while I was "talking". It seems every year there is now some kind of ATV crap.

The rest of the day was spent getting back to being mellow and trying to get ready for the opener.

The morning of the opener CPO and I were up early and down to the big meadow ( about a mile and a half long) I was speaking of earlier where I have had success. It was a cold one and we glassed all the way to lunch time with nothing more than a fox and a couple of coyotes to show for it. The afternoon was spent up higher checking another drainage and the face of the mountain.

Attachments

• 20191019_070815.jpg
    20191019_070815.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back