SFC is putting forth some effort this year......

elkduds

Thank you for standing up against stupidity/indifference on trails closed to motor vehicles.

SFC B

Saturday night it snowed in earnest (about 6") and I was excited to get out to it. I love snow in generally but ESPECIALLY when hunting. I love the scenery, the ability to see brown moving against white and the feel of actual weather :) Along with the snow came a strong, continuous wind blowing in from the Flat Tops. The stmorning was rough, still NO tracks or sign to be found and cold. I came into came for lunch and then headed out to another spot to glass early afternoon. The weather never loosened up but I was determined to be out until dark. I am stubborn if nothing else.

As the light faded I rose to put on the MR pack and insert my rifle into the gun bearer. I could tell instantly something wasn't right. Thankfully I only had about a mile to camp. As I arrived at the tent and put my stuff down I almost fell. I have lower back and hip issues and the combination of the cold and how I was sitting tweaked me badly. My back went into spasm and it was a long, mostly sleepless night. Laying down all night had eased the back some but there was no way I could go out on Monday.

Attachments

SFC B

Monday I nursed myself and hung at camp as CPO and our buddies headed out. The weather continued to blow and snow shower. The absolute lack of animals or sign continued all day. We ate and sat by the stove continuing to be in remarkably good spirits given what was going on. I went to bed early and hoped for a reprieve come morning.

Tuesday morning both CPO and his boy woke sickly. I was feeling a good deal better and CPO agreed to head out with me. We glassed and moved a couple of times throughout the day and the snow let up for the most part. Still nothing to see. Toward the end of the day CPO regrettably let me know that he just couldn't keep the boy out there sick anymore and with more weather predicted we were going to have to break camp the next day. I have to admit that my back is still not good and I would not have been able to haul an elk if we had found one.

On the way back to camp we saw our only tracks of the week, a cow and calf headed into the deepest darkest blowdown black hole. Neither of us had a cow tag anyway.....just one final poke from the hunting gods :)

Back at camp that night I broke out the dutch oven and cooked up a peach cobbler for CPO (it was his birthday). We stayed up talking before drifting off.

In the morning we rose, broke camp and headed out by late morning. As we got to the trail head you could see what was now coming off the Flat Tops. We took of the chains we had put on to get out and made tracks.

Up to Walden and all the through to Laramie we were getting bits of weather here and there. We made Wellington before dark and that was the end of the official trips.

*** a couple of side notes
-Doug once again performed like a champ doing everything I asked and chugging along at MPG that makes me smile. The only NEAR hiccup was when one of the rubber tensioners on one of my tire chains broke during installation. Looked like I was going to be on 3 until CPO broke out mad 550 cord skills!!! That joker last the whole trail and the pics are just as I was about to take them off.
-To put in perspective the lack of animals, the piece of public land we hunt is kind of a finger surrounded by private on 3 sides that is all outfitter-ed up and even if we aren't having luck you can generally hear the "shooting parties" down on the ranches.......we heard as many shots total (last day of 1st season through leaving ) as we would usually hear on opening morning. Maybe less.
-As for the be careful what you dream of line......I dream of snow and a lack of hunting pressure. I got it this year but no animals to go with it :)

Next up for me........IL whitetails in 3 weeks!!! Time to reset and prep :)

Attachments

Addicting

550 is the duck tape of the military, it can fix anything, while also being a fashion accessory.

Too bad on your elk hunt, you should have some fun on the IL hunt. Are your shotgun skills all tuned up?

SFC B

550 is the duck tape of the military, it can fix anything, while also being a fashion accessory.

Too bad on your elk hunt, you should have some fun on the IL hunt. Are your shotgun skills all tuned up?
I installed a ghost ring sight on it and went through 5 different slugs to find the ones it liked best. I was getting about 2in groups at 50m (smoothbore) so I am pretty confident out to about 100.

SFC B

Got my instruction packet from from the Corps of Engineers yesterday. Looks like they will be feeding us as well as putting us up on the property. Scent killed all of my hunting clothes and putting them in vacuum bags with cover scent and packed them up. I got some great news last week as well. One of my old bosses has settled outside the KC, KS area and I will be making my stop in transit to visit he and his wife. This is the guy that got me into the SOF arena and got me assigned to 10th GRP and CO. I owe him BIG :)

SFC B

Just returned to the house after my welding class (new class started a couple of weeks ago and I will be working it until June this time) to a nice surprise. I ordered some Vortex Diamaondback HDs in 12x50 (great price through the VIP program) and they are already here!!! They also came with a pretty decent case.....not better than the MR I have but still a nice surprise. First view through them made me happy. I didn't know if they would get here in time but now they will definitely be making the trip east with me :)

Attachments

SFC B

A little bit of a downer today......I am allowed to bring an "assistant"/buddy with me on the upcoming hunt in IL and had my fraternity brother from IN scheduled to come. He is an LEO in IN and just found out he has been put on a detail for that weekend and can't make it. Crap.....hadn't seen him in a few years and was definitely looking forward to some buddy hang out time in conjunction with the hunt. :/

SFC B

Finishing up my prep today for the trip east!!! Last of the laundry is in the dryer now, hunting equipment is out in the garage and the tank on the VW is full. I am stopping in KC,KS tomorrow night and I can make it all the way on a tank full. Looks like I will miss the rain here and then catch it in KS. Long drive with good company :)